Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » Shepherd Range Finding/Compensating Scope...
Shepherd Range Finding/Compensating Scope... 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Anyone have any experiences with these?

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/

Or, what do people think of them?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
No one?

I thought this was the coolest idea on a scope I'd ever seen- two reticles that adjust, zoom is all done in the front half of the tube (they had examples of bent-tube scopes and fire-damaged units- which were still usable)- you line things up, take a shot, adjust, shoot 2-3 more times and you are 'locked in' and it acts like a MilDot after that, but can be re-adjusted easily and quickly without taking any more shots for a dead-center-crosshair POA. The scope's point of reference is inside the scope- not external.

It sounds a bit complex to start- but I imagine after playing with it for a bit that things would get quite simple.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
rsterne
I guess you would have to see it demonstrated to understand.... I looked at the website and went HUH?.... Maybe I didn't find the right page....

If you have to take a few shots, how would that apply to a hunting situation where you (usually) only get one at any given range?....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
toadmyster223
I knew a guy from Wyoming that used these things. He took lots of antelope with it. I have not used one myself, but I think they are pretty cool?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
It looks like the addition of the second reticle in the image plane turns it into a kind of analog computer - like a visual slide rule. Instead of juggling numbers in your head to determine how many "clicks" to adjust, it does it visually. That part I like.

As far as range-finding, it doesn't look much different than a mil-dot or stadia line setup. It still depends on an awareness of target size and the angular displacement between reticle reference marks. To some extent you can even do that with a simple duplex reticle. Their innovation appears to be the circles adapted to targets roughly the size of "big game."

I don't buy the "one shot zero" concept. A one group zero, maybe. If this were industrial statistical process control a sample size of one would result in making a lot of bad parts.

This seems like a good idea for big game at medium to long ranges, which is probably the market they're after. On the airgun end of the spectrum I would like to see A.O. and rating for springer recoil. Then the double reticle would be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Shepherd itself admits 3-4 shots are really required to set things up properly- seems that "one shot" business is some old marketing. I get the idea from their website that they haven't changed anything in 20 years.

Also, that large target/extreme distances does appear to be their area. Too bad, I'd love to see one set-up for 20-100 yards specifically for airguns.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
I'd love to see one set-up for 20-100 yards specifically for airguns

When I shoot at 100 yards I'm looking for puffs of dust or leaf deflection to see where I'm hitting. Then I walk the shots in until I'm on target. With this double reticle system I could hold on target with one reticle, "mark" where I saw the impact with the other, and then reconcile the two. Same thing for windage - small changes in wind can mean feet at 100 yards, and this would make it easier.

It would still have to be A.O., though. The difference in parallax correction past 100 yards is much less significant than at airgun ranges.

I wonder if they could do this with red dot sights? Have one color dot for point of aim and another for point of impact.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
toadmyster223
I do not understand the one shot zero either. Do they mean like, when you clamp your gun into a lead-sled or whatever, fire it, and readjust the crosshairs to the point of impact?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
I do not understand the one shot zero either. Do they mean like, when you clamp your gun into a lead-sled or whatever, fire it, and readjust the crosshairs to the point of impact?

Actually, I was referring to to statistics. No mechanical system is perfect, and when you zero a scope you're adjusting it to the center of a "cloud" or group of shots. One single shot doesn't have a high probability of representing the center of that cloud.

To answer your question: Yes, that's pretty much what they're doing. Except even a lead-sled can move while you're twisting the knobs. If the gun shifts while you're moving the crosshairs then it will be off by the time you get the reticle moved over to the point of impact. Here they use that second reticle as a marker. It doesn't matter if the gun twitches - the marker is inside the scope.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics