Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Tar
Tar 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
Slavia
So most of us know that tar type products are available for quieting a twangy spring. Does anybody know about making your own?

A while back I read on the Mexican forum (mexicoarmado.com) where a guy was melting roofing tar into a grease base. He tested it by putting some between his thumb and index finger, and if it formed strings when he pulled the fingers apart, it was ready.

Today I was waxing my old wooden cross-country skis, where you have to melt in a pine tar base to get the wax to stick. I got to wondering what would happen if I melted a bit into a synthetic grease. You can get either the pine tar that needs to be melted in with a torch, or a liquid form where the pine tar is dissolved in a volatile solvent. They also sell pine tar for adding "grip" to baseball bats.

Any information, experience, links, or ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I personally have never been too comfortable with the idea of adding what is effectively sludge to the spring/guides of a springer to eliminate twang. And of course, a different sludge, er, tar, needs to be used depending on ambient whether conditions. In Mexico or Southern California, not necessarily a big deal with a temp spread of maybe 40-50*- but in the snow belt where the difference between summer and winter temperatures can be 100+ degrees, this becomes more relevant.

An idea that I saw awhile back that was interesting (on a Russian or Polish forum I believe) where the spring was surrounded by a plastic liner- made out of PET plastic. Of course the plastic and petroleum lube likely didn't go well together over time- but I found the idea somewhat interesting and it insulated the spring enough to virtually eliminate twang- even more so than a tar. Perhaps an acetylate tube could be machined to surround the spring when compressed and thereby avoid any petroleum-lube/plastic disintegration issues (?)

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
I personally have never been too comfortable with the idea of adding what is effectively sludge to the spring/guides of a springer to eliminate twang.

I understand your point. It does seem counter-intuitive to take something that should slide freely and then add something to gum it up.

Quote:
but in the snow belt where the difference between summer and winter temperatures can be 100+ degrees, this becomes more relevant.

Also a good point. The other night I went out to the garage and with a temperature of -27 Deg. F. the drill press just didn't want to get up to speed. BTW - thanks, rsterne, for sending that our way.

Quote:
the spring was surrounded by a plastic liner

What, a precisely engineered solution when I could re-purpose something totally unrelated? I never thought of that.

Anyway, while I suspected all of the above to be true, I just wanted to see if anyone had anything to support or reject the notion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
rsterne
Quote:
thanks, rsterne, for sending that our way.

Not a problem, there is another one here right now you can have as well.... Mr. Green

Bob

Tar 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing