Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » crow magnum, kodiak and jsb with my ss 1000 hard trigger
crow magnum, kodiak and jsb with my ss 1000 hard trigger 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
johncedarhill
I may have been a little harsh on my assessment of the ss 1000 .22. If I can tune this trigger (not so sure i can) it may be pretty good. It is possible that I am getting to be a better shooter with a springer. Anyway until the last couple of months whatever was available at Walmart was my world. SS 1000 is a Box store type gun.

So here is the question. surprisingly at 16 yds plus or minus the cro magnum actually hit a couple of bullseyes. The surprise here was that a few of the pellets actually would not fit and in general they were tight--I thought real tight. The Kodiak the heavier pellet fit well but flew high left by couple of inches. I thought they would be low but not high. Then I tried some JSB exact and they shot left and low. (They shoot very well by my standards in the used Logun I purchased for the muskrats. All sighted in on receiving it from the seller at 35 yds out of the box.) Is this fairly common when you test pellets?

I am really new to different options. I have a Chrony but need to set up a portable system to use it.

Any help on how to test pellets etc will be appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
As far as I am aware- there is no definitive way to judge a particular pellet's performance in a specific gun without trying it.

By this I mean that even two guns- the same model from the same manufacturer built in the same factory on the same day may shoot better with a different pellets due to manufacturing differences/tolerances. There are, of course, different tolerances in the pellets themselves from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I find that "tight" fitting pellets in any gun seem to stay true better than "loose" pellets. I would have to guess that this is because it forces the pellet skirt to actually contact the bore rifling evenly and consistently without any space for bouncing, wobbling or vibrating on the way out.

But as for your gun or guns- the only way to find out for sure is trial and error- get a selection of pellets and put them through each gun. You'll likely find that each different gun prefers a different pellet. If you get lucky- maybe a couple of guns will prefer the same pellet- saving you on having to keep as much of a "variety" in your shooting kit/setup.

About the best anyone can offer is what they found to work well in their gun of the same model/manufacturer- so they might be one of the first pellets to experiment with.

This idea is one of the reasons why pellet manufacturers like Gamo and Umarex (RWS) offer "variety packs" of pellets.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ooops- forgot something. The Beeman SS rifles themselves. From what people who have bought them typically say, they can be very accurate- but the trigger just irritates everyone.

So- if you can figure out a good trigger tune methodology- let everyone know.

Some manufacturers- Crosman as an example, have the majority of their products that to a discerning shooter need "improvements" and more often than not, trigger tuning and barrel re-crowning is required to get the gun closer to its real shooting potential. Perhaps the Beeman SS series are one step above that- especially if the trigger issue can be sorted out. At 30-100% more for a Beeman than an equivalent Crosman- I guess something has to be better(?)

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
johncedarhill
On another site it is mentioned that the ss1000 with a fully rounded trigger guard can be adjusted. There is an access hole on mine and a 2nd stage adjustment screw. After backing it out all the way and actually temporarily losing the screw (used a spring to apply some tension so this does not happen again--not sure if a spring was there.), it still is stiff and not smooth. AR 1000 magnum description says pull 12 to 25 nt. .225 nt to ft-lbs suggests around a 3 lb pull. Still not real smooth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Seems alot of "adjustable" triggers on the lower-end guns aren't worth a bag-of-beans. My Quest has the same issue- no matter how much smoothing of trigger components and re-adjustment (of what little there is) on the 'adjustable trigger' it still takes quite the pull to fire it. My solution was to give in and buy a GTX-III trigger from Bob Werner. I'm waiting for it to show up.

It sounds like you may be forced to find a way to change the trigger's pivot point- i.e. re-locate the pivot pin in order to change the geometry. Unfortunately, I don't know if there's any space for that to be done on the SS 1000 trigger assembly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
And you know what's going to happen here, don't you?

You might or might not get it done to your satisfaction- then you'll get tired of it and start putting together a plan to get an even better gun. Fortunately for me- I told myself I wouldn't buy any more guns until I thoroughly wear out all possibility of improving the ones I've got without having to custom-make parts for them- and as I just don't seem to have alot of time lately, this has been working- so far. :sheepshag:

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
johncedarhill
I understand as of this afternoon that the trigger you are getting will also work on the ss1000 ar 1000 so I might be going that route. Please let me know how you like it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I didn't think that series of Beeman's used that trigger. Learn something new everyday I guess.

When the GTX III arrives, give me a few days and I will install and post a review. I have no idea how long it will take to get to my door, however.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

crow magnum, kodiak and jsb with my ss 1000 hard trigger 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles