Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » New RWS 34 - Target Pic
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
New RWS 34 - Target Pic 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
eagle24
Member
Member
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 23
Location: Alabama
Well I shot my new rifle this afternoon. RWS 34, UTG base with droop compensation, Leapers Low Space Age Rings, Hawke 3x9-40AO. The rifle and all accessories seemed of good quality. I was impressed with the quality of the base and rings for the price. I think I will like the scope and the MAP-6 reticle. I mounted everything using blue loctite except the scope ring halves. I wanted to shoot it first and make sure shimming wasn't necessary. Good thing, because I had to shim the front scope ring. It was shooting a good 5" high at 10 yards. A thin piece of plastic under the scope tube did the trick and I applied loctite and retorqued the scope ring screws.

The trigger broke crisply and the weight is acceptable. It does have a bit of creep, but not bad. I will see what I can do to improve it later. The rifle was pretty quiet, actually better than the Gamo Whisper DX. In fact, there is no comparison between the two IMO. This (RWS 34) is a much better rifle on all accounts. OK....enough of the BS gun review.

I shot 4 different pellets this afternoon: Meisterkugeln; H&N Barracuda Match; JSB Diablo Exact; JSB Diable Exact Heavy. I won't rule any of them out just yet, because the rifle has less than 150 rounds through it. I noticed after I finished shooting that two of the stock screws were loose. That probably didn't help accuracy any. This is the last target I shot. It is pretty obvious the Meisterkugeln are going to be good. The H&N Barracuda's showed promise on several targets as well. I was surprised by the vast differences in the POI from one pellet to another.

25yd target
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Diana = Lack of TWANG. Mr. Green Very good rifles with a build in spring guide indeed. I like the groupings, and they'll get better. Wink

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Most certainly. I like how the MK's and Barracudas are grouping. I think with the light JSBs your hold is off or something, judging by the couple shots very close together.

Anyway... I'm happy you're pleased with the rifle (as expected). Will only get better with time. And the Gamo... well... it's a Gamo, did you really expect much, if anything from them?

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
eagle24
Member
Member
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 23
Location: Alabama
fritz wrote:
Most certainly. I like how the MK's and Barracudas are grouping. I think with the light JSBs your hold is off or something, judging by the couple shots very close together.

Anyway... I'm happy you're pleased with the rifle (as expected). Will only get better with time. And the Gamo... well... it's a Gamo, did you really expect much, if anything from them?


Maybe my hold, but I don't think so. I shot a good many targets with each pellet and the JSB Diablo Exacts never shot a good group. The Exact Heavys shot a couple of decent groups, but by far the MK's were best yesterday. I paid a lot of attention to how the rifle was resting on the sandbags and shoulder pressure as well as trigger finger position and my grip.

As for Gamo, their marketing campaign is very deceptive for someone new to air rifles IMO. My impression was that Gamo was one of the best for the price. I was floored when I layed my hands on the RWS 34. I didn't expect near this much in a $200 rifle.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Resistance to the Diana is futile. Mr. Green

Try some el cheapo Crosman pointed hunters in the milk carton box, and RWS super domes. If you really wanted to spend some money, IIRC JSB offers different pellet sizes (4.49, 4.5, 4.51 etc.) It may just be the head size and barrel don't work well. Except to test this, it may cost quite a pretty penny just for some pellets.

In my Diana, the el cheapo Crosmans shoot OK, especially for plinking. I would not use them on game, however (BAD experience).

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
eagle24
Member
Member
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 23
Location: Alabama
Did some more shooting this afternoon (150 or so shots 25yd bench). The groups were tighter than yesterday, I suspect due to my tightening the stock screws that were loose and maybe the spring is settling down. I got one group with the Meisterkugeln that was a single ragged hole not much over 1/4" (5 shots). Got several good dime sized groups with the H&N Barracuda Match. I like them, they are quieter and the rifle has a nice solid recoil with them. I did have some weird things happen today. Got three 5 O'clock fliers (2 with MK's and 1 with H&N) that were at least 1-1/4" off the main group. JSB exacts just don't shoot in this rifle, the exact heavys are not too bad. I also bought the RWS Pellet Sampler. I tried some RWS Superdomes and they shot pretty well (under 3/4"). I also tried the Hollow Points and they were not bad either. The pointed ones shot a 2" group about 8" high. They must be really light. I have no use for them anymore, maybe throw them in my lead melting pot.

On the trigger adjustment. Does it shorten the pull on the second stage? I've got to work on the trigger some, but it is not bad. Compared to the Gamo it's a Rolls Royce.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Ahh... let me remember... OK, if you do anything I mention, I nor AGH assumes no responsibility for your failure nor bodily harm.

http://home.comcast.net/~scot_for_sale/guns/RWS48_tune/index.html

Scroll down (all the way) for a good schematic of the trigger.

Screw in the adjustment screw to shorten the first stage. This should also increase pull weight.

I can't remember what exactly I did, but I do believe it required removing the shiny pin from the blade (next to the pivot pin). Either way, the end result is a much longer first, shorter second, and lighter pull weight. It also passed the drop test (rather, whacking the butt with a rubber mallet on a bench).

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
eagle24
Member
Member
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 23
Location: Alabama
I think I will wait till I install the JM spring and seal before I do any trigger work. I shot again this evening and the trigger felt even better. I think it is smoothing up some and is pretty acceptable as it is. The H&N Barracudas are the pellet for this gun. I zeroed the scope at 25 yds with them and from a bench, I'd say I can hit a nickel every shot and a dime 95 out of 100 shots. I get an occasional tighter group with the MK's, but the Barracudas are very consistent. I finished up after the scope was zeroed with two 10-shot 25yd offhand targets. I'm having a ball with this rifle. Now I don't have to wait all week to go to the range and shoot.

Here are the offand targets at 25yds. 10 shots on each.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
25 yards is your maximum distance? (Not that I'm complaining, I only got about 10 meters. Mr. Green

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
New RWS 34 - Target Pic 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.