Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » head shooting a yote with .177? Goto page 1, 2  Next
head shooting a yote with .177? 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
craigfperry
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/pellet.pl?pellet_id=284

read review #5 the guy that wrote it says he would use eun jin .177 pellets to head shoot a coyote.
i'm interested to hear what you guys think of this.
i'm thinkin if my G1 moves these at 500fps then i'm lookin at just under
9 fp at the muzzle, even less when it's 20 or 30 yrds out.
i'm thinking i would have to run up and hit it with a stick or shank the thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Don't know of any springer that would like the EJ, but the .177 Sumatra on full power puts them over the chrony at 995fps ~ which ought to sure enough fix up a yote size predator with a brain pan connection . . . Headshot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
craigfperry
o.k. so do you think any .177 in a so called 1000 fps or a tac 1 .22 would dispatch a coyote?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
If you put together a Crosman like bbgunBob did, with a 20cal barrel and shooting in the 900+fps range then it would certainly do the job.
A .177 in Diana 52 territory that has been tuned to shoot heavies at 990+fps would also work, however a .22 Diana 52 tuned to shoot 16grain JSB Exacts at 840fps would have the clear advantage.

I would venture that any pellet with a good enough bc that it still retains more than 20fpe at the target, would be enough to scramble the brain of a yote as long as the soft spot of the skull is the entry point.

Aimpoint is critical for an airgun hunt, and if I'm having an off day, then I won't pull the trigger on game animals. Pests are different, but I still prefer to 'down' a pest without needing a follow up . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
craigfperry
that is why i'm asking,
i'm not into planting lead into animals and having them run off to suffer.
thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
2RCHA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For one thing, How good of a shot are you?, at the distance your suggesting, would you be able to get 5 shot's placed in a 1.5" grouping?,No matter what the shooting situation is. Next is your hardware, Forget about using any .177 gun unless it's rated for at least 1000fps, and your using either 16.1 gr Eun-Jin's, a Skenco type 3, and most importantly the shots MUST be within 10M, and clearly for the melon.
Any .22 gun that's rated at 800fps and above would be the least you can use, and only with certain ammunition, TAC1 w/ either a Skenco/RWS Hyper-Velocity round, Steel-Tipped Crow-Mag@23gr., or 32gr Eun-Jin Field Point, and again a Dead-On Head Shot would be a MUST!, That mean's that the animal would have to be almost damn near motionless holding up a sign saying"Make sure it's right between the eyes, or I'm gonna bite your Pecker off". So if the star's are lined up correctly, and you encounter that exact situation, Then my freind, by all mean's,Take the shot, Oh, and one more thing, make sure your licenced, and have a tag for the animal you intend on bringing home, Razz ,Cheer's, and Happy Hunting, Andy

P.S. I don't endorse any kind of hunting w/ airgun's, unless it's rabbit sized maximum,,anything larger requires either the use of powder-burning weaponry, Big-Bore Airguns(45cal+), or Cross-bow's/bows that are atleast 150lb draw-weight, and proper tip's are used.

XS B9-1 w/AimPoint CompM2
TAC1 Extreme w/Tasco 3-9x40/Var,. Kit
2240/2289g w/Fitco 3-12x40K-GD
Gamo Recon w/ Fitco 2-7x32k
QB-57Deluxe .22 w/Fitco 2-7x32k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Not sure what the yote in your area look like Andy, but in Texas several of my friends have shot yotes with .22 FX Gladi8r, .22 Sumatra, .22 DAQ light sporter, as well as other assorted air powered marvels including a .22 Diana 54 at 35 yards.

Like I wrote in the previous post, accuracy with good retained energy is a must and since a yote is a non-game pest in most of the US, the tool used should be one that is most effective accuracy at the distance required.

Here in SC the song dogs are alot more skittish, and the closest I've been was at least 200m, but may have even been further. I may figure out how to bring them in closer if I can find the correct combination of call and bait, although that project hasn't been very successful yet . . . Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
craigfperry
thats what i see as my problem, it isn't easy to get close to one.
they are very skittish here in Rhode Island.
but they raid my camp all the time just when i'm not in the tree stand
no tag is needed just your hunting licence as it is open season on private property.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I've seen a raccoon take a shot from a .177 at point blank range and then require a second shot to make it stop moving. And that was with a 1000 fps rifle that it was taking right at the muzzle.

So a yote with a 500 fps rifle at 20-30 yards. Anythings possible. But it seems unlikely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
2RCHA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've been hunting since I was 16(before that I was my Old Man's Dog,LOL), and I'm now 42, and I have yet to see a coyote here in Ontario,,we have them, it's just that they're really small, and not in the area I hunt, but I have seen quite a few Red Fox(No, not the guy from Sanford&Son), and Wolf further up North. The only Game that's available in the area I hunt is Rabbit(Snowshoe/Jack's)White Tail, Moose, Black Bear, Grouse, Pheasent, and Migratory Bird's.

XS B9-1 w/AimPoint CompM2
TAC1 Extreme w/Tasco 3-9x40/Var,. Kit
2240/2289g w/Fitco 3-12x40K-GD
Gamo Recon w/ Fitco 2-7x32k
QB-57Deluxe .22 w/Fitco 2-7x32k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
craigfperry
the yotes we have here are as big as german shepards, they are rarely seen, it's easier to find the signs they leave.

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Talk about a poor excuse to flash ones cash.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
craigfperry
it's the only thing i had at the time as a size reference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
And there I went ahead thinking they left Dollar bills for feces. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
craigfperry
Rogerflat wrote:
I've seen a raccoon take a shot from a .177 at point blank range and then require a second shot to make it stop moving. And that was with a 1000 fps rifle that it was taking right at the muzzle.

So a yote with a 500 fps rifle at 20-30 yards. Anythings possible. But it seems unlikely.

i agree totally, when i first read the review, i said oh goody i can shoot a yote.
then when i did the math it started to look shady at best.
so i wanted to run it by those that are wiser then me.
now knowing i'm looking at 20fpe at the target i can make the correct judgment.
i think a chrony is the first place to start so i know what the a/g pellet combo are doing, then i know what i should be shooting at.

also i have shot more then one coon at point blank with the .22 rimfire,
and it always seems like a bigger caliber would be better.
i think they always do the death thrash, i never had one dispatch quietly.
head shooting a yote with .177? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting