Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » What is your primary reason for airgunning? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What is your primary reason for owning an airgun?
Target Shooting (Competitive or Casual)
36%
 36%  [ 111 ]
Hunting (Food, Pelts or Pest Control)
30%
 30%  [ 92 ]
Modifications, Hobby Tuning
9%
 9%  [ 30 ]
I just like guns of any type
15%
 15%  [ 46 ]
Social or Club activity and involvement
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Other: Please specify!
7%
 7%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 305

What is your primary reason for airgunning? 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Just for interest- what is everyone's primary reason for being a part of the airgunning world?

Targets, hunting, modification, and so on.

Click on the poll- and if you like, post up a picture relating to your primary function- i.e. a target grouping, a dead squirrel, you favorite altered gun, a picture of you and your shooting club buddies or your clubhouse, etc.
You forgot fun 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
AirGunEric wrote:
Just for interest- what is everyone's primary reason for being a part of the airgunning world?

Targets, hunting, modification, and so on.

Click on the poll- and if you like, post up a picture relating to your primary function- i.e. a target grouping, a dead squirrel, you favorite altered gun, a picture of you and your shooting club buddies or your clubhouse, etc.

Firearms really aren't fun for me since recoil is really tough on my shoulders. Even the big bore airguns are fun to shoot because they don't pound me.
Of course tinkering is fun too . . . WooHoo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Here's an heavily modified Twinmaster Action in one of my Gun Cases, it can be used with either muzzel break or silencer and although the barrel shroud and muzzel break/silencer are fixed to the body of the gun the barrel is still floating.
I like making things and airgunning is just another extension of my hobby of model engineering, plus I get to shoot up the things that go wrong. Smile

AL

Last edited by Alstone on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Everyone!

Just so that I don't affect the 'Poll' I will not be mentioning what my primary reason(s) is/are, I will let everyone know when the poll ends! (If it ends!?).

OK, When I first started Air-Gunning I had a fixed favourite type of shooting stylee, This lasted as my 'primary reason' for quite a few months, Then it changed to another on the list, This also lasted for a few months, Then this changed again to my present situation.

I still do all three, But some more than others usually!

Some of you hardcore AirGunHome'er's might be able to guess what these three are, based on my posts!, But don't post what you think until the poll ends!!, Alternatively you could PM me, And I will let you know if your right ASAP!!

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Stevie: Maybe the question should have been "what is your current purpose for owning airguns"!

But- I'm sure everyone's purposes change after awhile. I got my first airgun to scare off animals (low powered gun for frightening raccoons, deer, etc.) but now I just like to shoot stuff (I picked 'target shooting' even though my targets could be just about anything). And of course improving things keeps me amused on occasion, but some of the gross flaws in a lot of modern airgun production/design does tend to irritate me a bit.

23iB0d0n: Recoil on regular firearms I find irritating- but it's the noise that drives me nuts! Also- what's with that squashed 20mm slug?

Al: Is that the gun box you made a little while back? Here: http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=304

Looks good- I like how everything is packaged in there nice and neat.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Accuracy is king 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
I really like hitting what I'm aiming at.
AirGunEric wrote:
I'm sure everyone's purposes change after awhile. I got my first airgun to scare off animals (low powered gun for frightening raccoons, deer, etc.) but now I just like to shoot stuff (I picked 'target shooting' even though my targets could be just about anything).

Pretty much anything from plastic army men to shell cases to 10m paper . . .
AirGunEric wrote:
And of course improving things keeps me amused on occasion, but some of the gross flaws in a lot of modern airgun production/design does tend to irritate me a bit.

Tinkering is always fun too, just gotta be careful about running so many projects at the same time that I don't get to shoot every day.
AirGunEric wrote:
23iB0d0n: Recoil on regular firearms I find irritating- but it's the noise that drives me nuts! Also- what's with that squashed 20mm slug?
Firearm recoil hurts and the sound is pretty bad too. Cecil Whiteside let me take a shot with his Big Bore Bob Dean built 20mm and Barnes .87 a couple of months ago. He took some shots with my .457 pistol/carbine and .308 rifle. That was a fun day.
Re: Accuracy is king 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
23ib0d0n wrote:

Firearm recoil hurts and the sound is pretty bad too. Cecil Whiteside let me take a shot with his Big Bore Bob Dean built 20mm and Barnes .87 a couple of months ago. He took some shots with my .457 pistol/carbine and .308 rifle. That was a fun day.

Hi 23ib0d0n, do you have any photo's of the 20mm or .87, I'm sure you must get a bit of a "kick" fireing them, in both senses of the word.

Eric yes thats one of my cases, I also made one for my CP88 I'll post a photo of that in a day or two. I like things nice and tidy so I can't understand why my workshop is a tip.

AL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Well, recently putting my Slavia trough a lubetune was the most "tinkering" I got to. But to be honest, I just like them guns going off in the right direction.

Plinking for air, and in the future just a bit more serious, but mostly just shooting stuff to bits n pieces. I also enjoy the looks and I like designing something that's pretty. Mr. Green Pretty to me anyway.

For serious shooting I'm in a fire-arms-club. Yesterday I fired a .22 revolver for the first time. That's actually pretty hard. I think it will be comparable to firing a twinmaster, alltough I don't think a twinmaster has that much recoil. And that said, a .22 revolver doesn't have much recoil either.

But then, I'm being tought it's not about shooting but about safety now.

Mr. Green

Besides, I'm learning to shoot 25 meters. That's a while away from the 10 meters that pistol-shooting is usually at.

And by the way, 23ib0d0n, why does firearm-recoil hurt you? That means that you're not putting it firmly into your shoulder, as far as I can tell. I know that big airguns appeal to me, but for firing a big calibre, I'd go for a firearm for sure. Could it be that you have a bad shoulder?

