Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » pellet style preference. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
pellet style preference. 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wadcutters, feild, domed and hollowpoint what is your favorite?for hunting what? i have used crosman pointed and can take a crow, the domed i have shot and killed a grackle with as for the other 2, the 2 i should probably start hunting with i have not use hunting but will try to soon i used the pointed and round because of shear velocity but recently shooting wad cutters in the bacement make me wonder if i should swich. when those crosman fireballs come on the market i'll be sure to grab some if they are in .22! MAN they look sweet Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
leadman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
birds i normally use wadcutters out to 30 yards any further then that i use cphp bc they are the most accurate i can buy around here

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
DelfinJager
I like Beeman Crowmagnums which I have a hell of a time finding. Right now I am using Beeman Siver bear. I had a chance to recover a pellet from an animals head and it's performance didn't impress me. I would have liked the hollowpoint of open more it really didnt at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:14 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi all

I only like to use the same best performing pellet I can find when shooting, whether it be for Target shooting, Plinking or Hunting. The reason for this is that when using different pellets for different activities with your Airgun your having to constantly adjust the scope to get the POI to stay in the same place as different pellets have variable weights and BC's to the other brands and types.

For example:
Say you just spent most of the day Target shooting at 25M in your back garden using 11.9grn Wadcutters, then later on as you're packing it all away back in its case you spot a Rat/Ground Hog/Rabbit nosing around on the flower bed at 25M, So you charge the Gun again and load a 13.9grn Hollow point in, take aim and shoot, and it runs off unharmed. Obviously the pellet's POI would have dropped just enough to miss the target as the different pellets weight and BC would have pulled it down before it reached it's target. So why make it difficult for yourselves using different pellets?

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
So, Stevie- you use the same pellet for everything? Which pellet are you using and for what primary purpose?

You have to wonder about DelfinJager's experience with those Silver Bears- while it is marked a bit- doesn't look like the pellet deformed at all! You'd think with a headshot hitting bone it would have flattened out at least a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Eric!

At the moment the most effective pellets I have found for Rat raiding and Target shooting with My QB78 are RWS Superdomes which according to our Pellet Spec Chart Weigh 14.5grns. The reason I like these ones is because the skirts on them are pretty thick and the heads are a flatter dome than the round heads on say Crosmans Accupels for example, So when the pellet hits bone the weight in the skirt pushes into the head of the pellet quite a bit resulting in an effective mushroom shaped pellet, Though that depends on whether it hits the bone, It will not deform quite as much if it goes through the eye or neck.

As for DelfinJager's "Beeman Silver Bear's" I think either that pellet went through the eye and never touched the bone or those pellets are designed to impact bone at a different velocity (most likely higher), I would experiment with different pellets if I was getting that little amount of deformation from the pellet impacting the bone, Though it depends on the availability of the pellets for Him, Ever tried cutting an 'X' in the top of a Pointed or Domed pellet? that might just do the trick.

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
StevieLaner7777 wrote:
Hi all

The reason for this is that when using different pellets for different activities with your Airgun
your having to constantly adjust the scope to get the

Stevie Thumb Up!

i don't use a scope...

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
I don't do much in the line of pest control but I have shot a couple of magpies, they have been a nuisance for a while, I normally use Bisley Target Practice so I went out and bought some Bisley pest control pellets and kept them as ready use ammo, the next time the magpies turned up I reloaded with the Pest Control pellets and missed by a mile, the poi was way out, so now I use the Bisley Practice for eveything in my Winchester, and Hobbys in My QB78.

The Magpies have since fell to my QB78 on Hobbys.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Thank you Al

Exactly my point!!

The outdoorsman wrote:
i don't use a scope...

Same goes for any sighting devices.

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i use 5 different types of pellets and can hit the target no problem with open sights
yes some are more accurate but not that much to make a difference, the one thing that i really notice in is speed the pellets produce.

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
The outdoorsman wrote:
i use 5 different types of pellets and can hit the target no problem with open sights yes some are more accurate but not that much to make a difference, the one thing that i really notice in is speed the pellets produce.
What pellets do you use and what velocities do you get?

My old 2200 Magnum shoots real well with open sights to about 20m for about 7cm 10 shot groups, though beyond that holding precise sight alignment becomes more difficult and groups really tend to open up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
The outdoorsman wrote:
i use 5 different types of pellets and can hit the target no problem with open sights
yes some are more accurate but not that much to make a difference, the one thing that i really notice in is speed the pellets produce.

Also what distance are you shooting from and How big is this "Target"???

23ib0d0n
Have you ever tried using a Scope on your 2200 Magnum just to see the maximum it is capable of achieving, try it at different distances too.

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
firts off no i have not used a scope on my 2200 magnum i am against scopes but please don't ask me why. i don't want to argue.

for the velositys i use a soup can and a 2x4 at 30 yrds check for penitration. for example with my 2240 i shot a soup can with gamo master points it only made a small crack in the can's side the crosman pointed shot through both sides.

also that target i was talking about would be a birds head...

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
If you can shoot more than one variety of pellet in your gun without noticeable changes in shooting characteristics that would require re-sighting- you are one lucky guy, or the pellets you are using are very very similar in design (skirt sizing and such).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
StevieLaner7777 wrote:
23ib0d0n
Have you ever tried using a Scope on your 2200 Magnum just to see the maximum it is capable of achieving, try it at different distances too.
Stevie Thumb Up!
Pumpers with big glass are a hassle, but I have been looking into putting a 'mini' scope on it.

However 12 pump strokes yields ~ 10fpe so it is best as a fairly close range shooter and best offhand appears to be 5cm groups 20m accurate with 5~6 pump strokes using crosman match wadcutters putting out just under 7fpe, although holdunder at 10m is about half of a Passer domesticus sparrow.
pellet style preference. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting