Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Smooth Bore Airguns??
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Smooth Bore Airguns?? 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Mountain Man
Member
Member
Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 17
Location: United States
Could someone please help me understand the purpose/uses for smooth bore airguns?I know rifling makes greater accuracy.From my understanding,smooth bores are very inaccurate.Im just having a hard time understanding why arent all air rifles rifled.There must be a purpose in this world for smooth bores for companys to keep making them.Guess Im just not smart enough to figure it out.Shooting BBs maybe?Thanks in advance to all that reply Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Legendpilot
Member
Member
Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Posts: 67
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
I don't own a smoothbore(sb), however it seems that the sb's I've come across doubled as an 'air shotgun' as well. I would imagine an sb would be necessary for a shotgun style application as rifling would serve no purpose, sans slug shot, and probably suffer some type of wear.

Even the inexpensive Crosman and Daisy's that serve up both pellets and bb's posess rifled barrels. Typically pellets are designed to stabilize naturally, but I can't fathom a sb being equal to or better than the accuracy obtained with a rifled barrel.


Last edited by Legendpilot on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Beeman RS2 .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1377c .177 Cool
Crosman T4 .177
Marksman 0035, 10000+ rds, shoots very well .177

wish List - Diana RWS 350 Feuerkraft Pro Compact .22
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
I know that some BB guns are SB because the BB can't grab the rifling or something of that nature. Roundballs don't really need to be spun by anything, so that also falls into the BB category.

IIRC the Beaumont Odin (big bore) is a SB, because it's a muzzle loader. I don't see why it would be though, since my civil war era blackpowder rifle is a muzzle loader, and has a rifled barrel.

My take on it- If it works who cares if it has a smooth or rifled barrel?

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Mountain Man
Member
Member
Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 17
Location: United States
Thanks for the info.I asked because I was looking at the new Crosman Recruit,wich appears to be an upgraded 66 Powermaster.Just figured they had a specific reason for not adding a rifled barell to the new one.I dont think these are the shotgun type.Oh well,thanks for your time and input Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Airgun barrels are milder steel than their powder-burning counterparts, since they don't have near the pressure or heat. The rifling is also much shallower.

Most of the smoothbore guns available (aside from shotguns) are "dual ammunition" - steel BB's or lead pellets. Steel BB's would mess up rifling in no time, so why waste the effort? Sure, there are lead BB's available, but steel is by far more common.

That's my sense of it, anyway.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
You should likely save your money instead of buying that. If you want to go for a pumper, get a 1377 (if you like .22 then maybe a 1322 is for you). A refurbished 1377 is only like $30 if you plan to upgrade it and such (save $15 from a new one).

The recruit won't get you far, and won't give you much potential. The 1377 will give you atleast the same amount of power using pellets, it will also be more accurate and after you spend the money (I know you will) to put a steel breech kit, stock, and scope on it.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Mountain Man
Member
Member
Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 17
Location: United States
Thanks to all Laughing that was very valuable information from all.Although I am a rookie,I wont be for long if I listen to you guys Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
Slavia, that reminds me:

When I was a youngster I had some gamo round balls and a red ryder... you can imagine what I did.

The lead balls shot much more accurately than the steel BB's, although they didn't go very far because of their weight.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Quote:
When I was a youngster I had some gamo round balls and a red ryder


I tried them in a Crosman 760 once. If I had been thinking, I would have loaded them singly like pellets. But no, like a fool I figured hey, they're BB's; I'll put them in the BB reservoir. Except the Crosman feeds BB's with a small magnet in the bolt. I had to take the gun apart to get them out.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
I fed them normally, and it worked fine.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 1582
Location: New Zealand
Reduces the MAGNUS EFECT with a round projectal.
A spinning sphere traveling at speed will turn in fight
due to diffrent pressures on each side so redue the spin
and reduce the Magnus efect
Just ask a tennis player/Golfer/ Baseball pitcher/
Soccer player and the list goes on.

HOP UP BB guns use this efect to make the BB rise to increase its range.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Mountain Man
Member
Member
Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 17
Location: United States
kanyon wrote:
Reduces the MAGNUS EFECT with a round projectal.
A spinning sphere traveling at speed will turn in fight
due to diffrent pressures on each side so redue the spin
and reduce the Magnus efect
Just ask a tennis player/Golfer/ Baseball pitcher/
Soccer player and the list goes on.

HOP UP BB guns use this efect to make the BB rise to increase its range.
I think I get it.Like throwing a curve ball?You have to put the right spin on the ball to make it curve.Reduce the spin=decrease in the curve Idea So my take on the whole subject is that smoothbore rifles are meant for shooting BBs/lead balls,rather than driving tacs with pellets.I think Gamo round balls and one of these type rifles will work good or better than BBs for accuracy since BBs actually measure .175 and the lead balls measure a true .177 Shocked I just might go get a cheap smoothbore and some Gamo roundballs and see what kind of fun we can have around the yard Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
I've only encountered two smooth bore airguns in my life. One was a bb gun, and the other was my Gamo airshotgun. Surprisingly, both shoot normal pellets too. The bb gun was very accurate, but the shotgun not so much.

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
I have an old Diana GEM pattern smoothbore 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
RedFeather
Member
Member
Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Posts: 56
Usually encountered in cheaper guns. Mine was intended for lead bb's, not steel. Rifling costs money and, as pointed out, shooting steel (copper coated) bb's will wipe the rifling out in short order. If you get one of those Haenel bb trainers, do not use regular bb's in it. The barrel steel is too mild.
View user's profile Send private message
Smooth Bore Airguns?? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.