And no offence, off course, it's just that the first thing that I was tought to do when firing a firearms: Put the gun firmly into that little hole you make down your shoulder, push your arm down and then it should fit tight. I've fired a .30 carbine once (off the record) and it was really quite friendly on me. I shot about 25 shots with the gun. Terrible groups, because that recoil did put me off my feet a bit, but I hit the paper. I was pretty glad I didn't tear up the electronics there. Wink

Maybe I get something all wrong. I understand that after firing about 40 rounds your shoulder will get a big pounding. Might that be why you chose air-guns over firearms? Don't forget I'm quite starting. Wink

About the sound I can say only one thing: wear ear protection. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Broom!

(In sequential order)

broommaster2000 wrote:
But then, I'm being taught it's not about shooting but about safety now.

I know that a lot of gun clubs today like to make people very aware about shooting safety and all, But don't forget to enjoy yourself as well!! Gun clubs are also great social places too.

broommaster2000 wrote:
Put the gun firmly into that little hole you make down your shoulder, push your arm down and then it should fit tight.

Very good advice from you Broom!!, And pushing your arm down is a excellent method of overcoming hard recoil.

Though the biggest caliber I've ever shot is a .22LR Embarassed and that probably puts out less recoil than my .177 CO2 PPK (Blow-Back). But I hear shotguns give out quite a bit of a kick, And around here you can't go for a walk for an hour or two without passing a someone holding a 12 gauge over their shoulder, So one day maybe I will be able to feel what proper recoil feels like.

Here's some good examples of why .50~cals need recoil buffer springs!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifHkCabYg1I

And:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNlFgr9BoPM&mode=related&search=

Oowch!!

broommaster2000 wrote:
About the sound I can say only one thing: wear ear protection.

Or if you live in the UK or any other Suppressor legal place, Get a suppressor!!

Also, Broom, Are Suppressors Illegal in the Netherlands??

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Alstone wrote:
Hi 23ib0d0n, do you have any photo's of the 20mm

http://www.bigborebob.com/
Cecil bought it after the new upgrades

Alstone wrote:
or .87,
http://www.glbarnes.com/snob_cup.html
The big one in the middle

Alstone wrote:
I'm sure you must get a bit of a "kick" firing them, in both senses of the word.
The lightest weight big bore airguns can give a good shove, but nothing like the jolt from a firearm pounding that leaves bruises behind or separates the shoulder joint.
broommaster2000 wrote:
And by the way, 23ib0d0n, why does firearm-recoil hurt you? That means that you're not putting it firmly into your shoulder, as far as I can tell. I know that big airguns appeal to me, but for firing a big calibre, I'd go for a firearm for sure. Could it be that you have a bad shoulder?

Pretty bad shoulders, even with the big PAST heavy magnum recoil pad and a magnum buttpad my shoulder hurts enough that I don't want to take a second shot with a .308 HK93 or even a .223 AR15 and at this point just prefer not shooting those shoulder beaters at all.
broommaster2000 wrote:

The best industrial hearing protection I know of has a maximum 49db reduction {plugs with earcups} and high power rounds exceed 165db with even the 'lowly' .223 being above the 160db mark. Even with so called 'protection' hearing damage is probable . . .
StevieLaner7777 wrote:
I hear shotguns give out quite a bit of a kick, And around here you can't go for a walk for an hour or two without passing a someone holding a 12 gauge over their shoulder, So one day maybe I will be able to feel what proper recoil feels like.

Shotguns give a good thump with slugs and unbuffered shot, but certain drillings and monsters like that T-Rex move 500grain or 600grain slugs up to 2900f/s {880m/s} may easily cause severe injury to 'prepared' shooters. You won't catch me triggering one of those arm breakers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi the list! I'm just starting to get interested in air guns and my main reason is the lack of noise and restrictions relative to even .22 firearms. I wiil be able to practice, do postal matches and NRA qualifications, right in my own backyard! Smile

Jim McArthur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
leadman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i do a little of it all. right now, my big kick is taking a low end airgun and making it shoot alot better try and make it better then alot of the mid price guns out there

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
under500fps
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Other: Please specify!
I just like plinking and none compative target shooting to pass the time.
I just do some moding only when it is really nessesary.
They do! 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
StevieLaner7777 wrote:

broommaster2000 wrote:
Put the gun firmly into that little hole you make down your shoulder, push your arm down and then it should fit tight.

But I hear shotguns give out quite a bit of a kick, And around here you can't go for a walk for an hour or two without passing a someone holding a 12 gauge over their shoulder, So one day maybe I will be able to feel what proper recoil feels like.

broommaster2000 wrote:

Or if you live in the UK or any other Suppressor legal place, Get a suppressor!!

Stevie Thumb Up!

Stotguns sure do kick! I've fired a 12 gauge double with 28 inch barrels, and a 20 gauge with 20 inch, and they both give you a healthy shove: that provide you DO grip them solidly. A loose grip, and they will slam into you and leave a bruise.

I've also fired .45 auto pistols, and .45 Colt revolvers, and airweight .38 snubbie revolvers with +P loads: all kick hard!

I agree: more so than the recoil, I hate the noise of cartridge firearms. Eek

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
woodell_d
I just bought my first airgun (besides the crosman pump-up repeater I had as a kid). I bought it because I love to shoot. Rifles, shotguns, pistols, doesn't matter. But you can't shoot firearms in residential areas, although there is just open field behind my house. So I decided to get an air rifle so I could target shoot at home and not have to drive a half hour to where I can shoot my bigger guns. At first it was just something to play around with in my spare time, but now I'm really having fun with it! I've already started to upgrade my gun little bit.
What is your primary reason for airgunning? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics