Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Crosman 1000x - scope useless?
Crosman 1000x - scope useless? 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
albionwood
First time airgun user here, long time shooter tho. Got a Crosman Quest 1000 with the 3x9 scope, mainly for shooting starlings and other small pests around the farm. It shoots pretty well with the open sights, about as well as I can do with these 50-year-old bifocal-assisted eyes. But when I attach the scope and try to sight it in, the groups open up - way up, especially in the vertical direction. Can't sight-in if you can't get a group, and at 10 yards I can't group closer than about 3 inches with the scope. With the open sights I can keep them under 2 inches. This despite the fact that I get a vastly better sight picture with the scope.

Is this a problem with the gun, the scope, me, or something else? The open sights are mounted on the barrel, whereas the scope mounts on the receiver - so I suspect the barrel just isn't getting perfectly aligned with the scope each time it's cocked. This would be a problem with the gun and its design. Do other break-barrel rifles have this problem? Is there any way to make the rifle work with a scope? I can't expect to hit a starling at 30 yards with open sights, even if he holds still long enough for me to get the damn bifocals adjusted right...

Last edited by albionwood on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The 2100 you have- as it came with a scope I assume it's relatively new (i.e. from the last 7 or 8 years- which makes it a "2100B". Now add in that it came with the scope in the box and Crosman calls it a "2104X". None of this is particularly relevant- except to tell us that you have the Crosman 0410 scope on it.

It would be this gun, correct?

That being said, perhaps a bit of scope 'terminology': The 0410 is a "4x15" scope, which means it has a 4 times magnification and the aperture through which you look is 15mm in diameter. I personally own two of the 0410 scopes, but my eyesight isn't great at the best of times- and I find the 15mm aperture a real pain-in-the-a$$, so I've only tended to use it on occasion mainly for testing guns.

Anyways, the 0410 is a "Made in China" special, it is cheap (price-wise) and not the sturdiest unit (i.e. don't use it on a springer-type airgun). If you are comfortable with it, it should work on the multi-pump pneumatic 2100 just fine. Unfortunately- if you just can't get it sighted and you are shooting 3" groups with it, and 2" groups with the gun's sights- it may just be defective straight from the factory (not going to be the first time I can assure you), either that, or because of the small aperture it has- you are shifting where you look through it ever so slightly every time you line it up. It has very little margin for movement and is only usable when about 2 3/4 - 3 1/4" away from your eye- anything closer or further out and you will notice "shrouding" creeping around the edges.

I would suggest you take it back where you got it and see about a replacement. Or, call Crosman customer service and tell them your problem and they may just send you a new one straight off (Crosman USA customer service is generally exemplary, Crosman Canada customer service not so much so, and Crosman International dealers who do warranty repairs can be great or not so great depending on who they are).

If the rifle and scope are out of warranty- you can buy a 0410 for less than $20 both in the US and Canada to try another. But keep your receipt handy in the event you decide you don't like it and want to return it.

Now- for the last thing to mention: The 2100 is a pellet and BB gun. As a result of this, it will either have no rifling in the barrel (a smoothbore) or a very shallow rifling that may not do the best job- the 2100 and it's copy/sister gun- the Remington Airmaster 77 (both made by Crosman) are not guns built for maximum accuracy. Crosman's barrel crown jobs often leave a lot to be desired, so re-crowning it might also help tighten the groups up. Don't get me wrong, I've almost bought the 2100/AM77 on a couple of occasions- but decided against it at the last minute in order to cobble together dollars for something else (or parts for something else).

Here's a topic on the 2100B/AM77:

http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=40

Good luck and let us know how you progress. Post any other questions you may have and we'll do our best to assist.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
I am an idiot. 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
albionwood
The gun is a Quest 1000, not a 2100. (I considered buying the 2100 and have some notes about it on my desk - must have subliminally jumped from there to my fingers!) Whole other beast!

So, can a break-barrel gun really work with a scope?
A nice one can 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
albionwood wrote:
So, can a break-barrel gun really work with a scope?

Have a diana 38 that pushes basics at 995f/s over an F1 chrony with BSA 2x7 glass clamped into B-square gimble mounts that consistantly shoots paintballs off of golf tees at 30m, so I would have to say yes break barrels work GREAT with scopes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
From the factory a Quest has a 4x32 scope- a bit easier to work with. Check your positioning for each shot as well, and be sure it is attached to the barrel tube properly- the Quest (I own one) can be a bit finicky as to how the mounts are positioned- if they are not on straight and tight they will move around. Make sure that the scope "stop" block (the metal tab with the screw through it) is snug up against the rear scope mount and tightened to the rail. If you still can't get a similar group to the guns sights- talk to Crosman. The scope will rarely/never allow you to shoot better than the gun's open sights at close range- but it will allow you to shoot better at greater distances where your eyes (eye) might tend to lose focus or wander away from the sights and be distracted and pointing downrange. But if you can shoot 2" with the sights and only 3" with the scope- it's likely defective.

Now, because it's a springer- sighting a scope is typically a bit harder than on an MSP or Co2 gun- so try a bit longer and see what you can do with it.

Also- there are a couple posts in here on the Quest- so poke around.

Good luck and let us know how you are making out with it!

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
albionwood
Thanks - I did poke around here and elsewhere before buying the Quest - I'll try remounting the scope and try again. How hard should I cinch down on the mounts? I tightened them with a screwdriver; it looks like I could get an Allen wrench on them if necessary. I did have the rear mount backed right up against the stop. What frustrated me was I could put two shots within 1/2" and then the third would be 2 or 3 inches off - usually low. There's no way I was pulling that far off - the sight picture was good every time.

The scope itself is an upgrade from the 4x32, it's a Crosman 3-9x32. One odd thing is that the target image is blurry even though the crosshairs are sharp... could there be something wrong with the scope itself?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
albionwood wrote:
The scope itself is an upgrade from the 4x32, it's a Crosman 3-9x32. One odd thing is that the target image is blurry even though the crosshairs are sharp... could there be something wrong with the scope itself?

Undo the rear sight ring and rotate it to focus the image. You need have to re-focus if you change target range (i.e. you set it for 30m shooting and then want to use it to hit something at 5m).

Also the 3-9x32 doesn't use hex bolts to tighten the mounts? Or are these aftermarket mounts? Don't crank the scope mounts on the rail until something's ready to pop- but make sure everything is tight. Also- loosen the rings on the scope itself before setting the mounts on the rail completely- oftentimes the rail may not be perfectly straight, or the mounts aren't- so having the scope in the mounts first then tightening them up to the rail can "bend" to scope body- making adjustment and sighting a nightmare (or at least a real pain in the a$$). So- loosen the mount rings on the scope, attach the mounts to the rail, then tighten the rings on the scope completely.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
albionwood wrote:
What frustrated me was I could put two shots within 1/2" and then the third would be 2 or 3 inches off - usually low. There's no way I was pulling that far off - the sight picture was good every time.

Actually that sounds more like a barrel lockup problem . . . The 'open sight line' over the bore allowing for a better group but the scope isn't in a 'repeatable sighting' position as the barrel 'strays' from the correct lockup condition.

Try cleaning and lubricating the locking mechanism and make sure there are no burrs causing it to hangup slightly out of alignment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
albionwood
Barrel straying - that's what I suspected too. I will check the mechanism and see if there is anything obvious. It seems like the break-barrel design would be susceptible to this problem - is it common, or is my experience unusual?

I tried refocusing with the rear lens but that didn't seem to work: first, I had to unscrew the lens almost all the way off to get the sight picture focused for short range, and by then the crosshairs were out of focus. The scope is set up to focus at long distances, which is kind of odd for a gun with an effective range of less than 100 yards. I will try remounting after loosening the scope rings.

Another question: I read the article on re-crowning the muzzle, but on this gun the front sight is part of a plastic tube that covers the entire muzzle. Do I have to get that off somehow, and if so, how to get it back on? I don't see any screws, so apparently it is a friction-fit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
albionwood wrote:
Barrel straying - that's what I suspected too. I will check the mechanism and see if there is anything obvious. It seems like the break-barrel design would be susceptible to this problem - is it common, or is my experience unusual?

It seems to be more common on the least expensive chinese break barrels but I have seen a spanish break barrel that had to have burrs polished off of the locking latch assembly.
None of my german guns seem to suffer from any type of lock up issues at all but I also keep the barrel tension pretty snug. Some of the chinese and spanish guns need shims on either side of the barrel to keep the barrel snug.
I have also 'given away' nearly all of the chinese guns I've worked on as I tend to now prefer the german quality match guns and 'magnum' hunting springers.

albionwood wrote:
I tried refocusing with the rear lens but that didn't seem to work: first, I had to unscrew the lens almost all the way off to get the sight picture focused for short range, and by then the crosshairs were out of focus. The scope is set up to focus at long distances, which is kind of odd for a gun with an effective range of less than 100 yards. I will try remounting after loosening the scope rings.

See if this objective adjustment is possible for that scope.
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/adjust.html

albionwood wrote:
Another question: I read the article on re-crowning the muzzle, but on this gun the front sight is part of a plastic tube that covers the entire muzzle. Do I have to get that off somehow, and if so, how to get it back on? I don't see any screws, so apparently it is a friction-fit.

I've worked on a few guns with the plastic 'push on' sights and some are easy to knock loose with a small wooden mallet and some required heating up, then 'press' off while hot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Well- you installed the 3-9x32 scope- so the fact it is setup for long-range shooting, I can't explain- but you shoudn't have to have aperture/lens housing practically off the tube to get focus at 10m (I'm assuming you have it set at the 3x magnification at this point). Maybe the scope is a defect.

And yes, the Quest has a plastic cover that is part of the front sight covering the end of the barrel- to really get a good view of things it has to be removed. It is either friction fit, or glued, or both (apparently people have seen all these variations). The best bet to try and get it off is to blast it with a hair dryer or heat gun (without melting anything using the heat gun) to loosen it up and pull it straight out/off.

As for the barrel straying- anything's possible but I would hope on a brand new gun this is not the case. Can you feel/sense any barrel movement when you have the rifle closed? The Quest has plastic/resin barrel block/breech bushings which can wear out- but this more often results in a more consistent barrel droop than straying (at least on this gun anyways). You can buy brass bushings to replace the resin- but the one place I know that made them jerked me around on a transaction, so I won't be recommending him/his services anytime soon.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Crosman 1000x - scope useless? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles