Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » .308 BBT Whiteout wins EBR
.308 BBT Whiteout wins EBR 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
For those of you that haven't already heard.... the 200 gr. Bob's Boattail "Whiteout" bullet I designed for the Extreme Benchrest Contest, which took place in Arizona last weekend, placed 1st and 2nd in the 200 yard Pro Division.... The gun is a .308 Extreme by Brent Hoag, running on Helium, shooting 970 fps (420 FPE)....

The bullet was designed to have the minimum possible drag to minimize wind drift.... The mold was made by Veral Smith of LBT.... The concept of the gun was to duplicate the ballistics of the .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper) PB round, and during testing they pushed the big 200 gr. to 1080 fps, IIRC....

The gun was very late being assembled and tested, they only had 3 months for the whole project from concept to the event.... It regularly prints 5 shot groups with all the holes touching at 100 yards, but the consistency at 200 yards isn't yet where we want it, although it did manage to print the group below at 200 yards, showing what it is capable of....

The shooters were able to hold on target at 200 yards, even though the wind was gusting 12-20 mph during the event.... Chris Alls shot 169-3X and Mike Pangle shot 168-1X out of 200 in horrible conditions.... Examination of the targets showed that some of the flyers were showing a bit of yaw, so the bullet is a bit long for the 8" twist, something we will correct by pushing the Meplat back slightly.... Doug Noble, who placed 3rd with a 165, shot too many bullets at one target and lost out on the win, so the guys from Virginia didn't have it all their way.... Doug was shooting a .308 cal highly modded Condor.... Next year, Helium will not be allowed in this category, although AoA say that there may be an Unlimited Division to include it....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
toadmyster223
very cool!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
firemandivi
Congratulations on that awesome bullet design. I followed the rifle build on another forum. That is a great rifle. It never ceases to amaze me what people can do with compressed air or in the gas Helium. And as usual rsterne is involved in yet another great project. Thanks for all your posts and how to's I can't tell you how much I appreciate them. If your ever in NY let me know and I'll buy you a beer. Keep up the good work.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition