Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » My crosman 2100 Goto page 1, 2  Next
My crosman 2100 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
SmallGame2100
In my 3 years of owning this air rifle, I've used this bad boy to hunt for small game. Just, I cant seem to be killing them. I've been working on my aim, but seem to be only good with a scope. Do scopes really help that much?
Also, would the 4x15mm scope be good enough for a tight budget?

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The problem is that the 2100 is a BB gun first, a pellet gun second.

By that I mean it has no rifling in it's barrel, so it's accuracy is a bit lacking.

Also- trying to shoot any sort of game using a steel BB is pretty much a waste of time. You might hit the target, and it will end up with a huge bruise or internal bleeding- but it's not too likely to be penetrated and drop dead right there- you need to be sure you are using proper pellets- which for the sort of maximum power a 2100 can put out, pointed pellets would be best for trying to hunt with this gun.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
SmallGame2100
Well since last friday, I've killed 4 birds with this gun. Took a couple shots to kill each, except one. I've used BB's on all of them.

I've used pointed ended pellets, but it takes so long to reload.
How many pumps would be ideal for this type of gun with either a BB or pellet?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
At first I think that you shouldn't be hunting with a gun like that if you're taking more then one shot to kill something (allthough even with a powerfull gun one might make a mistake).

I suggest you drop the whole idea of using that particular gun, and start saving for something a little better. Even then it will prove that hunting isn't all that easy. In some cases you can even use the word torture in stead of hunting, allthough some people derive pleasure from that.

If reloading takes to long for you, it means that either you are not patient enough or there are so many darn pests that need to be killed in which case you're better off with a machinegun or at least a repeater.

The same goes for equipment. Something that's a little more expensive often safes time and pellets. Pellets equal time, and money.

You might want to tell us what kind of game you use? We might be able to point you in a better direction if you do.

And forgive me if my tone sounds a bit aggressive, I'm trying to be helpfull, and get enthousiastic along the way. Mr. Green

If you do it, do it right, or don't do it at all. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
BB's suck for killing anything. Pellets are the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
That was exactly the thing I forgot to point out in my post, but yeah, that's what I cryptically ment to say. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
If a small bird can fly off with a .22 cal pellet in it, then a bb is like nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
SmallGame2100
Well my aiming sucks. So thats why it takes a few to kill. Although, I did drop 2 birds with a headshot.

What guns do you recommend, Broom?
I'm not sure whats good and whats not.

BTW- when we injured a bird, we were quick to kill it so it doesnt suffer.
It wasnt meant for torture.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Real hunters understand that instant death is not a guarantee, even with head shots, and especially with birds which have such small heads. A hunter should try to kill quickly and efficiently but I think the point broom was making is that you are starting off with an inherently deficient hunting impliment, therefore increasing the liklihood that you will not get clean kills.

I'd suggest not using airguns that rhyme with "lazy" or "boss man". But that's just me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
SmallGame2100
What rhymes with Lazy? Oh daisy lol I like crosmans.
How about Winchesters?
I've been looking at some Winchesters.
For example, Winchester 1000x.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I can recommend something, but I'm sure you're not willing to afford it, so I'm leaving this to someone with more expertise on the affordable market.

Silly thing is that I can't afford anything right anyway. Mr. Green

I recon the Airmagnum 850 in 5.5 (590 Fps, is that enough?) with a 4 X 32 scope (or something better) will do for a lot of small game, but I'd like to have that backed up by someone else. It might be a good idea to get some other recommendations too and see what you like most. Winchesters are probable not really good airguns, just another case of badging, but then, my preference on airguns is usually unamerican. Mr. Green

I know you're not aiming at torture, but I personally take hunting quite seriously, even though I'm not hunting, or feel like hunting at all. I expect anyone else to do that too and that's why I'm pointing it out. Wink

It's important to read about hunting, and I think you'll find a lot of interesting things about it on this forum, especially in this section.

Just some pointingz in ze right direction:

http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1324

http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1107

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
SmallGame2100
Alright. Thanks a bunch, Broom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
Unquestionably, use enough gun when you're hunting. It's "part and parcel" to humane hunting. I can't agree with the "blanket condemnation" of Crosman however. Get your self a good 2250 or 2260 and practice till you you can hit what you aim at. They will safely take anything in the small bird to squirrel range.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
thepaladin wrote:
Unquestionably, use enough gun when you're hunting. It's "part and parcel" to humane hunting. I can't agree with the "blanket condemnation" of Crosman however. Get your self a good 2250 or 2260 and practice till you you can hit what you aim at. They will safely take anything in the small bird to squirrel range.
Agreed,
although I've put lots of rodents in the stewpot using a Crosman 760 with wadcutters, and put even more nest raiders right on out of that nest raiding business . . . Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
thepaladin
A Pumpmaster hummm. I got my son one years ago but never tried it on game, never considered it. As long as it does a good job. I would just suggest being careful your gun produces enough power.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting