Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns » opinions on this pistol??
opinions on this pistol?? 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
biggyfries
I'm a newcomer here and I have a pistol that I know nearly nothing about.

I was left this by my Dad who got it many years ago --he wanted to shoot pests on his property but found it didn't work so he sent it to an airgun gunsmith who made a new leather gasket if I got my info right. The bill came to $60 with shipping. Dad was surprised at the price, me too, but the guy who repaired it said he'd buy it if we wanted to sell.

Dad never got pellets and never shot it. I pumped it a little and it seems to have a lot of pressure, but I have no pellets either, so haven't shot it.

The only script or letters of any kind are on the right-side plastic grip. It says Crosman Arms Co. Made in USA Rochester, NY.

Who knows the date of mfg and aprox. value?

There are many brass parts--I can tell from places where the paint or anodizing is worn thru, but there is no ser. no. and looks kinda old. Barrel is rifled and it looks in excellent condition. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Seems like a good idea to shoot it, eh? Rolling Eyes

Take a Q-tip and stuff it in the end of the barrel real quick to check the caliber. If it's a tight fit, then you have a .177. If the barrel is much larger, then it's a .22.

It looks like you pull the knob type thing at the end of the breach to cock it. Since there is no bolt handle I assume you leave it back to place a pellet in, then push forwards. Looks like the safety is behind the trigger.

Try to dry fire (won't hurt the gun), since you pumped it a few times already it should shoot a puff of air (duh...), if not the seals went on it. Make sure you take it outside or point it out an open window just incase it was let with a round loaded.

Back to your original question... check out the receiver for a model name or number. Have a look at the Crosman website (www.crosman.com/airguns/service/manuals/crosman-pistols) and see if you can match anything up. It might take a little for the manuals to load, but Crosman has just about every production gun made in their lists. There is a slight description given and the time period of production listed for each gun that can be read before loading the complete manual.

Best of luck, maybe someone else here can tell you exactly.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
biggyfries
That was a good tip to search manuals on the Crosman site to get a clue about this pistol. I found an entry for it as model 105 since it is clearly a .177 cal. They show a production date as simply 1947--nothing else. Is that when Crosman began?

The maual says its made in Fairport, NY, but the gun says Rochester on the grip--I wonder what the deal is on that?

If it's made in 1947 is it valuable? Or if we're in it 60 bucks are we already in the red? If it's not worth much I'm going to get some pellets and use it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Crosman has been around since 1923. The model 105 in very good condition typically sells for $100-125.

Crosman moved around a bit over the years, so the different locations don't mean much. For a time they had a factory in Canada as well.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
biggyfries
A little follow-up--I got some pellets and tried it for accuracy at short range--20 feet. It is fairly accurate giving small groups, but it seems it is difficult to move the sights to zero the point of impact.

Also since I am new to airguns and I tend to err on the side of conservatism-- I am not pumping it up much. How many strokes of the pump handle is required to get normal velocity? Can it be pumped too much or might there be damage to the mechanism with excessive pumping?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
You might blow the O-rings when you're taking it to far. But I don't know how well these are build. Neutral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
On a typical Crosman, you will get valve lock long before the potential to blow out any o-rings arises.

Pump it until you get tired. Most Crosman's do well at around 10 pumps.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
opinions on this pistol?? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns