Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Yesterdays hunt with the air shotgun Goto page 1, 2  Next
Yesterdays hunt with the air shotgun 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Hopefully my hunting stories are still allowed here. So yesterday I got my first kill with my Gamo Express shotgun. I shot this bird at about 6 yards while it was on the ground. Must have been a lucky hit because it disabled its wing and prevented the bird from flying away. I had to finish the bird off with my pistol since the shotgun was not powerful enough to render the kill, but I know that it can at least prevent a bird from flying away. In addition, there was a lot of blood loss caused by the intital shot. And this was a pretty tough bird, so maybe there is hope for the air shotgun yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Mar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe you should get a canon.

I think you should keep your hunting stories to yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Barry46012
Gesh,allready! Evil or Very Mad To Roger that is,You`re givin Indiana boy`s a bad name! Faq-U

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Roger- tell us some lies or something- things along the lines of "I killed this crow/magpie with a single, well-placed shot to the head."

I'm glad the air shotgun is working better than it was, and/or you are shooting better- but please, practice a bit more on some inanimate objects and then give us some good hunting stories.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Bhargav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
what horror stories man.. put this line in your signature "one shot one kill".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Snails make for good moving target practise, hopefully you should be able to disable it before it gets into nextdoors garden/yard!

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welll air shotguns are useless for hunting, what gage is it? or is it a caliber? what # shot?

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
cw
Banned
NONMOVING PAPER TARGETS!!!!!

Until shot placement improves and
get a better airgun. MO.

CW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
For those of you who don't know much about shotguns, you don't aim them, you point them. I've even got a scope on it so I do actually aim it, although it doesn't really matter as long as your within a foot of the target.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rogerflat wrote:
For those of you who don't know much about shotguns, you don't aim them, you point them. I've even got a scope on it so I do actually aim it, although it doesn't really matter as long as your within a foot of the target.

ok so you are scoping a shotgun....whoa! who dumb is that? also what gauge? or is it a caliber? and what # shot?

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Quote:
ok so you are scoping a shotgun....whoa! who dumb is that?

Who dumb is that?!? It's about as dumb as saying WHO dumb is that. Actually, its a good idea. I had the extra scope, so I just slapped it on there. Keep in mind this is a .22 pellet and shotgun combo, so I can still use it as a regular air rifle, although the barrel has a smooth bore. The only reason you would not want the scope is if you were shooting moving targets, but this gun has no power so you wouldn't be shooting birds on the fly or rabbits on the ground, so what's it matter.

Quote:
also what gauge? or is it a caliber? and what # shot?

.22 call. Don't know what guage that translates to. I think the shot number is 17, but not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The outdoorsman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
simple spelling mistake

and there is no reason to have a scope on any shotgun. even if you shoot a .22 pellet because at 6 yards, that is super pathetic. also if its a .22 it is not a gauge it is a caliber. 12 gauge is a gauge, and a .410 shotgun is a caliber.

i dont think that you should be telling people "those of you who dont know much about shotguns..." because i wager that i know more about them than you and i dont know much more than the basics

and an air shotgun is a pathetic peice of hunting equiptment..... it is a cool idea but not practical for your use.
i dont know what gun this is but i assume you mean the viper express and doesn't it have rifle sights? so how do you point that? how do you point with a scope?

# 17 shot! lol lol Laughing Laughing you have know idea what you are saying Laughing that would be like dust!!! lol ok picture the size of a bb....that is bigger than # 2 shot, going all the way down to 17 which is not a standard size lol big mistake there

your gun i think is # 9, and i wouldnt trust that for more than a grackle

Shooting Pistols

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
It's a shadow express, which uses the same stock as the shadow 1000 which I also have. The Viper stock is gray and has rubber padding on it. Everything else is the same though.

It only has a typical shotgun front bead sight, which is not meant at all for rifle shooting with a single projectile. It is #9 shot, I don't know where I got #17 from (although I'd hardly classify that as a "big mistake"). And I agree, this airgun is not a hunting implement, it is a gimmick.

And truth be told, I ended pumping three shells worth of shot into that bird and still had to shoot it twice with my pellet pistol to dispatch it.

But why I feel Gamo has really false advertised here is because they say it is for "small game". But clearly only a mouse could be killed by this gun. However, a mouse is so small and the spray pattern is so wide, that even at five yards, you'd be lucky to get a single pellet in the mouse. All the rest would miss. Maybe if you aimed at a dense cluster of mice you could kill a few.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Mar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Roger...
May I b!tch slap you now?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
leadman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
honestlyi wont say i know alot about airshotguns but the trapmaster 1100 is more then suitable for pesting using shotshells andthe .38 cal roundballs are well suited for cottontails and jacks. the express is just a gimic and you have to realize that the claim to small game is expressed due to the .22 insert to fire .22 pellets but i wouldnt even use it on anything but perhaps squirrel at say 10-15 yards. and in reguards to scopeing a shotgun, when being used as a shotgun mounting a scope really is as dumb an idea as bragging about unethical hunting ie being glad that you have a way to brutally wound a bird in THREE SHOTS so it cant fly away giving you time to meander over to it and finish it at point blank range with another two shots.

the only time i have mounted optics on a shotgun is my tactical shotty wears a tasco red dot (still gives a wide enough fov to use with shot and works well with slugs) and my mossburg 12 guage bolt action which is a dedicated slug gun.

Roger i respectfully ask that you re-evaluate but your guns and your inability to hunt ethically. Unless you really are just the lazy pos that feels taking 5 hits on an unnamed "tough" bird to kill it is acceptable

Eric

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting