Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Yesterdays hunt with the air shotgun Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I don't know why the shotgun all of a sudden started working, but it has. The last five birds in a row I have shot with it I've killed. So apparently it just needed a breaking in period to get lethal. Three of the birds were hit in the head and died straight away. I realized that shooting them in their side is the best way to go. The head is more exposed and the wing can be damaged more easily. The scope is working great with it btw.

It's just a matter of being lucky enough to get a shot pellet to hit their head or wing. After skinning one of the birds, I saw the amount of penetration the pellets did. Some of them penetrated the muscle, but not very deep. Others just bruised the muscle and didn't even penetrate. However, the pellets that hit thier heads caused massive hemoraging.

I will say that I have changed my opinion of the air shotgun and I'm really starting to have a blast hunting with it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
You know, a .177 that produces even 5 foot pounds with a good head shot will kill a bird reliably. If you take it up ti 12 foot pounds it'll do even better. My Stutzen will give you 16 to 17 foot pounds easily. One head shot and you don't need the pistol. A good .22 pellet rifle will hit even harder, no slow kills.

Just a thought, not being a smart --- I just wonder about the fasination with air shotgun. A good head shot at even 40 yards will kill fast and reliably.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Head shots on birds are not very feasible. You can go for them, but you won't always hit them. I shoot most of my birds on the ground, and if you know birds, their heads bob back and forth as they walk around. Very hard to get a still shot. Birds in trees, well, their heads are on the top. This makes the target even smaller, albeit still. And it's what, a nickel size target. At forty yards shooting a nickel might be fairly easy for a seasoned shooter on his bench, but when I'm aiming the rifle through a window its very difficult.

Ironically, the airshotgun is a head shot master. The last five birds I've shot with it had blood pouring out of their heads. Of course they had several other holes in their bodies too, but the spray gives you about a 50% chance of getting a head shot, and even better odds the closer they are.

Yesterday I had two birds a foot apart at 10 yards. I aimed right in between them. One fell with shot to the head, the other flew off.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Hey Roger have you got a photo of this Shotgun, I'm quite intrigued to see what it looks like.
My impression is of a kiddies pop gun in which you replace the cork with lead shot.

Al

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Not sure if that was a "serious" question Alstone. But if you google image "gamo shadow express" you'll see pics of the exact rifle I have.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Rogerflat wrote:
Not sure if that was a "serious" question Alstone. But if you google image "gamo shadow express" you'll see pics of the exact rifle I have.

Of cause I'm "serious" Roger, I have just had a look on you tube at a gamo shadow express and it's quite an imppessive pice of kit, in fact It's the type of gun I would buy, I like out of the orinary airguns and the Video from Airgun Depot's of the Gamo is very good.

I would like a smaller shot patten through, can you fit a choke to the barrel to reduce the spread to somthing like 6" at 20 yards? that would suit me fine, or is that to far in shotgun mode?

Al

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Quote:
I would like a smaller shot patten through, can you fit a choke to the barrel to reduce the spread to somthing like 6" at 20 yards? that would suit me fine, or is that to far in shotgun mode?

I've not heard of any type of full choke options for it. Though that would be nice. This gun is not effective at 20 yards for killing. Only 10 yards or less. I shot a shoe box at about 8 yards and the pattern filled the whole box, and I wear size 14 so it was a large box!

A wide spray pattern would be nice for shooting on the fly, but this gun doesn't have the range for that...unless birds are like flying right in front of you. So I'd have to agree that the pattern is too loose to be effective at longer ranges.

Gamo advertises that the airshotgun creates "new opportunities in airgun hunting". I'd have to agree with them. The airshotgun is actually really fun and lightweight and easy to handle. And to a seaoned airgunner, the idea of not really aiming yet always hitting your target is very refreshing.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I hope you're just using .22 pellets for hunting. They make for a much cheaper, and better kill.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Quote:
I hope you're just using .22 pellets for hunting. They make for a much cheaper, and better kill.

No, I use shot shells mostly. I tried the pellets but the birds kept flying off. I shot one recently with the shot shells and wounded it. Then I loaded a pellet and shot it again. Still didn't kill it. After I finished it off, I turned it over and the pellet had deflected off its left breast (which should've been a perfect heart shot), and then the pellet hit its leg, nearly severing it completely off. The hole it made was nearly two inches across. I'm not sure why at 700 fps that the pellets aren't effective at penetrating, but they are not.

The pellets are cheaper. The shot shells are 30 cents a shot. But hey, I'm not in this hobby to save money. And its not like you "plink" with the shot shells, nor do you need to sight in with them. So you can make a 25 pack last a while.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
The Express is smooth bore, so rather than us pellets in it, a rifle would be preferable for that.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Quote:

The Express is smooth bore, so rather than us pellets in it, a rifle would be preferable for that.

Which I have, and still use. But the shotgun is used for shot shells.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Rogerflat wrote:
Quote:

No, I use shot shells mostly. I tried the pellets but the birds kept flying off. I shot one recently with the shot shells and wounded it. Then I loaded a pellet and shot it again. Still didn't kill it. After I finished it off, I turned it over and the pellet had deflected off its left breast (which should've been a perfect heart shot), and then the pellet hit its leg, nearly severing it completely off. The hole it made was nearly two inches across. I'm not sure why at 700 fps that the pellets aren't effective at penetrating, but they are not.

The pellets are cheaper. The shot shells are 30 cents a shot. But hey, I'm not in this hobby to save money. And its not like you "plink" with the shot shells, nor do you need to sight in with them. So you can make a 25 pack last a while.

So in other words and actuality that Gamo sucks as a hunter.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Quote:
So in other words and actuality that Gamo sucks as a hunter.

So in other words, in actuality, Gamo sucks as a hunter.

That's how I would've worded it.

My kill ratio is better with the shotgun than with my other rifles, so I'd say it's an effective killer.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Strange.

Well, I guess that "other" rifle you got is going to take care of that hunting issue, huh?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
riarcher
Shocked In F'in credable! Crying or Very sad
Yesterdays hunt with the air shotgun 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting