Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Today's hunt...
Today's hunt... 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
When I got home from work I checked out my shooting window. Three birds feeding! Eventhough the tree blew over, they have still been coming back to the area since I heavily seeded the ground around the stump. Fortunately they were 12 yards or so away (which is a far shot for me) and didn't see me opening the blinds or the window, although one them heard it and was startled, but it couldn't locate the danger before I ducked down and loaded my talon ss.

I got in my quirky shooting position sitting on one of my legs to lift me up higher and took aim out of a one inch slot in the window. At that point they were oblivious. Taking my time, I waited for a "one shot-two kills" opportunity. The birds were walking around swiftly and in and out of the defolate of the tree stump and roots, so as soon as the front two bird crossed each others path I fired.

Two flew off and one fluttered about for a moment and disappeared in the debris. I went out with the pistol just in case but it was dead. I skinned it and will eat it tonight. Got it through the upper sternum out its side so the meat was damaged, but it was still a good kill.

If I had aimed a little higher I could've gotten the shot through the one's head and into the body of the other, but with them moving about it was more realistic that I only got one. Oh well, that leaves more for next time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
My hunt today was interesting to say the least. My first kill was a good one. I blasted a bird with my talon at 8 yards right through the breast. Didn't hit the vitals though. It stood back up after the hit and stared at me motionless. I reloaded and took my time aiming right for the head. Instant death. Unfortunately, the bird had a tiny amount of breast tissue, but I still skinned it and prepped it for dinner. I'd need more birds for a meal though.

A bit later I look out and see a HUGE bird feeding in the same place. I felt the "buck fever" kick in and I scrambled to load the talon. I thought I got a good shot off, but the bird was still walking about when I fired and I missed. I was really pissed off. It would've been a nice meal just that bird alone. I stewed for a while and replayed in my head why I missed it, then I went out and re-seeded the area hoping that I'd get one more chance at another bird before the sun went down. I did.

A little while later I look out and see another bird in the SAME exact spot. It's no wonder, because I seed this one spot that is ideal for me to shoot at. Learning from my mistake, I grabbed my .22 Hammerli this time, which I knew was shooting very accurate at that range. The bird was very alert, and was moments from flying away. It was frozen, which is good, so I took aim and fired with nothing but bad intentions in mind. The rifle made a suprising blast sound like a rimfire .22 and the bird jsut crumbled. No movement at all. Redemption, I thought. Redemption.

The last bird got it straight through its upper torso and wings, breaking them both. It too was small, but at least I have two now and feel much better about myself. 2 out of 3 for the day isn't bad. And now I have dinner, albeit a modest one. Heck, I'm trying to eat less anyway to lose weight, so it's all for the better.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting