Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Ruger airhawk scope - help!
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Ruger airhawk scope - help! 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
michaelv
New Member
New Member
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2
I have a new Ruger Airhawk purchased at big 5 sporting goods. For awhile, i used the irons to plink in the backyard.

Time to mount the scope, says I!

I set up the rifle in a fixture, affixed the mounts with the rear one up against the stop thingie. After leveling and eyeballing, I placed the scope in the rings. Using new 4mm machine screws (the ones that came with the scope were, um, crap) I got er cinched down, lock-tighted everything (blue) and sighted her in.

I used a pencil to put witness marks on the scope tube fore and aft of each ring so I could ascertain if there was any creep present.

After 10-20 rounds thru the rifle, the scope has slid to the rear about .050" and now I don't know what to do.

I'm about to chuck the scope and stick with the irons (fiber optic sights).

I'm afraid that if I keep torquing the ring-screws, they're going to crimp the tube.

What do you all suggest this newbie-to-airgunning do?

Thanks, in advance!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Griff1950
Member
Member
Joined: 29 Apr 2009
Posts: 72
Location: Arkansas
Invest in some decent Weaver rings.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Seems you haven't got alot of choice but to tighten the rings a bit more. Remember to tighten the screws in a criss-cross pattern so as not to load one side up vs. the other. You may want to think twice about loc-tighting something before being sure it's tight enough.

You likely won't bend the tube, more likely you will strip the threads out of the mount before anything else.

Good luck, and Welcome to AirGunHome.com

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
You can get some THIN double sided tape. Just a bit will do, on each ring. Double up on one if you need a "shim" slightly.

Don't use glue or anything, you can damage the tube that way. The tape should peel right off or maybe take a bit of goof off to get the adhesive.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Somewhere I read that you can take a bit of automotive paint rubbing compound and paint it on the rings. The little bit of grit is supposed to keep things from sliding. Maybe worth a try.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
- Thanks to All - 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
michaelv
New Member
New Member
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2
I now have a number of excellent ideas to try. There is hope!

Thanks again!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
bltefft
Member
Member
Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Posts: 13
I let my scope (I have the Ruger Air Hawk, also) come to rest against the rear scope mount and it worked great.

Then I bought me a TF 89 with a TF 3-9x44 AO air rifle scope. I liked the scope so much that I bought another (used one for $40) for the Ruger. Put it on the same way, resting against the rear mount, and it has been dead on.

At 25 yds, will a good rest, I can shoot the little white tops off plastic coke bottles all day long.

Hack
View user's profile Send private message
Ruger airhawk scope - help! 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.