Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » "Principals of Quick Kill"
"Principals of Quick Kill" 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Years ago, the Army used Daisy BB rifles to teach instinctive shooting. They called the teaching program "quick kill". There is a manual out there; I used to see it for sale as apaperback and I know I have it on a disk somewhere. Any of you seen this manual?

I'd like to find a copy of it and 'follow the program'. It just sounds like a neat shooting thing to do this upcoming summer. Fun with an air rifle, and it may even improve my shotgunning.

The manual was titled "Principals of Quick Kill" or a title close to that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
donec
No but I was trained by the Army that way and it does work quite well about all I can remember is getting to the point I could one handed hit dimes in the air with a BB rifle about 8 out of 10 tries just by shooting where I looked and pointing just like you would point at something. I'll be trying to find that book also just to see if it fits with what I learned. I just did a search and check this out.
http://www.i-kirk.info/misc/quickkill/qwikill.htm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
packrat
Uhhhhhh....if you know you have it on disc...... Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
packrat wrote:
Uhhhhhh....if you know you have it on disc...... Laughing Laughing

Yeah, I know...One would think that it would be easier for me to find it that it would be for me to try to find a paper copy to buy. I got so much crap that I can't find the stuff I know I have...somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Donec, very cool that you were one of those trained with this program.

Scribd does have this manual. I for one am still going to try to find a paper copy because I prefer 'real' books. Anyway, you can pull it up for free on scribd. If you're also interested in finding a hard copy; the manual's military # is TT 2023-71-1. Hopefuly that will help in tracking a copy down.

If I find it for sale I'll post the source here.

As a side note; the Blue Book lists the Daisy model 2299 as being the one the Govt bought for this program and says that the property mark was stamped or stencled onto the stocks. Anybody have one? Do these turn up? It would be a great item to add to an airgun collection....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
donec
The sad part of the down load book is it is pdf and not done well as it is hard to read. They say that you can get text but the text file is empty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I found a copy of the book in paper back on Amazon. I should have looked there first, that is after all where books are sold Embarassed . There are more used copies available, but I grabbed the cheapest one that was available.

More on the subject of instinct shooting. There was a man named Lucky McDaniels who taught trick shooting and quick draw all over the country in the '50s and '60s. He wrote a book (the only example of that I could find was hugely expensive, but I'm sure there are more out there) There was also a book written of his method written by one of his many students. That one is a little more common in print. Again, I grabbed the only one in the $20 range that was on Amazon.

Anyway, Mc Daniels taught his lessons with a Daisy BB gun, students later working their way up to a 22 then a shotgun. He must have been doing his lessons in some remote places to have people shoot a 22 in the air like that Shocked ) I'm not sure what he used for the quick draw and the pistol point and shoot, may have been an airgun but I haven't found out conclusively. Daisy made a version of their rifle called a "Lucky McDaniels" model that came with no sights. Another collectable to keep on the lookout for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
An update.

I have read both books and customized a BB gun. The gun is a basic Daisy that I made an adult length stock for and just electrical taped the sights.

Following the 'lesson plan' I've been practicing the presentation and just started shooting at tossed targets yesterday. Lots of misses, then some hits Smile . I'll keep practicing and see where this goes. Aparently it's not at all uncommon to hit asprins with a bit of practice.

Once I get some confidence with this, I'll invest in an air pistol to dedicate to the purpose.
Principles of Quick Kill 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
Just4Him
I have a copy of the Training Manual used by the military in PDF format. I wouldn't mind emailing it to people if it's only a few or somehow posting it on the site for anyone who wants it. I also have a copy that I cleaned up some because the original document I got it from wasn't in the best condition.
Re: Principles of Quick Kill 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
donec
Just4Him wrote:
I have a copy of the Training Manual used by the military in PDF format. I wouldn't mind emailing it to people if it's only a few or somehow posting it on the site for anyone who wants it. I also have a copy that I cleaned up some because the original document I got it from wasn't in the best condition.
Is it the manual that has been photographed or it is the actual text with some added pics? I have the photographed pdf and it is so very poorly done it is impossible to read. I would like to find a text version so I could test and refresh my memory.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
BBfunguy
I know it's a pretty old topic, but the "Principles of Quick Kill" book has recently been republished in paperback, completely re-type set with most of the typo errors from the original corrected, and the photos cleaned up quite a bit (if you have the fuzzy originals, you know it can be a bit of a challenge to read!).

You can pick it up on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/1493725688?tag=preparcom-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=1493725688&adid=1TFK752B3EE59Z8SE9YF&

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
NFG
the old version is here as a PDF
http://www.patriotresistance.com/TT23-71-1-PrinciplesOfQuickKill-May1967.pdf
"Principals of Quick Kill" 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition