Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » maintenance
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
maintenance 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Location: Hokie Nation
Hey guys, I'm completely new to air gunning and I just got this old crosman 66 powermaster that my friend gave me. Anyway, I was wondering what kind of upkeep I have to do on it. Do I need to oil the pump? what oils good? do I have to clean the barrel? etc. Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Because you got it used from someone else- it's hard to say what sort of shape the barrel is in. Probably a good idea to clean it. You can use "cleaning pellets" which are cotton- you oil them with whatever lightweight oil you like and shoot them like a pellet- keep putting them through until they come out clean (use each one only once). You can also use a rod and cotton swabs- there are airgun cleaning kits that come with an aluminum rod- you don't want to use a brass or steel rod like those found in regular firearm cleaning kits- they can damage the rifling (if your gun has any- I'm not sure if the newer Crosman 66's do or not). Normally- a barrel doesn't have to be cleaned more often than every few thousand shots- but as you don't know the history of this gun- better to just do it (there may be small rust spots in it that need to be removed).

Oil it, but use Crosman "PelGun Oil" or a silicone- based lube (you can get silicone spray lubes in any auto parts store- it gets used on rubber car parts like door weatherstripping and such). Petroleum based oils like those used for regular guns only cause problems with o-rings and seals. Any part of the gun that moves could use some lubing- i.e. pivots on pump handle/arm, loading area, etc. etc. For a pumper, instead of disassembling the whole thing, lube that you can reach, the put some down inside the valve behind where you would load a pellet and let it soak overnight- don't use too much. See about getting some lube inside the trigger mechanism. Again, don't overdo it or you'll end up with goo on your fingers every time you shoot for awhile!

I may have forgotten something here- but I'm sure someone else will add more...

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote
cobracommander
New Member
New Member
Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 2
hi there!

AirGunEric,

Aren't those silicon sprays sold at auto parts store petroleum based? since their propellant are petrol? I suggest looking for a silicon spray that are not "flammable". That way, you are sure to get a silicon spray that is not petroleum based nor petroleum propelled.

Also, if there are auto air-con shops near your area, you might want to ask for advice on what type of silicon oil they are using (yes, they use silicon oil in your air-conditioning system). Although they are not the spray type, but you're sure to get a non petrol silicon oil. Smile

for me, i use pelgun oil for my C02 and pump pneumatic guns.
http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Crosman_Pellet_Gun_Oil_1_4_oz_p/cro02410.htm

_________________
click...
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
I don't believe the actual lube itself has any petroleum products in it- so perhaps it is the propellent. I checked a couple of different varieties sitting on my shelf- and the "STP" stuff says not to use on lock cylinder with black plastic in them (as an example)- which means to me it is likely to cause damage to such plastics because something in the can has a petroleum base. Another one I have makes no mention of this. So perhaps it's a real crap-shoot which are usable and which not.

Pellgunoil is obviously the best choice- but they sure don't give that stuff away, do they?

Here's a picture:

Pellgun oil is also typically available from just about any store that sells pellet or BB guns.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
A good sorce of pure silicon is mould release spray as used in the rubber industry, this is the same as is sold in auto shops, no petrol is used in these, I use it as a spray and also I punch a very small hole in the top of a can ( when I say small I mean very small) and let the propelant bleed off slowly and I finish up with pure silicon which I use on co2 seals and never had a problem.

The propellent used these days is typically propane, n-butane and isobutane. Dimethyl ether (DME) and methylethyl ether are also used. All these have the principal disadvantage of being quite flammable. Nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide are also used as propellants.

If you bleed off the propellent you finish up with quite a lot of pure silicon fairly cheap, certainly a lot cheaper than pellgunoil.

AL
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Location: Hokie Nation
would WD40 work? i have a ton of that stuff in my house

Also, where would I get cleaning pellets in the US? I checked walmart and Dick's sporting goods and neither had any. Do i have to order them online?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Location: Hokie Nation
HA! I just cut the heads off some Q-Tips and shot those through my gun!! Cleaned the barrel out nice Cool
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
For cleaning the barrel out you could use WD-40, but keep it away from the seals! It is petroleum-based. WD-40 has also become a really crappy lubricant for just about anything in the last 10 years (it used to be thicker and hold up better on surfaces). If you want a generic, lightweight spray lubricant that will work for lubing things- the rust penetrating oils available all work well (again, keep away from airgun seals)- i.e. PB Blaster and the like.

And there you go- Q-Tips- will clean just about anything when you're in a hurry!

Cleaning pellets themselves would likely be carried by a retailer with a solid pellet selection (i.e. Beeman and RWS pellets as well as the typical Crosman's) or any of the online vendors. For the number of times you are likely to use them- you're probably A-Ok with the Q-Tips. Just remember to fire a few regular pellets through the barrel afterwards to remove any stray fibers from the Q-Tip.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
maintenance 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.