Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Noob seeking advice - please help. Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Noob seeking advice - please help. 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
southpaw
Member
Member
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 28
Location: Newberry, SC
Hi there,

Been browsing the forum a bit - nice place you have here. It's been a while since I've shot an AG, but I'm familiar with firearms, safety, and have shot AGs in the past, but nothing fancy, just some Wal-Mart variety .177s.

I'm looking at getting an air gun for multi-use: plinking, pest control, and small game hunting. I've pretty much decided on .22 caliber. I live in the city and may also do some pest control around here, but also have access to other places.

Budget isn't a whole lot: <$250. What do you recommend as far as gun/scope/mount/pellets? Also, from where? Basically I'm asking what do I need to get started in that ballpark price.

I've been looking a bit on Pyramydair.com and like the following:
Beeman RAM Air Rifle Combo, RS2 Trigger (like the $159 price tag)
Walther Talon Magnum (like the looks and power)
BenjaminTrail NP (price is pushing it, but like the power and supposed quiet)
Beeman RS3 Combo (really like the looks - power is a bit low???)


So, what do you think? What do you recommend? All help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message
how about a Crosman Quest 800 .22 ? 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
BWANA
New Member
New Member
Joined: 26 Feb 2010
Posts: 3
I would add the Quest 800 .22 to your list, with a Centerpoint 3x9x32 or a Barska 3x12x40 scope, Gamo Hunter domed pellets or daisy hollowpoints. They stopped making the Quest 800 a few years ago but you can still buy them. Mine is deadly on rabbits from 30 yards or less and well within your budget. From your forum name I assume that you are lefthanded. This gun is great for us lefties. Good luck and safe shooting.

_________________
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
Lipoly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 06 Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Location: St. Louis, MO, USA
My buddy had a Quest in .177 and loved it. The cocking mechanism did end up breaking on him pretty quick (less than 500 shots), but the entropy surrounding this guy is known to be at least 10x normal...so it was likely his fault (I literally lol'd the first time I saw how he cocked a springer: butt in right hand, barrel in left w/breach facing straight DOWN). My point being if you can find a Quest in .22 it may be just what you're looking for.

_________________
Philip
RWS 350 .22 w/Leapers 4-16x50
Crossman 1377
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
Hey there ,and welcome.. Mr. Green Another good choice is the Ruger Air Hawk combo...even though it's .177.It's a Diana 34 clone.Very well made for the money...... Thumb Up!
View user's profile Send private message
Re: how about a Crosman Quest 800 .22 ? 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
southpaw
Member
Member
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 28
Location: Newberry, SC
BWANA wrote:
I would add the Quest 800 .22 to your list, with a Centerpoint 3x9x32 or a Barska 3x12x40 scope, Gamo Hunter domed pellets or daisy hollowpoints. They stopped making the Quest 800 a few years ago but you can still buy them. Mine is deadly on rabbits from 30 yards or less and well within your budget. From your forum name I assume that you are lefthanded. This gun is great for us lefties. Good luck and safe shooting.


Thanks to you and all the others for the suggestions - still like to hear from more of you.

Yes, I am a leftie, but oddly enough shoot right-handed as my right eye is dominant. Go figure.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
You can probably get a REAL Diana 34 in .22 for about $230.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/rws-34-air-rifle.shtml

Bwana's suggestion of the CP 3-9x40 is a good choice. For my preferences, a 4-12x40 would be better. Get a good set of mounts, or you WILL have problems.

The stock iron sights are pretty good, and will work fine, adding an aperture would make them excellent (I like the front post design). With a scope/mounts it might come out to about $275, but well worth the extra money.

Besides that... you will want another airgun, so might as well spend a bit more now, so you're satiated for a bit longer (and get a better built gun). Not that there is anything wrong with the Crosman.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
southpaw
Member
Member
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 28
Location: Newberry, SC
fritz wrote:
You can probably get a REAL Diana 34 in .22 for about $230.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/rws-34-air-rifle.shtml

Bwana's suggestion of the CP 3-9x40 is a good choice. For my preferences, a 4-12x40 would be better. Get a good set of mounts, or you WILL have problems.

The stock iron sights are pretty good, and will work fine, adding an aperture would make them excellent (I like the front post design). With a scope/mounts it might come out to about $275, but well worth the extra money.

Besides that... you will want another airgun, so might as well spend a bit more now, so you're satiated for a bit longer (and get a better built gun). Not that there is anything wrong with the Crosman.


I looked up your recommendations and the total I got was a bit more - about $330 from Pyramydair ($220 rifle, $80 scope, and not sure what constitutes good mounts, but $30 for those).

If I'm going to be in that range, I prefer the specs and looks on these:
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/benjamin-sheridan-super-streak-air-rifle.shtml
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Trail_NP_XL/2052
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Walther_Talon_Magnum_with_Nitro_Piston/1706

Anyone have any specific comments on any of the guns, which you'd choose, and I'd like the "why" too - trying to learn. Also, what's a good mount? Comments on the original guns I mentioned? Based on the fact that no one has commented on them, should I assume they're junk?

Thanks for helping a noob along!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
The Super Streak is a great rifle. It was OK out of the box. The spring broke after about 1,500 shots, put a Jim Maccari Diana 350 spring in her. Over 5,000 shots later it's shooting amazingly well. Capable of about 3/8" at 35 yards when I do my part, about 3/4" at 50 when I do mine... all with CPH. Shoots RWS pointed better, but they have a lower BC and are more expensive. I would buy this gun again (but I'd put the JM spring in it right away). Don't have an aftermarket trigger in it, yet. So it should be more theoretically accurate (to help me do my part better) if I did that.

If you just want to get the job done, get the Quest. Crosman is capable of some good guns. I just prefer the Diana, because it is better built.

No matter what, the first gun starts a chain reaction (addiction), known as "Airgun Acquisition Syndrome". AAS is a terrible, terminal disease. The only known treatment is the constant purchase and use of airguns. Powder burners can be a quick fix, but nothing will satiate the addiction like some air power.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
southpaw
Member
Member
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 28
Location: Newberry, SC
So, if I gather what you are saying, for something in the $300 range, your best recommendation would be:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/rws-34-air-rifle.shtml
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/CenterPoint_Adventure_Class_3_9x40AO_Rifle_Scope_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Reticle_1_Tube/1656

And to mount it:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_Scope_Mount_Base_Fits_RWS_Diana_Rifles_Gamo_Whisper_Others/2639
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_Premium_1_Rings_Medium_Weaver_Mount_See_Thru/789

or would this be better:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_Accushot_1_Pc_Mount_w_1_Rings_High_11mm_Dovetail/636


I think I'm getting the hint that speed isn't everything. Shootability and quality are important, and the Diana RWS34 would be better for plinking and still quite good at hunting as opposed to some of the others? Is that it?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
In reality the 34 and Quest will perform at about the same power level, 14fpe.

I'd go with the scope you posted above, and the Leaper's rings. Most (if not all) airguns use 11mm, not a 1913 weaver.

Shootability and quality are major things, with the Diana you are paying for them, opposed to the Quest. Neither should really be that hard to shoot accurately, especially for someone who has shot springers before (assuming you were any good with them).

A springer is definitely nothing like a 'burner. Not even going to elaborate, just hold it how it wants to be held, and do it the same every time. Caress it, give it space, love it.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
southpaw
Member
Member
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 28
Location: Newberry, SC
I kept reading everything over and finally placed an order with Pyramydair very late the Saturday before Easter. Man, are they quick! I used regular UPS Ground, and the package arrived Wednesday. Unfortunately, my week has been nuts and I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet, but I will on Monday! I'm hoping to get some photos taken and posted soon. THANKS for all the help!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Good to hear.

Pics, of everything. Now.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
southpaw
Member
Member
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 28
Location: Newberry, SC
Gee, Fritz, with an "invitation" like that, how can I refuse.


The package arrived:





Inside the box was . . .





And inside that box . . .






When I got it together (minus the sling)


BenjaminTrail NP combo
RWS Rifle Shooter's Kit, .22 (w/ tin of 14.5 Superdomed pellets)
RWS Superdome .22 Cal, 14.5 Grains, Domed (another one)
Gamo Hunter .22 Cal, 15.3 Grains, Domed
Crosman Premier .22 Cal, 14.3 Grains, Hollowpoint
Crosman Premier .22 Cal, 14.3 Grains, Domed (2 tins)
Benjamin Discovery .22 Cal, 14.3 Grains, Hollowpoint (2 tins)
Beeman Crow-Magnum .22 Cal, 18.20 Grains, Hollowpoint




I can't wait to put some lead down range . . . it's been agony waiting.

So, for the curious, why did I go with THIS gun? Several reasons, some of which came to me the more I thought about the decision (in no particular order):
1. Price was a big part - quite a bit less $ than some others.
2. Benjamin / Crossman is a brand I've grown up with, so a bit of nostalgia, but also one I trust and one that seems to have a pretty good reputation and customer service.
3. Lower noise level than some others - my 6 year old has an aversion to loud noise and I'm planning on getting him his first BB gun to begin teaching him how to handle a gun soon.
4. Like the looks of the gun - superficial I know, but hey, it's my gun!
5. Only real complaint I read on the gun was the trigger, a matter easily solved with the GRTIII that arrived the same day. Once I put a few hundred rounds down range and make sure everything's working well, I'll swap out the stock trigger for the GRTIII.
6. Like having Nitro Piston.
7. Value: came with CP 3-9x40 scope, sling, sling mounts.



I'll let you know my thoughts after the first shooting next week.

Thanks for all the help and really like the "feel" of this place.

See ya around,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 1582
Location: New Zealand
hi..
Nice gun..
Let us know how it shoots..
been thinking of getting one of the crosman/Rem /Beji
gas ram guns..But what one?...
Mite be the laminate stock one when it comes out
in a few months...

Pete
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Sexy.

Now... for the second "invitation". Pics of groups. Now.

I don't really like the synthetic part, but the stock design would look great in laminate. Actually, in a HW97esque blue laminate, that would be uber sexy.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Noob seeking advice - please help. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.