Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » What is your primary reason for airgunning? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What is your primary reason for owning an airgun?
Target Shooting (Competitive or Casual)
36%
 36%  [ 111 ]
Hunting (Food, Pelts or Pest Control)
30%
 30%  [ 92 ]
Modifications, Hobby Tuning
9%
 9%  [ 30 ]
I just like guns of any type
15%
 15%  [ 46 ]
Social or Club activity and involvement
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Other: Please specify!
7%
 7%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 305

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Now Joe, that's why they invented AK's!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
22punchpower
I picked " Hunting, Food, pest " but i also enjoy target for fun.
Im pretty new to Air guns but have already Lubed & Tuned my Stoeger X5 & Crosman Phantom .22
This is a great hobby and see no signs of stopping Cool Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
exuberantwrinkl
thanks for information

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
grimlama
My answer was target shooting...I love to shoot, it's addictive. Who can afford ammo for high powered rifles these days...and man have airguns changed since I last shot one.

Trigger time is my real reason. I can afford to shoot my Trail NP 22 and it's getting a workout...some 3000 rds since 20 april.

love and hate the thing...gotta send my fingers off and get them re-trained on trigger pulling...smooothly...lol

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
bullethole
I love shooting firearm rifles best but I love shooting airguns too. Beer cans,Paper targets,quarters(coins). I like to shoot those nasty grackles as well. I mainly like target practicing! Faq-U

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Since I shoot both Air and Rim fire .22 often... I thought I would kick this in here..

At least 3 of my Custom HPA air guns are more accurate then my Custom Ruger 10/22 at 100 yards.

Fact is... a well regulated and tuned air rifle is more consistent than burning powder.

As per cost... That's getting debatable... Some of the premium pellets are starting to cost more than ammo for the Rim fires.

200ct of .22 Predators Polymags Pellets @ Cabela's... $16.99 x2 tins for the day. or $0.08 ea. shot.
550ct of .22 Federal Value Pack rim fire @ Cabela's $18.95 or $0.03 ea. shot.

It cost me 2x + for a day of whistle piggin' to shoot air when you include the cost of filling a SCUBA Tank and when buying ammo local vs. mail order.

BUT! (big butt at that) I don't have to clean my air guns after a day of shooting... so Beer:30 comes sooner.... Mr. Green Win - Win!

Last edited by yourdaddyjoe on Tue May 31, 2011 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I know my airguns are more accurate than my powder burner. I can hit one on top of the other at 25 yards with my airguns and I can't do that with my glenfield .22. I also like the fact that my pain in the a$$ next door neighbors can't hear me harvesting starlings for more pretty songbirds to frequent my feeders. I couldn't do that with a powderburner. I also like it that I can go squirrel hunting with my storm and not spook every other critter in the forest. I just like airguns better.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
DavidS
Banned
Like others on here I started shooting at a young age and got very good at off hand shooting with the Daisy Pump as well as aiming.

While I have other fire arms I like Air Gunning because it fairly safe for shooting varmits here in the country and doesn't attract much attention especially with the NP Trail I'm getting. Not only is it quitter but it also a lot cheaper to shoot.

If I can get the accuracy like another fellow on the SG site who claimed to be able to shoot 1/8" groups at 45yrds/ 135' with the Trail NP I'll really be thrilled and he also said to break it in as described in the owners manual and keep the bore clean.

For those of you that are unaware, using a Copper bore brush or even a Brass bore brush, which is stiffer yet, neither are going to affect a steel barrel in any way as the steel is much harder than either of the afore mentioned brushes. What your doing is removing the minor led deposits that collect within the pores of the Steel and rob the rifle of power as the pellet passes down the dirty barrel at whatever speed it's traveling.

Throughly clean the barrel and run a cleaning patch open weave out back and forth through the barrel till the patch comes out clean. Then put a drop or two of light oil on a patch and pass that down through the barrel and you should not only find you get higher velocities but more consistent groupings.

If you still feel uncertain ask yourself if the different manufacturers such as Outers would be selling a Copper or Brass bore bursh even for our .177's if it was going to do harm to the barrel and leave themselves open to a law suit. The steel the barrels is made from is some pretty hard material and even Brass or Aluminum cleaning cleaning rod is not going to damage your barrel in any way. But an uncoated Stainless Steel cleaning rod might as Stainless is harder than most other steel and indeed some barrels are made from Stainless Blanks but generally in firearms and not compressed air rifles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
one shot
I chose hunting because I got the air rifles since I have overpopulated pests and I want to lower their numbers. Since I have fairly close neighbors I have to use air rifles, otherwise I would Mossburg the pests.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Nightshade
I shoot just for fun as well as mod my guns as a pastime.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I like to hunt and shoot in town, but even if I didn't, gotta think airguns are pretty cool. I like mechanisms. Airguns are a fascinating, useful mechanism steeped in history. It allows one to use muscle power to accelerate a bit of metal faster than the eye can see--even supersonically--and does so with remarkable precision.

If I didn't hunt ot target shoot in town, I would still study and play with them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
thudpucker
I got my Co2 Powered pistol so I could sit out on my porch and shoot those flying critters. Evil or Very Mad
I hit a few. The gun broke. I have parts now, but lost the gun somewhere in this house.

What I really want is a "Shot Shell" for close up shooting.Very Happy
Maybe as far as 20' or so.
Like a Charge of Salt or Corn meal.
I could put that in place of the Pellet and do a lot less Damage to my Porch.

Anybody have suggestions for "shot Shell" at flying insects? Twisted Evil
A relaxing pastime for me. 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
mutus
I like to check my ability to concentrate, and also to see how steady my hands are. I also just like all mechanical objects, cars, clocks, and of course air weapons. Smile:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:47 am Reply with quote
MombaxXxFire
I like to see the squirrel's tail flick in in my scope right before i pull the trigger;)
Target shooting and some hunting/pest control 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
lledbetter2266
Airguns are a great hobby. My main reason for preferring air guns to firearms is that you can shoot an air gun pretty much anywhere (small caliber models). Also, they are very quiet, so you don't attract attention to your backyard range. Plus, they can easily be used for small game hunting. Oh yeah, and ammo is cheap compared to firearm ammo.

Sheridan C9 20cal (5mm)
Benjamin 392
RWS Diana 460 .177
RWS Diana 350 .177
Daisy 130A (Milbro .177-Spanish version)
What is your primary reason for airgunning? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics