Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Eating your kill Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Until I see a pigeon breeding with a dove, then I will regard them as two separate animals.

I wish pigeons were legitimate game, as well as edible, considering that they are about 3 times the size of a dove and just one would probably make for a good meal. I mean hell, I cooked and ate 5 doves in one sitting this weekend, and that just left me hungry for more.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
texgun
I assume you are outside of the US, dove season is not open anywhere this time of year in the US and it is illegal to use a rifle on a migratory game bird (dove).pidgeons yes, doves no

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
Actually, the laws vary from state to state on what you can hunt with an air rifle, a rimfire, a shotgun etc. Some states specify water fowel can't be hunted with an air rifle, some migratory birds. i believe TN uses the langauge game birds, but I would have to double check and see what the state calls a game bird. For example I believe turkeys are legal, but again, i'd double check.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
texgun
Migratory regs are given to the states from the feds. I may be wrong, but i would be surprised if it were legal to kill a dove in season in any state with a rifle. In texas it is even illegal to hunt squirrel with an air rifle....silly

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
billandbeaufort
In fancy restaurants Pigeons are called Squab! Very good.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
I checked the laws in TN. They apparently agree with you as to pigons and doves. Doves are listed as migratory birds and may not be hunted with an air gun. Pigons are listed with Armadillo, beaver, coyote, English sparrow, groundhog, nutria, starling, striped skunk - they can be hunted with an air gun, all year round with no limit. In other words, listed as a varment.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Around here- you need dual licenses to hunt migratory birds- a "small game license" and a "migratory bird" license. One is regional, the other national. You also need a boat operators license, a fishing license, a drivers license and a license for just about everything now. Turkeys, of all things, also require a special training course and their own license as well.

I'm waiting for the "license to fart" to be enacted soon...

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
Turkeys, of all things, also require a special training course and their own license as well.

Amazing.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote
texgun
do a google on "turkey hunting accidents" Embarassed . makes me glad I hunt on private land.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
cw
Banned
AirGunEric,

I'll fight the fart license law with all my might and if it
passes, I'll become an outlaw.

CW

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I google turkey hunting accidents. Just last week, there was one. The guy said, ""I turned to see what was behind me and I seen them and I went to whistle and raised my arm, but I didn't whistle."

Just as Rose did that a fellow hunter, only 25 yards behind him, shot Rose. More than 100 small pellets lodged inside his head, shoulder and back. The only thing he thinks saved him was his heavy camouflaged jacket."

Another one wrote:

"The teen and his father were out turkey hunting, when they say they saw Barnette approach their fence.

At that point, the teen's father said he whistled three times trying to get his attention.

"He looked at my direction, squatted down and in just a mere second, fired his gun in our direction," said Bud Easler, the teen’s father."

It's amazing how many fathers shoot and kill their sons while hunting. Can you imagine the guilt you would feel.

People like that should be treated as felons and thus never allowed to own or operate firearms. Not only are you so stupid that you shoot people, but you are too stupid to even know you are shooting someone.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
I won't go so far as to comment on new laws, but careless hunters make us all look bad. This type of thing is comperable to what people used to referr to as "brush shots". Never, never, never shoot without knowing your target and what's behind it. I wonder what goes on in the mind of someone who fires into the brush or at a sound.

Of course, there's always the possibility that someone gets shot on purpose and then the shooter wants to have an "oops" excuse, but that's another line of thought completely.

My point is if we know anyone this careless, we need to clue them in and if nothing else works maybe they can be shamed into responsibility.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting