Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » fall hunting Goto page 1, 2  Next
fall hunting 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
xuthal
Hello im new to this forum.I'm going hunting on the weekend and was wondering when is the best time to hunt for grouse,morning,afternoon,or evening?I live in northern Canada and fall is coming fast.Any tips for hunting grouse?I've hunted before but that was a long time ago and i just followed my brother so im not all that inexperienced.I use a 490 fps spring loaded rifle.Would this take down a rabbit?Thanks in advance guys Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
thepaladin
Never hunted grouse, but just a word here. Where ever you are check the local laws. While a springer will do the job, here in Tennessee it's against the law to hunt any game bird with an air gun. Other than that I'm not up on your chosen game. Squirrel and such here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
A 490 fps rifle should not be used to hunt any game. Air guns should not be used to hunt grouse period. The way grouse are hunted is by flushing them out of their hiding spots and shooting them with a shotgun out of the air.

If you want to shoot rabbits, I'd reccomend getting a more powerful airgun.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
thepaladin
True, didn't notice the 490fps. that's why air guns are not allowed for game birds here. You would have to shoot sitting birds with an air rifle. Well.......unless you're very good.

No, just kidding. As said, the idea is to avoid shooting of sitting birds. And you got some good advice, check foot pounds of energy and don't get sucked in by the fps listed for the gun. Here's a sight I found helpful:
http://www.beemans.net/field%20use.htm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Guess what just came into the shop yesterday...

I am holding a converted to shot gun 2240... I will be going through it to do restoration and mods... It's nick name is " The E-rat-a-cator"

Photo esay to follow...

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I have "attempted" to grouse hunt before with a 20 guage shotgun. Those grouse would bust out once you got within 50 yards of them and fly low straight away from you through the woods. Needless to say, I never shot one.

I also spent lots of time in stands and sitting in the woods hunting other animals and never saw a grouse even once. So doing a still hunt with an airgun and waiting for them to come to you is also an unlikely scenario.

But I realize that some areas may have large grouse populations and they may not be as weary. So maybe hunting them on the ground with an airgun is feasible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Grouse can be taken with a .22 cal sub-500fps airgun- but not beyond about 15 meters/yards. Thus the dilemma Roger brought up- can you get that close to them?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
xuthal
I'm pretty sure i can get close to them,my brother and i used to hunt grouse with a 22 rifle and we would get quite a few.Also he would hunt with a crossman pump pellet/bb gun and he could take down some grouse with that little gun.The laws in my town say i can hunt with an air rifle,and the best thing about it is because i am native and have treaty rights i can hunt almost anywhere as long as its away from the population.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Quote:
i am native and have treaty rights i can hunt almost anywhere as long as its away from the population.

That's awesome!

From my experience, the best time to hunt is dusk and dawn. I've always had the best success in the early morning. Animals will begin to move in the morning once they can actually see where they are going. Often they have a pattern in their behavior, as far as going to a food source, then a water source, then bedding down for the day in a safe location for awhile then going out to forage again just before nightfall. Know your prey. Get out there when its freezing cold and dark out, even without your gun, and just watch and listen as the sun comes up.

I also recommend getting a more powerful rifle. Are you using .177 cal or .22 cal?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
xuthal
177 cal,im working on buying a new one and possibly upgrading.Until then i will have to get close enough and take a head shot.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
xuthal
Well i went this morning and no luck,i didnt come home empty handed though,picked some mushrooms and made an omelet.I also found a new ball for my dog,i dont think i'll be taking him hunting with me though.When we used to hunt with 22's we would take my older dog with us but it was on small islands on my trapline.He would chase the grouse up a tree and we would pick it off with a head or neck shot(our mother insisted).Hopefully i will be getting a better gun with a scope soon and then ill go for some rabbits.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Quote:
.When we used to hunt with 22's we would take my older dog with us but it was on small islands on my trapline.He would chase the grouse up a tree and we would pick it off with a head or neck shot

What do you consider a "grouse"? From my knowledge, they are not something that can be "treed". Dogs don't chase gamebirds, they flush them out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
xuthal
We used to call them "spruce chicken".They are grouse as far as i can tell,just the northern kind.They are also called spruce hen and are smaller and can fly for short distances.My trap line is far north in Canada and while not as close to the tundra i would say 250 air miles from the north west territories.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
More info about the "spruce grouse"

http://fourriverscharter.org/projects/2007%20Watershed%20Wildlife%20CD/Animal%20Pages/Spruce_Grouse.htm

Quote:
...because of the spruce grouse‘s natural tolerance of and curiosity about the humans. That has “won” them the nickname Fool Hen.

That's good that they are known for being "foolish" and curious about humans. That means that they are not weary and fearful of humans. That being said, it's no surprise that they'd be somewhat easy to hunt with airguns.

Btw Buck, what types of animals do you trap?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
xuthal
Sorry i guess i should have said it was my fathers trapline.When i get the chance i go for mink,otter,wolf,lynx and pretty much any fur bearing animal.Prices aren't what they used to be though.
fall hunting 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting