Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Scope questions from a new guy...
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Scope questions from a new guy... 
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
oilburner
New Member
New Member
Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 8
Location: Rome NY
Hello all, My name is Mark and I'm in upstate NY. I've been shooting for quite a while, since I was a kid, but never serious. I shoot cans and small game, mostly cans. I got a break barrel rifle for Christmas this past year and have sent about 400 shoots through it. It's a cheap chinese gun, but honestly, for what I do, I like it. I got the Remington Vantage 1200 (.177). It came with a Center-Point scope. Here my deal. I shoot it at 40 and 45yrds (when I shoot from in the kitchen on crappy days it's about 49 yrds. I don't have a problem with the velocity or grouping at thses ranges. When the scope is dialed in, it will shoot a 2" group and that works for me. I can keep squirells off the bird feeder at that range, and old beers make a big mess you can see easily also, so I have my fun. The probelm I believe I'm have is in the cope. It will only holds it's zero for about 20 shots then it goes waaayyyy off. Like all of a sudden it's 5" high or a couple inches one direction or another. Since it does it after about the same number of shots eack time, I'm chaulking it up to the scope not holding as oppossed to the way the barrel is seating after each time it's loaded. Am I right here? So basicaly if that's what I'm looking at. is there a scope (I've got about $60 to spend) that will hold it's zero better on a break barrel. I figure this one's worth about what, $5? Thanks for any advice, looking forward to learning a lot here and meating some new freinds (that will most likely all have nicer guns, lol). Thanks, Mark.

_________________
When life throws you a curve...Lean into it.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
welcome to the forum.

i had the same problem with a centerpoint on a magnum springer. look at leapers brand. they are supposed to be good for handling the reverse recoil of your rifle.

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Welcome.

I haven't had a problem with my Centerpoint scope, they seem well made. The way you say things are working, you may have a dud scope.

Go with Sniper and check out the Leapers brand, good scopes for not much money.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
fritz,

which gun do you have the centerpoint on? fit and finish and clearity blew my socks off but when i put it on my 20fpe tech 89 i was going 3 inches off to one side by shot ten at 10 yards after sighting it in. so i sent it back.

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2443
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
I had it on a .22 Super streak for 2000 shots and now on my Diana 34 for over 3000.

Holds its zero. I can even dismount/mount and the zero is within a click or 2.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
dummyracer36
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 723
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
have you checked that all the screws holing the barrel/action to the stock are tight? i would start there before i started thinking the scope was just a "lemon"

_________________
"not tonight dear, i have a race in the morning"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
oilburner
New Member
New Member
Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 8
Location: Rome NY
dummyracer36 wrote:
have you checked that all the screws holing the barrel/action to the stock are tight? i would start there before i started thinking the scope was just a "lemon"


I will do this first thing tomarrow, before I go any farther. Thats a decent idea. Thanks for the replies to this point, I looked at the Leapers, look good for the $$, but my problem as usual is I look at the ones I can afford, and then keep looking at the better ones... and the better ones still, and, well, you know how it goes.

_________________
When life throws you a curve...Lean into it.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
dummyracer36
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 723
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
oil..... welcome to the forum!!!!...... based on your name and your "quote"..... do you bt chance ride sport bikes?

_________________
"not tonight dear, i have a race in the morning"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
oilburner
New Member
New Member
Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 8
Location: Rome NY
I just looked over the gun, and the two cross point screws holding the action and barrel to the stock were pretty loose, I tightened them, but think I'll throw a drop of thread lock on them this afternoon so they don't keep losening up, then I'll get back to shooting and see what happens.

dummyracer, I had a my own business for about 3 years called Midnightoil Metalshaping. (It started out as a side deal "burning the midnight oil" all the time, so I named the shop that). I did anything from shaping body panels for antique vehicles to all the chopper stuff, and it basicaly went to all chopper stuff because of the market. I ride a sportster, because I have no self control, if I were to own a sport bike I would go to jail, loose my licence, or worse. I had a GSXR for 1 month, and had to sell it, because I was a moron on it. My quote came from my love a bikes, and the changes I went through in life that brought me to where I am now, it just fit. You must race though from your name, so looks like I'm in the right place, you know, like mainded people and all that.

_________________
When life throws you a curve...Lean into it.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
dummyracer36 wrote:
have you checked that all the screws holing the barrel/action to the stock are tight? i would start there before i started thinking the scope was just a "lemon"


What sort of mount is holding the scope to the rifle's rail? The "Vantage" I believe is one of the "store specific" models- i.e. one branded specifically for Bass Pro Shops, or Wal-Mart, or whoever. That being said, it needs a stop-pin to keep the scope from moving forward/backward. The newest Crosman springers (Remington/Benjamin Sheridan) don't typically have stop pins and you need to use rail mount with a stop pin, like these units (top of page): http://www.centerpointoptics.com/accessories/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
oilburner
New Member
New Member
Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 8
Location: Rome NY
Well, I took the screws out, loctighted everything and put it back together , remounted the scope (No Eric, it's not pinned) and put about 50 rounds through it after I got the scope zeroed back in. That's where all my headaches started. I couldn't even get the thing zeroed as close as it was before, and not it's just not consistent at all. at 40 yrds, I moght get 3 shoots in the 2" circle I'm shooting for, then the next two or three are 2-3 inches out. Thinking I'll maybe start at 25 yrds and go from there, and maybe try some diff pellets. I had crossman pointed, but I saw somewhere aelse someone siad their gun didn't like them and they had better luch with wad cutters, so what the hey, I'll give something flat a try. I shoot for about 2 hours yesterday afternoon, it was frustrating but still fun. Of coarse, I found ammo on the shelf for one of my other rifles and bought it, so any scope money I had is gone now anyhow, lol. Hey, even with a junk gun, I'm still having fun so far. Thanks for all the advice to this point, Mark.

_________________
When life throws you a curve...Lean into it.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
MNgophergetter
Member
Member
Joined: 07 May 2009
Posts: 39
Location: Alexandria, MN
oilburner wrote:
Well, I took the screws out, loctighted everything and put it back together , remounted the scope (No Eric, it's not pinned) and put about 50 rounds through it after I got the scope zeroed back in. That's where all my headaches started. I couldn't even get the thing zeroed as close as it was before, and not it's just not consistent at all. at 40 yrds, I moght get 3 shoots in the 2" circle I'm shooting for, then the next two or three are 2-3 inches out. Thinking I'll maybe start at 25 yrds and go from there, and maybe try some diff pellets. I had crossman pointed, but I saw somewhere aelse someone siad their gun didn't like them and they had better luch with wad cutters, so what the hey, I'll give something flat a try. I shoot for about 2 hours yesterday afternoon, it was frustrating but still fun. Of coarse, I found ammo on the shelf for one of my other rifles and bought it, so any scope money I had is gone now anyhow, lol. Hey, even with a junk gun, I'm still having fun so far. Thanks for all the advice to this point, Mark.



I was gonna say try some other pellets. I was sighting in the peep sight on the Benji 397 I'm giving to my step son the other day and the crossman premium pointed where all over the board. I switched to the Premium hollow points and got real nice tight 1 inch 5 shot groups. The kids gonna love this thing now.

MNGG

_________________
"Just put it's body back in the hole as a warning to the others."
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
oilburner
New Member
New Member
Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 8
Location: Rome NY
I'm out anyhow and was going for a new tin tonight. If they got'em I'll try'em. Thanks.

_________________
When life throws you a curve...Lean into it.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
MNgophergetter
Member
Member
Joined: 07 May 2009
Posts: 39
Location: Alexandria, MN
For the gophers the hollow points work best for us anyways. The pointed pellets go clean thru and allow the Gophers run time which lets them get back into the holes. The hollow points give you a clear audible thwack sound and they stop dead in thier tracks. Plus we have less misses with the hollow points. I thumped on last night at a good 45 yards with the peep sight I was rather amazed I hit the damn thing considering all it looked like was a light brown spec at that distance. He jumped up and fell to the ground dead. I sent the dog out to get him and had nailed him right in the neck.

MNGG

_________________
"Just put it's body back in the hole as a warning to the others."
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
your gophers are my rats Twisted Evil .


JSB PREDATORS!

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
Scope questions from a new guy... 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.