Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » A Crappy Day Out
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
A Crappy Day Out 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Well what a crappy day I’ve had, decided to go down to the local indoor range, and try out my Winchester and new peep sight, it’s quiet in the mornings and you can get on with things without being interrupted . Anyway things started out alright I took a dozen spare magazine’s, after I had used them up, I refilled then with pellets but I had forgot a tool I use to seat the pellets in the mags so I just pressed them in with my fingers. ( This was my first mistake ) After firing a few pellets the gun jammed up with a mangled pellet in the mag , took the mag out and replaced it with a new one and carried on. I finished up getting 4 out of 5 pellets in a 15mm circle which is a lot better than using iron sights, but I do need to experiment with different hole sizes for the peep sight.

One of the problems I found when I bought the gun was that the gun shoots to the left with the sights set square with the rifle and I needed to set the front sight well to the right and the rear sight well to the left to get the gun to shoot correctly, but this set up annoyed me and the cause of this was the soda straw barrel which although straight still as a bias to one side, why I don't know, anyway I figured out that if I rotate the barrel so that the bias is pointing up the sights will be central and I can adjust the elevation to counter the barrel bias. The only way to do this is to rotate the barrel a quarter of a turn, so I machined a few thou of the shoulder of the barrel to get a quarter of a turn more, but after doing this the barrel was catching the magazine so I has to remove a bit of the end of the barrel also. After putting the gun back together thing were a lot better, the sights were basically in the centre, the only other alteration I had to make was to make a slightly higher foresight so that when using the peep sight the rear iron sight does not get in the way.



When I tried it out I had a problem with magazines jamming upon investigation I found that the finger or pawl that moves the magazine round for each shot was missing the teeth on the mag, so there was no other option but to strip the gun down and investigate the problem. Twenty minutes later I found the problem a lump of lead jammed behind the spring that pushes the finger on to the magazine when turning it, about an hour later it was all back together and working alright, the only thing I was pi$$ed of about was that it had knackered nine magazines.



This is the pawl that jammed and dammaged 9 magazines.


So all in all a very crappy day, the only good thing was that the peep sight worked perfectly.
AL
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
That's not so nice. How did the pawl manage to chew up the magazines if it wasn't making contact with the magazines' teeth?

In any event- it is good to hear the sight you made is doing a good job (even better than the iron sights on the gun- very impressive!).

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
What a bummer Al 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
What a letdown after putting together that trick tang together. I don't like it either, when after putting so much effort into something then something else goofs the whole deal. Going Nuts
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
The piece of lead which must have come off the back of one of the pellets, that I loaded inproperly by Hand, jammed between the finger that rotates the magazine and the frame, pushing the finger over, the area of the mag that comes into contact with the finger is very small and moving it over even a little bit would cause it to slip off.

The photo of one of the magazine's show's where the teeth have been chop'ed out .

View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
I'm assuming those magazines are made out of super-soft aluminum?

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
A Crappy Day Out 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.