Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » 4x15mm
4x15mm 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
SmallGame2100
I know this is a pretty cheap and low end scope. I was just wondering if they are good enough to hunt small game. Just birds and squirrels, maybe the occasional rabbit, if that.

Thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I think anyone will recommend something that's a bit bigger and bettter. Good scopes don't have to cost that much money, and they often will look better too. You could read around the hunter's section a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
SmallGame2100
wheres that

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
You did not post who's 4x15 scope- but I am assuming it's a Crosman unit seeing as they are one of the few companies offering a unit in those specifications.

Such a scope will do the basic job- but not on a spring-powered gun, and not very well overall- the aperture is so small it's tough to see through, it's cheap and as such its windage and elevation adjustment is rough, ragged and imprecise.

If it's all you can afford or want to spend- ok, it might get your by for awhile, but for $50 or thereabouts there are alot more choices.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Decent Inexpensive Scope 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hey There Small Game,

I picked one of these up for $21 bucks + rings. I have never heard of NcStar before but for $21.00 I was willing to give it a try. It works fine for the gun I bought it for.

You may want something with less power or maybe adjustable power. They also have a 2-6x28 for $27.00

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-compact-rifle-scope-6x32-scope-blue-sc632b.html

Alot of nice features for such a inexpensive scope.
Model# : SC632B
Description : 6x32 Scope / Blue
Magnification : 6x
Objective Dia. ( mm ) : 32.00
Tube Dia. : 1"
Field Of View @ 100 Yrs ( Feet ) : 18.2
Eye Relief ( Inch ) : 3
Exit Pupil ( mm ) : 5.4
Ring Mount : No
Lens Coating : Blue
Reticle : P4 Sniper
N. W ( Oz. ) : 9.20
Length ( Inch ) : 7.68

The only thing I suggest is call them to make sure they have it in stock. It takes several weeks to get it if they don't.

If you pick out a few other things and get your bill over $30.00 the shipping is free.

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
SmallGame2100
would that fit on a crosman 2100?
Scope 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Your 2100 has an 11mm - 3/8" Dovetail on top.

If you were to order the NcStar scope that I gave you the link to...

You would need to also order 1" scope rings for a 11mm - 3/8" dovetail. Cheep ones are about $4.00

http://www.opticsplanet.net/picture-1-ncstar-scope-ring-1-ring-38-dovetail-high-see-thru-rb19.html

You can even get fancy by ordering Medum to High profile rings that you can see through the base and still use your open sights.

Once you mount your scope... you will have to sight it in. Any one of us will be able to walk you through it.

Good Luck!

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
SmallGame2100
alright
thanks alot
my friend might sell me one from his old bb gun
so ill see

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Welcome to the forum, Smallgame2100!

I agree with the rest. Besides the issues of aperture and adjustment, the lenses are often molded plastic - you'll get frustrated just trying to make out the target. With a little practice you can do as well with open sights as with those small scopes.

I think if you got one, in a short time you would wish you had just saved the money towards something in the $20 - $30 range (or better).

Keep shooting, and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I like those small scopes. They look nice and classic on a rifle, and I might get one for myself to put on something I have yet to buy. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I bought my compact scope because I put way too much accessories on my 1077...

You can add a scope level to a high rise very easy with a drill press.

Joe

ncstar scopes 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
jayschevy
hello all,im new here.name is jayschevy.been looking at theses ncstar scopes.i've got two crosman scopes 4x32,i think.have a bsa something.plus two daisy 4x15.i have them turned all the way left.they hit pretty good.i have a 2400\.177 in a few weeks.would like to get,a decent scope cheap.to put on it.brass muzzle break,trigger shoe,camo stock.those scopes look pretty good.after i finish looking around.will probably buy one.am looking at the scope chart.for 10.00 do you think it will help.i'm not real knowledgable on scopes.help will be appreciated.thanks jay Shocked Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
http://www.opticsplanet.com/

Just call to make sure they have the item you are looking for in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Here are some notes on scopes/scope selection:

Difference between good and cheap scopes: From Ken Marsh

Repeatability Every experienced shooter knows that different weight bullets, and different brand loads, shoot to different centers of impact. It would be nice to just adjust a scope a few clicks depending on which load you choose to use. With a quality scope, scope adjustments are repeatable. This means that if 20 clicks left will zero when changing loads once, it will always, and 20 clicks to the right will always take you exactly back again. On a cheap scope, each click is variable in adjustment, often a shot or two must be fired before it settles in, and adjusting it back doesn't bring it back to the same place.

After bore-sighting a couple dozen scopes, I noticed that the dime-store scope adjustments are very stiff when new. A few shots must be fired to force large adjustments to take. On the other hand, older cheap scopes move very freely, whether they are being adjusted or not. Either way, adjustments to the vertical affect the horizontal, and vice-versa. I've seen some cheap scopes that actually have portions of the adjustment range that move backwards. When they get a little older, reticle float is common. The reticle settles in a different place after each shot.

View Quality scopes employ precisely ground optics and expensive Multiple Coatings. They have less color bleed, transmit more light, and have less edge distortion. All this can mean the ability to pick out antlers among the branches, and brown fur amoung the Autumn leaves.

Usability A quality hunting scope has a longer and more forgiving eye relief and a bigger exit pupil, making them more comfortable and easier to acquire the proper sight picture. They often have a wider field of view than comparably powered cheap scopes, for faster target acquisition. Depth of field is also another issue where cheap scopes lack, especially at higher magnifications. Depth of field is minimum to maximum ranges at which objects will appear in focus. Not a big issue on the range, but it can mean everything while hunting.

Strength Almost all scopes are marketed as shockproof. Not all are. If you dropped your rifle while sliding down that muddy slope, it would be nice to know (once you got all the mud out of the barrel) that the scope is still OK and your rifle still zeroed. The trend towards one piece tubes has helped across the board. There are a few remaining multi-piece tube scopes, notably Meade/Redfield Trackers and Leupold Rifleman and VX-I's. However the Leupolds are a proven reliable design (the Vari-X II design) so you cannot always draw conclusions for specs.

Reliability Cheap scopes are more likely to lose their seal integrity and fog-up, particularly if they have lots of features, like illuminated reticles, adjustable objectives, etc.

Design Cheap scopes are more likely to have design gaffs, such as: Fisheye, Vignetting (outside edge of image getting dark) at low magnification, increase in flare at high zoom magnifications, etc.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Hi all. The Tasco 4X20 is a ok scope but like all small scopes it like looking down a pipe. Not had much luck with compact scopes either "perhaps im just buying rubbish!!!" 3/9X40 is the way I go these days.

thanx K

cfx .22
geox 1.77 underlever
B11 1.77 & .22
1088 pistol
1760 soon
4x15mm 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics