Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Which gun to mod
Which gun to mod 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
firemandivi
I need your help guys. Seems over the years of killing wood chucks they have gotten wise to the limitations of my Super Streak and its 20 yard range. So I’m looking at going PCP so I can reach out and put a pellet in them at about 50 yards or so. I was originally going to buy a 0.25 caliber PCP something like a Sumatra or Condor SS. But there are rumors of the NYSDEC changing the hunting laws and allowing airguns for big game in the near future so I want to save my money and buy a big bore once the laws have changed.

I still want to get a PCP but want to do it on a budget. I’m thinking I should stay in the 0.22 caliber range and mod a 2240 or a QB79 for compressed air. I have seen multiple builds and how to for these all over the internet. My question is which is more accurate and how much power can one get from a stock QB79 converted to compressed air and how much power and accuracy can one get from a 2240 with a 14.5” barrel? From what I’ve seen both are capable of hitting 30+ fpe with some tuning done. How much work is it to tune those airguns, is one easier to tune over the other? And which one is a more accurate platform?

I like the QB79 conversion because it appears easier to do, just can’t find a tank with the right regulator on it so that means buying a tank and then also buying a regulator which adds to the price. Then again I like all the work that you can do to the 2240 and it doesn’t appear to be that difficult either. This will be my first time moding an airgun. I did a lot of work to get my SS where she is today but I know pcp's are a different beast. Let me know what you guys think. I’m open to all suggestions. Thanks for the help guys.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Any reason you're not considering a Disco? It's accurate to 50 yards plus, and powerful enough for groundhogs out of the box. It's inexpensive, easy to work on, has a low fill pressure (2000 psi), and even gets a decent shot count. Lastly, there's a bunch of "mod-stuff" available.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
firemandivi
to be honest I did look at the Disco, but its a little more then aQB79 with an airtank. Took me a while to find said tank with the SHP regulator but I did Smile. The only reason I wasn't looking at a Disco was the price its about $50 more then a B79 with a tank. Plus I like the idea of a regulator, the shot count and that you can change bottles. Is the Disco a better gun then the QB79? Trigger and accuracy and all that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Just to mention it- you should have a better range than 20 yards with the Superstreak if it's operating correctly.

The Disco may or may not be better than a QB79- really depends on the quality of the battel that day at either factory.

As for the "SHP" regulator- you do not need a tank with it (it has a very limited adjustability)- the better way to go is with the older Ninja tanks/regulators where you can adjust the output pressure to whatever you want using the appropriate shims/washers.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"Better?" I don't know...the trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but is easily made better for $00.00 (nuthin' but time and attention to detail), and better still for around $55.00 (Alliance Hobby brass replacement trigger). Comes with usable if not great iron sights, and has a dovetail cut into the top for scope mounting. I don't have first hand experience with the QB, but both it and the Disco are (likely) manufactured in China, so quality will (again, likely) be hit or miss. Both have strong aftermarket followings, but the Disco is sold by Crosman, which is easy to get ahold of on the phone, and sells replacement parts super cheap. Also, you mention a $50.00 difference in price. I've seen a Disco as low as $180.00 from Airgun Warehouse as a refurb. Also, you'll still have to get the stuff and do the work to make the QB an actual PCP (more money?). The Disco is a PCP (dual fuel/CO2 or HPA) out of the box. If you look around the web you'll find "Disco double kits" (increase shot count) and multi-shot breech kits from BNM (shrouded barrel and Maraauder-like breech and magazines).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Discovery is NOT made in China.

To make a QB79 a PCP, you only need the 13ci HPA bottle- the rifle will shoot using up to 1400psi without any other modifications.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
firemandivi
Thanks for the info guys. I will probably end up with a QB79 but I'll keep my eyes out for a cheap disco. still have to get the okay from the wife and that will take longer then anything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Huh, I apologize to firemandivi: I thought you had to beef-up the valve (and clean out the oil, at least) to run over 1000psi in one of the QBs. Just shows my lack of experience...

May be splitting hairs here, but I'm not sure "made in America" is the same as "assembled in America with globally sourced parts." Several Toyota models are assembled in America, but does this make them any less a "Japanese car?" See picture below, taken directly from the Discovery page on the Crosman website. Perhaps I am misinterpreting what I am reading, but my gut tells me: a gaggle of "Made in China" parts right there. Not trying to be argumentive, just a bit confused.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Unless something has changed in the last three years, about the only parts not being made in the USA for the Discovery is the fill nipple (i.e. shrader pin) and the pressure gauge- all the major parts were being made in the US- i.e. barrel, valve, tube, stock, etc.

Putting that in a more accurate context- who's to say the US supplier of some of the parts Crosman is not making in-house aren't coming from somewhere else? Can't say. But what most people don't realize is that the Crosman factory outside Victor, NY has a foundry and they make their own barrels, stocks, pellets and Co2 caplets on-site. Not totally sure if things like valves are done in-house or are coming from an external supplier.

Comparing the all-Chinese made platform they sell under 20 different "names"- i.e. Optimus, Phantom, Fury, Vantage and so on and so on (as well as all their airsoft and most of the BB pistols) to the actual Crosman-made products can be misleading.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Which gun to mod 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles