Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » My first Bore Lapping rig
My first Bore Lapping rig 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I acquired a .177 barrel for my B50 which to my dismay I found to be quite inaccurate.

I'll say the last 1/16" at the crown would grab the pellet but there were no burrs and since the crown had been relieved so much I was hesitant to just redress the crown. While pushing pellets down the barrel I felt a lot of roughness and uneven resistance so I knew it needed lapping.
My amateur lapping which I won't go into has cleaned up a few of my barrels but this ones beyond that so I googled it and some fellow named Sean had a couple videos that simplified it to my liking.
I just happened to buy a small lathe last spring and I figured I could make what ever I needed.

The bearing was found in my father inlaw's garage after he passed, I bought a piece of 1/8" brass rod to do the pellet pushing so I threaded it and made an adapter for the cap screw from a piece of 3/16 threaded rod. I turned and drilled and threaded then pressed the plug in the bearing center to attach the rod.
.177 is pretty small so I'm thinking Ill pour the lead around the cap screw.
What do you think? I'm waiting to get to my torch etc. so I can melt lead, I separated from my wife last March about 2 weeks before I got the lathe in fact. Life hasn't been this good in a long time Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Gippeto
Sean Pero at a guess? Think he might have a post or two about it on here too.

Watching with interest. Smile

Al

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I'd read all the negative posts about lapping .177 barrels I may not have tried but it worked out maybe not as smoothly as this video I was going from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8xaaUaTTY
I think it was successful but of course once I got going the camera was almost all but forgotten.
It was very tricky to pour lead in to the barrel

I had to heat the barrel just enough to get the lead to flow, after it was all said and done the barrel showed no discoloration so I don't think it was damaged.

]
I poked the plug out of the end of the barrel and used a file to make the cross grooves and clean up the end.
So as for accuracy this barrel likes the Crosman premier domes and RWS super domes as well as super points, I don't have any other .177 pellets to try at the moment but I'm going to leave this barrel on since it appears to be better.

My first Bore Lapping rig 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing