Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns » Me and "BB" guns
Me and "BB" guns 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
birdmove
I just found this "sub-forum" on this website. Funny, I did a search recently for BB gun forums and came up with nothing. I've shot a lot of powder guns in my 55 years, and competed in long range handun mettallic silhouette matches. Last December I picked up my first pellet air rifle, a Crosman model 1077 CO2 air rifle. I've since got some more air rifles-a multi pump, and some springers.
I jus tbought a couple of CO2 repeating pistols, and wrote a reply on this forum to a gent looking to buy one. Here's what I wrote to him:

I'm going to make a suggestion as someone that just bought two of his first CO2 repeating air pistols (I have a CO2 rifle, a Crosman 1077,a multi pump and some springers). I bought a Crosman C11 and a Walther CP99 Compact Recon. Both of these are BB only. The C11 doesn't have blowback action, but it is a relative powerhouse.It has fixed sights and is rather loud.Accuracy is pretty good for a smooth bore BB pistol. My other gun may be what you are looking for. It is a true blowback, and the slide stays open after the last shot.Sights are fixed, but it comes with a Weaver rail bracket where you can mount a laser under the barrel. But what I like is it comes with a green dot scope easily mounted, and it is easily sighted in with windage and elevation adjustment. This gun is way quieter than the C11 but not as powerful.This gun is accurate!!Another good thing about it is, unlike many other CO2 repeating pistols with scope mounts, you can easily and completely also use the open sights with the scope still mounted.Now on both of these guns the fixed sights are off some, but with the green dot scope, I can move the point of impact as I like.These are smooth bore BB launchers, so I do my bench rest testing (and I just got both of these guns) at about 15-16 feet. I cab get gruos of slow fire bench rested of 1/4" and larger with the Walther.The C11 can't match my Walther for accuracy, but I'm getting better with it. I have crappy eyesight, so, for the C11 with the open sights, I have to remove my reading glasse, remove my hard contacts (astigmatism plus other problems), and shoot it with my eyes a'natural, but with clear safety glasses on. I got a decent group with the C11 tonight with four of five into about 1/2", and the 5th shot opening the group to an inch. This, from a guy that used to compete in 200 meter mettallic handgun silhouette matches, and id right well too.
I bought my Walther brand new for $89.95 US. If you aren't interested in the green dot sight (which I love!!), you can get it cheaper without the rail mount etc. pyramidair.com has some coming for $69.99 that are new, but had damage to the packages and are repackaged.These are the Recon model, but without the green dot sight (they do come with the rail mount).Read the reviews of the various Walther CP99 Compact models at pyramidair.com. I had always heard that CO2 BB pistols weren't accurate. My Walther flat lays them in there, and I'm getting better with the C11. The only negetives I can think of on the Walther are that the safety is a bit awkward to use.The CO2 cartridge is easier to load on the C11.From what Ive read the Walther should get a bit under 80 good shots per CO2 can. You'll know when it's running low because the recoiling slide won't recock the gun.There is a super handy red dot that shows itself on the back of the slide that tells you the gun is ready to fire. Neither gun has jammed on me or had any problem that wasn't caused by me like when I didn't seat the C11s magazine all the way into the gun. From what I've heard of the Crosman Pro77, it can't group anything like the CP99 Compact, but it is a blowback slide gun. The Walther has an easy but long trigger pull.The green dot has two powers on the switch that controls brightness, and mine came with two batteries (a mistake on the suppliers part I think). I like both these guns, but for accuracy and realism, the Walther CP99 Compact Recon is a fine choice.

As stated here, I wasn't expecting much in the way of accuracy from these pistols, but I am having fun shooting them, and the accuracy is much better than I had heard it would be.
Also, with the coming bans on lead that I am starting to hear about, I began looking into the feasability of some kind of accuracy from a BB gun. Anyone heard of the Daisy/Avanti model 499 BB gun? It's billed as the worlds most accurate BB rifle and has quite a following. I intend to get one of these too. Its said that gun is great at 5-10 meters, and it has peep sights.It's a single shot and a muzzle loader too.It's also about $100. You can search Tom Gaylords blog at www.pyramidair.com. Anyway, it all began as a fun way for me to be able to tardet shoot in my own back yard with pellet rifles.

Take care, Jon

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns