Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Paranoid UK Sites
Paranoid UK Sites 
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
I posted an article on power mods to a Twinmaster on here a few days ago no problem, also a few posts back I criticized Canadian sites for being paranoid about over 500fps and silencers, and then made the statement that "the UK had a diffrent outlook to things". Anyway I posted the power mods article on a airgun forum in the UK and within minutes it was wiped off and I got a PM querying the fpe of the mods, I explained that a 7.2 gram pellet at 575fps = 5.29 fpe, but now they say that if I used an heavier pellet it could go over 6fpe which is the maximum under English law but they do not realise that a heavier pellet would travel slower. So they have lost a another poster, and I apologise for my statement about Canadian sites, It would appear that there are some paranoid UK sites as well.

AL

Last edited by Alstone on Sat May 26, 2007 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
"Paranoid Sites" they are everywhere- that was one of the reasons I put this place together- to try and provide a place where paranoia doesn't drive the governance of the forum. Obviously, neither I nor anybody else can instruct people to not be paranoid- but at least having a forum where paranoia is hopefully kept to a minimum is something.

That being said- even alot of US-based sites (forget Canada and the UK for a moment) have their own 'paranoia'- the 'S' word. 'S" for suppressor or silencer. No real reason for this particular paranoia in my mind- yet it is a taboo topic on a huge number of forums.

So- maybe their are even fewer forums than I had initially believed where some sort of regional paranoia isn't present. Great for us- I hope. Skipping Rope

Alstone wrote:
...I explained that a 7.2 gram pellet at 575fps = 5.29 fpe, but now they say that if I used an heavier pellet it could go over 6fpe which is the maximum under English law but they do not realise that a heavier pellet would travel slower...

It's also pretty depressing when people who should know better (i.e. a Moderator or what-not on an airgun forum) can't understand basic physics- or barring that, the diligence to use an online projectile energy calculator to determine what is fact and what is a fiction of their own misunderstanding.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
It Gets better, when I sent a PM to the moderator asking why he had removed my post when it was legal the reply was "but have you evaluated it, especially with a nice, warm bottle of CO2 that's been sitting in a nice, warm lab all night?". So I informed him that my gun was 14% below the legal limit of 6fpe and working on his ruling a rifle at 12fpe less 14% = 10.32 fpe so would he remove all post that stated a rifle was over 10.32 fpe to which he replied that he would have to circulate my pm to all the other moderators for a ruling. Also he said that he had not deleted my post only hidden it!, (its still bloody gone through).

Since then I have pm'd a friend of mine on the same fourm with the details for the twinmaster mod, and he informed me that he had pm'd the moderator about the removal of the post the moderator said knew it was legal my friend knew it was legal and that I knew it was also, but if they put it on the fourm it might make people think that all airgunners were only intrested in was uprating there guns and making them illegal.
Paranoid or what.

So the jurys still out on this one.
AL

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
You know- that really doesn't sound all that much different than quite a few airgunners in, umm, 'other countries'.

Of course, the people that seem to be the most paranoid in these places are the ones who have the knowledge and surely the ability to do their own power enhancing modifications. Don't know if that's an indicator that they have a closet full of illegal airguns or what, exactly- but it is still food for thought. Maybe they truly believe that increasing the power output on an airgun is some sort of 'rocket science' that only a few select people should have knowledge of how it is done.

Fear of possible scrutiny from big brother is apparently quite the muzzle for discussion these days! It too is interesting how the concept of "potential" events or effects of an action/activity has become "reality" for so many people.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:05 am Reply with quote
Alstone
AMEN!

AL

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
We don't have many problems with paranoid sites in my country. Only discussions about how to interpretate the law. It mostly comes down on "if it doesn't look to much like a "real gun" and if you use it correctly, then there is no problem".

Owning an airgun here depends for 45% on the neighbours.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics