Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns » Refurbishing Falke Model 80
Refurbishing Falke Model 80 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
galah2000
I'm new to the air gun scene and was recently given a Falke Model 80 .177 to clean up for my father. I've taken apart thousands of rimfires/centrefires but air rifles seem to work by some type of black magic. How do you disassemble the breech without putting myself in hospital? What do I clean, look for and replace and where do I get the parts?

I read somewhere the Falke Model 80 is a better made copy of a BSA Airsporter? Is that true?

Any help or any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
cw
Banned
Can you post any photos?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
This won't help you get the gun cleaned up, but for curiosity's sake: I've read that the BSA Airsporter design (from 1948) carried on to the Falke Model 90, and then to the Anschutz Hakim and Spezial. Is yours a taploader?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
galah2000
Sorry, can't do photo's yet as its in pieces (except breech). It is the same as the one in Slavia's post (thanks very much - thats the first article I've seen on one). My stock doesn't have a cheekpiece and is a light coloured wood which I believe is Elm. Everything else is identical to the one in the ad.

Regards,
Mick
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quote
MarcDV
Congratulations on getting a Falke 80. Truly a classic and special rifle. I have several comparable period Mk I BSA Airsporters and two Falke 90’s (90’s are just a deluxe version of the Falke 80 really). The differences between the BSA and the Falke have, I feel become exaggerated over time. The Falke sights are way better than the BSA, however the Falke stock is crude and blocky when compared to the Airsporter (surely, the most elegant rifle of all time). Also, I find no real negatives with the BSA trigger block in aluminum compared to the Falke’s all steel construction. I actually prefer all steel air rifles. Why reviewers drool over Falke rifles is a mystery to me. Sure, they are very good and solid, but are of no better manufacturing quality than say a Webley MK 3. Both Falke and BSA are solid, well made and coveted prizes.

Sadly, spare parts for Falkes are pretty much unobtainable. So, if a replacement part is required, be prepared to make it yourself or have someone else make it for you. As long as you have the sights, most other parts are fairly basic. If you do not absolutely need to refinish the stock or re-blue the steel parts, don’t touch them as you will likely loose the various stamps and impressed cartouches. The serial number is stamped on the underside of the loading tap lever. Good luck, great gun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:36 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
galah2000:
Welcome and looks like it will turn into a beautiful piece when you are finished.

MarcDV:
Welcome to you to...and nice first post. Sheesh, you might want to pace yourself...lol Smile Keep 'em coming.

Slavia:
Way to go with the magazine article. That was above and beyond. Wow!

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
Here's a website boasting replica Falke Model 80 sites. Might be a useful person to get to know.

http://www.bryanandac.com/new_page_10.htm

Sorry for the double post.

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Welcome, MarcDV!

Galah2000: Double check the port between the piston and loading tap - on my Hakim it is bore size, which means there is a possibility of pellets falling back into the cylinder. The Hakim did in fact have lead bits mashed into the cylinder head.

If this is the case with the Falke, do two things:

First, don't close the loading tap unless the gun is horizontal.

Second, listen for a hiss of air when you close the tap. My Hakim's cocking stroke opens the tap before the piston is all the way back. The tap seals well enough that the piston is pulling a vacuum during the last part of its travel, and that vacuum could drag a pellet backwards if the loading tap is closed too quickly. Just close and re-open the tap before loading a pellet to equalize the pressure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:57 am Reply with quote
MarcDV
Hi Crossman 140,

Yeah, I ran across the Bryan & Associates website some time ago. Apparently, the sight pictured was not made by them, but by a well known and respected New Zealand Bulletin Board host, 'Grant the Kiwi'. I wrote Grant, he made the rear sight up using another one as a master. He didn't make any drawings. So, I'm back to where I started out.
Thanks for noticing and for posting the info anyway.

MarcDV
FALKE FOR SALE 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
CLAY
I HAVE A FALKE 90 , NEED TO GET RID OF IT, HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK I COULD GET FOR IT?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
Slavia
There is a Falke forum:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/642125/

A one-year subscription to the "Blue Book of Airgun Values" will cost you $20.00:
https://store.bluebookinc.com/Ecom/ProductDetail.aspx?id=63

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
rualert
Pyramid Air's Blog, just posted a short series on rebuilding one of these rifles, or it's sibling. Most likely worth the read, if you are still trying to get it fixed. And as for the question of why some people go nuts over these guns, apparently there are only a very few left in existence.

Casey
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns