Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Newbie going through rough times needs some advice. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
And I just had sushi last night too. Shocked

They say that the human stomach can handle all sorts of nasty stuff like the parasites and pathogens found in tainted or uncooked food. There is always a chance that you can get sick, but people often have a misconception that they need to thoroughly cook meat or they'll die of some horrible disease.

CW, you said that you burnt the entrails of the game you field dressed so the coyotes wouldn't get sick. But don't you know that they often come across carion and feast off of the putrid remains, and have since the beginning of time? If it killed them then they would've gone extinct a long time ago.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
cw
Banned
It is true that they can get them on their own.

That is just what I was taught. I used to do it, but am
too lazy now. Now I just gut them for lighter portaging and
sometimes take the rack.

As for partially cooked meat. For me, it's not worth the
risk.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
I think he was more concerned about attracting the coyotes than their health. Hope you enjoyed your raw fish...I understand tape worms are prevelant in Japan....hummmmmm.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
cw
Banned
They also have a high infestation rate of liver and lung flukes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
cw
Banned
Kind of makes you want to cook your meat completely.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Thanks for the tips and kind words of encouragement. I really appercaite that.

Part of the reason I asked why it was possible to get around field dressing immediatly, well quite frankly, where I'm at hunting period is forbidden.

Before anyone gets the wrong impression here. Let me state that, if I wasn't in such a bad possition, I wouldn't even concider this at all. Some may say that this doesn't justify breaking the law. Put youself in my shoes for a mintue though. I've tried following the system's rules. According to my state/county we "make too much money" to qualify for food stamps or welfare. I wonder if the people that wrote the schedule for what's a limit on being poor has ever tried buying food for two adults on $100 a month before?

I'm also fully aware that if I am caught while doing this, I will have some sort of punishment to do. I accept that. I can only hope that the judge will concider the situation that has basically forced me into such actions.

Oh, by the way. I love the comment about applying to body shops. To help in my situation I've been alley cruising and dumpster diving for scrap metal. (I told ya I'm doing EVERTHING possible to survive). Because my pick up is so old and rusty, the tail gate has basicall rusted off. Had to weld it back on. And that got me to thinking the very same thing. Monday, I'm gonna call every body and or muffler shop within 5 miles of me!

RE Crowning: That was one thing I read that I would really like to do. If I was in a better situation I would concider doing it. It would be just my luck that after taking the rifle apart, doing the laping, that I couldn't get it back together again or it still be functional.

Jax

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
cw
Banned
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Let me see. Eating or obeying the law.
It probably would be a very easy decision for me as I like to see
my family eat. I am not telling you to break the law, but you have
to eat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
Are you refering to squirrel season? It opens in a couple of days here if it's not open already... Breaking the law will put you farther down than you are now. You can in most places take squirrel legally in your yard with an airgun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Yeah, in my state squirrel season is about to or just did open. Shot gun only though. But um, forest preserves aren't exactilly legitimate hunting area's either.

At least I'm eating (or will be) what ever I kill. Few years back some sick idiots cornered and then shot to death a deer fawn with thier bb guns.

Meanwhile I need to get to researching something I seen on the Outdoor network this morning. I understand there's an organization that's called "hunters against hunger". If I can get a hold of them, perhaps I won't even have to do this at all.

I'm not looking for a free ride or anything. If I find a hunter that belongs to this organization, I would be more then willing to offer helping him in return with planting food plots or simlar duties.

Jax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
My dad is a former hunter, turned land owner. He's pretty much crippled now and doesn't have the lungs or the strength to go out in the field to hunt game. But there are more than a few hunters out there that are drooling for the opportunity to harvest the wide variety of game available on his 150 acre lot in southern Indiana. He will allow those he chooses to hunt, but he usually asks for a little elbow grease in returen. This includes planting food plots for the game or doing whatever chores he needs done.

I can kind of relate to hunting in order to eat. I blasted a couple doves today and I was too lazy go out an get any groceries so I had no food other than the bacon I used to wrap and cook the doves in. That, along with a few beers was my dinner tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
Jaxom
If only I lived near southern Indiana! Heck I think my family IS half of Indiana.

Talk about things beging screwed up. I went rounds with my state earlier this year. Because I hadn't been working, I am behind on my child support. I got one letter saying that if I didn't pay up soon they were going to suspend my driver's license. So I made payment arrangments with them. Few weeks later, I got a "full" 40 hour paycheck from the temp job I was working. Paid that weeks support, paid an additonal $100 towards what I owed in arears. Had a few dollars left over, so I figure I'd go get my fishing license.

Two reasons for this. 1)I could help feed my family 2)Even though my daughter is only 4 years old she wants her daddy to take her fishing.

So I go to apply for the fishing license. I'm denied! Call this other office, and they're like, "we can't apporve your license because you owe on your childsupport". I explain I'm aware of this and that I've already made arrangements to get current while paying current weekly amount. This other department said any arrangments I had with the first department didn't matter and I had to make different ones with them! Mind you at the time I was only making $8 an hour, paying $72 per week for current support order and making an extra $100 per month on arears. This second department wanted an additional $500 down and another $200 per week! They didn't want to hear that I couldn't afford that much. I finally blurted out to them..."you explain to a 4yr old why thier daddy can't teach them to fish!" and then I hung up the phone.

Anywho...I'll get off my soapbox now. Back to hunting. I'm slowly getting my 1077 sited in. It's kinda difficult when you don't have a proper rest and dealing with one of those cheapo scopes. It does group well, just two inches right of center and an inch down from center. I can see why folks have suggested crowning this rifle!

I have a pretty good understanding on how to dress a squirrel. But birds I'm still not sure on. I did read one trick where you get a pot of water hot, toss in some parrafin, let that melt, then dip the bird in that. Slowly pulling it out so the wax sticks to the feathers. You're sappose to be able to peal the feathers off with the wax. Or atleast most of them. To gut them, I understand it's just like doing a squirrel. A slit from neck to anus, scoop out innards. Too bad there isn't a way I can do it and still make it look like a raw chicken or turkey. Of course, who really cares what it looks like once it's on the grill or in the frying pan, eh? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I'm not sure what kind of birds you are hunting, but you do NOT gut them like a squirrel. There are some major anatomical differences between the two.

You cut open a squirrel from throat to anus with a vertical incision. However, with birds you make a horizontal incision right below the sternum.Cutting them vertically would mean cutting right through the breast meat, which you simply don't do.

Removing the feathers or removing the skin AND feathers is optional. With small birds you can just skin them entirely, but larger birds like turkey or grouse you may want to leave the skin on and pluck them. The skin keeps the meat from drying out when you cook it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
It's kinda difficult when you don't have a proper rest

Go to a garage sale and get one of those soft-sided lunch coolers for 50 cents. Make a liner out of a garbage bag or zip-lock bag, fill it with sand, and seal it shut with duct tape. Or roll up a carpet scrap and fix it with string (also makes a good kneeling roll). There are lots of alternatives.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I just wonder if a co2 pellet rifle is an effective hunting implement. I guess it's semi auto so at least you have that added feature if you need to hit the game with a few shots in order to down it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
I've got 3 1077s and they're fun to shoot, but I wouldn't ever think of this rifle as prime hunting equipment. I would feel comfortable with squirrels at maybe 15 yards, but not much more.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting