Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » .22 or .17 for hunting ? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
.22 or .17 for hunting ? 
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
cissp22
HI Friends :

i realy liked your comments on air rifle hunting subject ..realy need you helping me in this matter :

almost handling with some magpies and rats but mostly farder than 60 yards ! (so sharp and scape when getting near! ) . I almost afford buying Gamo shadow 1000 air rifle.

plz help me with the callibre , .177 or .22 ??

also thinking of gamo Vipermax which is around 100 dollars more ...how about Diana 48 or 52 ?

which one do u suggest , shadow 1000 or Vipermax?Diana? ...and what callibre .17 or .22 ??

thanks for your responces.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Cissp,

I don't believe the Gamo Shadow even comes in .22 caliber. 60 yard shots with anything but the highest powered air guns are going to be hard to come by. Fortunately you wouldn't need much knock down power on birds and rats, so you could use a .177 and be fine. The RWS models will definitely reach out to 70 yards and beyond.

I can tell you from personal experience that I have shot birds at 50 yards with my .177 Gamo Shadow and it did not kill them.

I'd go with the Diana 52 if you've got the $350.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Hi cissp22, and welcome to AirGunHome.
I don't hunt much but quite a few guys overhere (UK) who shoot in woods have changed over to .177 which give them a flatter pellet path, making it easier when shooting through tree branches, but there again it depends where you are doing your shooting.

Al

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
cissp22
thanks Rogerflat .

u know Diana 48/52 costs more than 450$! i cant afford that ...surprising that ist more expensive than Diana magnum 350!

as it says Gamo shadow 1000 muzzle speed around 1000 fps ! ...maybe exaggeration..

well , i cant afford buying shadow 1000 , maybe gamo vipermax or diana 34 ...any point with the callibre ?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
cissp22
Thanks Alstone..

yep thats true . as u know kinetic energy = 1/2 m V^2 ....and more velocity square effects the energy .

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
My shadow was only $150. If you can't afford that then you won't be able to afford any air rifle with any significant power. Although you may want to look into techforce rifles which are pretty powerful and inexpensive.

That 350 magnum is a monster. Its really long and you could get the .22 which is about 1000 fps. Then you'd have long range capabilities and the knock down power.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
cissp22
So Rogerflat , u satisfied with your shadow 1000 ?well u brave me to collect more for diana magnum 350 !

do u realy feel 1000fps muzzle speed in your Shadow or exaggeration?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
In most cases it's exaggeration. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
cissp22 wrote:
thanks Rogerflat .

u know Diana 48/52 costs more than 450$! i cant afford that ...surprising that ist more expensive than Diana magnum 350!

as it says Gamo shadow 1000 muzzle speed around 1000 fps ! ...maybe exaggeration..

well , i cant afford buying shadow 1000 , maybe gamo vipermax or diana 34 ...any point with the callibre ?

Not really. But if you want to go for a 52, you'd be better of with getting a 54.

Anyway, what are you going to hunt?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
cissp22
broommaster2000 thanks ,

well hunting some Obtrusive Magpies ..but mostly farder than 60 yards , they are so sharp and escape when getting near !

i tried shooting them with chinees B-3 air rifle ..well i better say they laugh when they get hurt !maybe itching !

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
You want to kill them. Be a better hunter. Don't rely on the gun to reach out and touch them. You get closer.

Bait an area to draw them in or go to the area they are normally at. Camo yourself or create a good blind so you can be concealed from their view. Get some water and snacks and just wait patiently.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
Tat2dman
In my experience 60 yards on a magpie is a loooooooong shot Rolling Eyes ,most all FPS ratings are false,well maybe not false,but they use the lightest pellets they can,hence the higher FPS #`s,media hype ya know...and but the way the shadow is available in .22,just not in the USA Faq-U (don`t know what they were thinkin on that one!)They`d sell a bunch!!!!!!!! Cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
cw
Banned
Go with the .22 Diana.

.177 is pretty much for target and very
small prey.

.22 caliber has exactly the same trajectory as .177 at the same
velocity, with way more energy.

.177 loses energy fast after 20-30 yards.

Just my personal experience from trying to hunt with .177. It can be
done, but why try to take game with inadequate power?

CW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
cw wrote:

.22 caliber has exactly the same trajectory as .177 at the same
velocity, with way more energy.

Uhh, I though that the trajectory is a bit different because it's heavier? It's certainly not the same trajectory when you have the same velocity.

A .177 will stay in the air a bit longer then a .22 at for instance 180 Mps (590 Fps).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Quote:
Uhh, I though that the trajectory is a bit different because it's heavier? It's certainly not the same trajectory when you have the same velocity

Yeah, I thought that too. I think it was a bit of a ballistics faux pas on the part of cw.

He's probably thinking that gravity effects each projectile the same, therefore they drop at the same rate. They are going the same speed so they would go the same distance and drop the same amount. This, theoretically, would create the same trajectory.

However, the velocity at the muzzle may be the same for each gun, but the velocity at every interval thereafter will vary between the .177 and the .22. The .22 will obviously slow down more, thus changing the trajectory.

I know it slows more rapidly from wind resistance since it is larger, but does its greater mass make it slow faster too? I'm not up to snuff on my Newtonian physics I guess.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting