Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Helping out your friendly farmer Goto page 1, 2  Next
Helping out your friendly farmer 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Okay, I'm going to try to go through the basics of a rat hunt, what you will need and the basics of a rat hunt. There seems to be a lot of interest in this, so I thought I would start a new post on it.

First of all your basic rat is most active from dusk to dawn. This means some late nights but you don't have to worry about disturbing the farmer while he works. Less chance of injury from richochets too. I personally like the solitude and peace. Sometimes it feels kind of creepy with all the scratching and squeaking going on but you get used to it.

You'll need a few things but don't worry, I won't break the bank. You need some time of handheld or head mounted red light. I like red because it preserves your night vision and rats have a hard time seeing it. Rats can see into the ultraviolet, but they are red green colorblind. That is why I like a cheap od green shirt form your local army surplus. Don't wear anything blue. You glow in the dark to them. You can usually get lenses for the small double a maglight. A lot of the bill mounted lights you can buy at walmart have a red option in them. Like I said, you don't have to spend a fortune, but the basics help.

Next, your equipment. A pair of long non-permeable gloves is a must. Dishwashing gloves will work, but they wear out pretty quick. Rats carry some VERY nasty diseases. You want something that keeps the fleas and ticks from biting your hands. Off is a good idea too. I like the deep woods stuff myself. Extra bit of safety. Spray your arms real well. Wear a hat and make sure your arms and legs are covered too. You need a 5 gallon bucket to put the dead rats in. Plastic trash bags make too much noise.

Next is your rifle. You want at least 700 fps. The higher the better, but too high runs the risk of punching holes in the barn or grain bin. If you have a high powered rifle you can use wadcutters. They not only lose velocity quick, they do a LOT of damage. You want a good scope. To be honest a light up reticle is not a gimmick here. I like turning mine to the green setting. It shows up well against a red light. One of the scope mounted flashlights with a red lense is really nice too. If you don't want to spend the money, you can always tape a small maglite with a red lens to your scope. You just don't have the instant on/off button. If you don't want to use a scope a good reflex sight like the crosman open reflex sight is nice. Regular croshairs disappear in the dark. A few modifications I like to do is if you are using a pumper, put a little piece of felt between the pump arm and the tube. THis changes the loud click to a dull thud.

Okay here is your basic rat:

The kill zones are marked on this one, and if you click on it you can get a pic big enough to use as target practice. Believe me it helps. THey move quickly too, so snap shooting is good practice. Whatever you do, poke them with your rifle a few times to make sure they are dead and be ready for a kill shot. I've had plenty of them jump up and take off. If they are well and truly dead, pick them up and drop them into your bucket. Put the lid on just in case. Like I said rats are tough!

Next is bait. I've had good luck with a mix of peanut butter, bacon grease and molasses. They also like fried eggs and macaroni and cheese. Cooked whole kernel corn is pretty good too. Weird huh? I've had some luck with deer-caine and deer popsicles broken up into pieces. That stuff is expensive though just for rats. I had it laying around. Experiment! You may find something that is better than what I have found.

Well, this pretty much covers my knowledge on the subject. If you have any questions feel free to post them!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Too bad night vision isn't a lot cheaper then it is. So how many rats do you useally kill in one night?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
dobiman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Night vision can be made from cheaper equipment. Buy a Sony minicamcorder with infrared mode. Attach it to your scope with tape and use the camcorder's screen in IR to see and aim . There are Youtube vids on how to do it. Maybe you can find a used camcorder on ebay for less than $200.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
Buy a Sony minicamcorder with infrared mode. Attach it to your scope with tape and use the camcorder's screen in IR to see and aim.

Yeah I've seen some rat hunting videos where people have that kind of setup.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
whm1974 wrote:
So how many rats do you useally kill in one night?

Anywhere from 2 to a full bucket. Depends on the time of year, planting and harvest, full moon, and temperature.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So how do you dispose of them?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
old dad
tastes like chicken Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
You're close old dad. I usually burned them just like you would any diseased animal. Double them up in trash bags, throw them on the burn pile, a little barbecue lighter and burn them with the rest of the trash. Some farmers don't have burn piles so I would use the sealed bucket to haul them home and double bag them and throw them in my roller toter. Already called the city and it isn't illegal here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Everywhere I shoot rats, there are enough rats that I can leave the dead lie; The other buggers will drag them back down the holes and eat them. Adversely, I would take the time to dig a hole to burn them IN, then bury it back. Did this with a few city coons.

Great post! Sticky?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I thought some of you guys burned them. I'll bet burning rats smells nasty too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Not if you get the fire hot enough. Rats by themselves won't burn. I use the stuff from the woodpile that is too raw to burn in the fireplace. I always burn them because most of the farmers I know have dogs and they will dig it up and either roll in it or eat it, which with the diseases rats carry can make a gog really sick or kill it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah that's a good idea to burn them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Brake fluid makes a hell of a good propellant :P

My dad suggested getting a bag of Lye powder like they used to dump in the outhouses back in his day, and just putting a good thick dusting over them before burying them.

Hey, I have to tell you guys what my buddies and I do when we get to go ratting together:

We each bring a big Victor trap with us, and bet on who can get one first! The less likely your bait seems to be, or the worse your position, the bigger the bet! I have made fifty dollars in one night! :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
We each bring a big Victor trap with us, and bet on who can get one first! The less likely your bait seems to be, or the worse your position, the bigger the bet! I have made fifty dollars in one night!

I think most of us rather shoot them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
toadmyster223
We do it as an aside, man
Helping out your friendly farmer 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting