Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » Pellet seating
Pellet seating 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Jimmy Earl
I am new to air guns and am still learning. My question is does pellet seating really matter? Will it improve accuracy? Will it help to eliminate fliers? I have a crosman nitro venom .22 and I have recrowned the barrel but still in a ten shot group 3 or 4 shots will be 1-2 inches out while the rest are in the same hole. Does anyone have an idea on what my problem is?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Your problem is more than pellet seating it could be the pellets themselves, I would try a verity of pellets to see what shoot best, also try domed heads pellets instead of anything fancy.

Al

pellet seating 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Jimmy Earl
Ok thanks I have tried several types of pellets and have been using Crosman hollow points. I have ordered JSB domed pellets but they haven't arrived yet. Hoping for better results with the JSB pellets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Depending on how new you are getting consistent with a springer (gas or wire) takes a lot of practice. If you know about the artillery hold then your on your way, if not then google it and read up then practice a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Like garththomas said, look up "artillery hold" and try it. Then tweak it a bit by changing hand position and grip tension. When you find the scheme that gives the best results, practice for consistency.

Keep trying pellets. JSB has a good reputation. I like RWS. In my experience big box store fare is sometimes "adequate" but never "best." Don't get me wrong - I burn through a bunch of Crosman hollow points because they are locally available. I don't use them when I want to hit fleas at 1,000 yards. That might be a slight exaggeration, but you see my point.

Check to be sure the stock mounting screws and scope screws are tight. (Blue Loctite is wonderful.) Check the barrel pivot for play. Check to be sure the pellets aren't hitting the muzzle brake opening on the way out.

I seat my pellets in some situations. Seating gives a slight improvement in group size for some gun/pellet combinations, but not all. In any event, I doubt it would eliminate flyers.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To answer your original question: probably. I have noticed that some pellets (like RWS) with thicker skirts benefit from seating. In my case, these thicker skirt pellets tend to stick out of the breech just a tiny bit. I have found that using a seater (at least on these types of pellets) to force the edge of the skirt into the breach seems to help a bit with accuracy. That said, all the above advice is good advice, and bears trying. Springers are tough, mostly due to their dual recoil, to shoot accurately. They require patience and practice, but the payoff is that if you can shoot a springer accurately, you can shoot anything accurately!
Pellet seating 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo