 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | 'Possums and Coons |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:41 pm |
|
|
| Roland the Head |
| New Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 23 May 2008 |
| Posts: 2 |
| Location: Mosby's Confederacy |
|
|
 |
What level of horsepower would be necessary to take care of these pests. Would a headshot with 22 to 25 fpe be adequate? Or would I be better off with a .22 rimfire and CB caps?  |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:30 pm |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
| I think a well-placed 28gr EinJun pellet or such in a 25fpe rifle (28gr would be travelling around 630fps with 25fpe) should work- you'll have some mass and enough velocity to be able to place the shot properly. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:58 am |
|
|
| Rogerflat |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 03 Jan 2008 |
| Posts: 2051 |
|
|
|
 |
If you have the option of .22 to .25 then go with the .25. You could probably get away with the .22 on the possum, but a bigger cal would be nice to have on those coons as they are tough critters to kill.
But a well placed .22 at 700+ fps in the forehead at no more than 25 yards would dispatch both of these animals with relative ease. |
|
_________________ I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:24 pm |
|
|
| thepaladin |
| Senior Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 12 Dec 2007 |
| Posts: 930 |
| Location: TN USA |
|
|
 |
| Depending on your rifle a .22 would do it, espically one of the newer magnum springers (it would easily be done with a PCP). The same would go for a good .25. Look to energy not so much calibor. |
|
_________________ "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke) |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:42 am |
|
|
| cw |
| Banned |
 |
 |
| Joined: 10 Feb 2008 |
| Posts: 1771 |
|
|
|
 |
I have taken many coyote at 70-80 yards with a .22 Condor
pushing Eun Jins. They always drop instantly with a head shot.
CW |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:52 pm |
|
|
| thepaladin |
| Senior Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 12 Dec 2007 |
| Posts: 930 |
| Location: TN USA |
|
|
 |
| Nice precharged. It's can actually be coperable to a .22 LR rimfire. |
|
_________________ "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke) |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:04 pm |
|
|
| Rogerflat |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 03 Jan 2008 |
| Posts: 2051 |
|
|
|
 |
| And the worst spelling of the word "comparable" award goes to.... |
|
_________________ I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:45 pm |
|
|
| broommaster2000 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 10 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 5714 |
| Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands |
|
|
 |
| Thank heavens we're not here to bang on about spelling. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:37 pm |
|
|
| thepaladin |
| Senior Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 12 Dec 2007 |
| Posts: 930 |
| Location: TN USA |
|
|
 |
Forgive me I didn't check back. You will probably find a lot of typos if you want, i seldom preview my posts (note that I didn't hold the shift long enough and the "I" after want is lower case.....horrors, so to speak.) I hope it didn't...."tramatize" you (or should that be traumatize?)  |
|
_________________ "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke) |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:39 pm |
|
|
| Rogerflat |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 03 Jan 2008 |
| Posts: 2051 |
|
|
|
 |
I wrote that in jest rather than critique. I know its pointless to correct people's spelling in message boards because I've done it before and they'll go through every one of your posts until they find one typo and BAM, they throw it back in your face.
But I do think it's funny how people will write so fast and sloppy, almost to the point that you can't coherently interpret what they are trying to say, and then they just hit enter and post it. I always wondered what the rush is and why they don't take ONE extra minute to review what they just wrote for good measure. Although I admit that some words I don't even try to spell right so I just wing it and let it fly.  |
|
_________________ I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:37 pm |
|
|
| thepaladin |
| Senior Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 12 Dec 2007 |
| Posts: 930 |
| Location: TN USA |
|
|
 |
I know (no..... ) no (know.... ) offense taken. I don't really know why I don't take the time either. It's just sort of a habbit I guess. I've typed in answers and then after posting realized that I hit so many wrong letters that it might be hard to understand at least what a word or two are. The world we live in. Hurry, hurry, hurry.....herri . |
|
_________________ "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke) |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:44 pm |
|
|
| 2RCHA |
| Veteran Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 21 Feb 2007 |
| Posts: 195 |
| Location: The Big Smoke, Ontario |
|
|
 |
| For a second there,,I thought "Hal Turner" started this thread,,LOL, Cheer's, Andy. |
|
_________________ QB78-D w/Fitco 4-16x44CE
2x,XS B4-2a .177/.22 w/Fitco 3-9x40
XS B2-2a .22 w/Simmons 3-9x40
XS B9-1 w/AimPoint CompM2
TAC1 Extreme w/Tasco 3-9x40/Var,. Kit
2240/2289g w/Fitco 3-12x40K-GD
Gamo Recon w/ Fitco 2-7x32k
QB-57Deluxe .22 w/Fitco 2-7x32k |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:32 pm |
|
|
| Mar |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 21 Sep 2007 |
| Posts: 428 |
| Location: Victoria, BC |
|
|
 |
| Good gravy...Roger almost sounds like he knows what he's talking about and still he can't consistently do a clean kill i bet. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:51 am |
|
|
| Rogerflat |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 03 Jan 2008 |
| Posts: 2051 |
|
|
|
 |
| Gettin' better at it tho. |
|
_________________ I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:33 am |
|
|
| kanyon |
| Silver Status Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 09 Aug 2008 |
| Posts: 1582 |
| Location: New Zealand |
|
|
 |
Hi all.
I use a .22 cfx on tree bears "possums"
Over here in New zealand they are classed as a pest they
destroy the native bush. Dammed if I know why they were ever
bought here by the ealy setters.
Any way we can drop 30/40 in a night shot I fined the first shot
will drop them from the tree but you have to put a second in the head to finish the job.
Ps.. try a 12g pump now thats fun.
ALL TREE BEARS MUST DIE
cfx .22
Geox 1.77 underlever
B11 1.77 & .22 |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|