Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » 3 Pest Raccoons in 5 Minutes: .177
3 Pest Raccoons in 5 Minutes: .177 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
AGBug
I know there's a lot of dispute about the power of a .177 vs .22 when pesting anything larger than a squirrel, however my .177 is a professionally overhauled bad boy Big Cat 1250 break-barrel with a Charlie da Tuna custom trigger.

Event date 9/19/2014
My elder uncle was having serious raccoon problems and asked me to come to his small farm to take care of them. If this had been ten years ago he would have taken care of them, but with failing eyesight and hand tremors, he turned to me. Long story short, here are some shots of the aftermath of 3 raccoons These three were 20' up in a mulberry tree having late-night dinner. They were taken down at approximately 33, 30 & 25 yards (measured post-kill using uncle's measuring wheel) just past a hedgerow as I moved along it towards them.

But first, the rifle:

The rifle--immediately after purchase--was sent off to airgun smithy in central Michigan to have it (what was advertised as) "Turbo Tuned" which included: a dynamic magnum mainspring (there's no annoying 'TWANG!' from the spring like when it was factory made), boring of the spring cylinder, cocking surfaces ground and polished, silicon roller bushings, new seals (APEX and Tesla) and all factory lube removed and high quality Moly and Tar replaced (and more). The hollow stock of the Big Cat I center weighted and filled with cork.

It has a UTG 3-12X44 AccuShot SWAT IE Scope mounted (the illumination worked perfectly on low setting since these were night shots using only short burst flashes from a 10" police mag-light [torch] in my resting/artillery hold hand to get them to look at me). Yes, shooting this way was cumbersome, however necessary, but the well balanced, light-weight rifle (despite the heavy scope) it all worked out perfectly.

The following are the three laid out on a cement slab, and then another shot of them on the grass with the 10" flashlight in frame to give a size perspective. All 3 were direct brain head-shots, using 10.65gr H&N Baracuda Hunter pellets; two falling without a twitch with one having momentary postmortem muscle spasms.

These are laid out in the order that they were felled; the one on the far right is the one with the spasms.

Here they are with mag-light perspective:

As you can see these were no small raccoons and when disposing of them, let me tell you, they weren't lightweights.

Well, that's my little story to share. Once again, there are plenty to argue the power of a .22, or even a .25, and I agree that they do pack higher muzzle energy upon impact, but if you are using the right tool, proper pellet and marksman aim, in the end that's all that matters.

Thank you,

AGBUG

Proud member of the National Rifle Association and serving as a two-time enlistee in two branches of the US military (USN/USAF - Currently a USAF Reservist)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice work! I got started in this hobby a few years ago with my not so trusty Crosman Vantage NP 1200 in .177. I bought it to discreetly dispose of a family of groundhogs in my and my neighbor's yards. Family of five, most of whom were adult-sized if not mature, all crushed with my .177 and fuse-box shots. Not all of them were "one and done" shots, but my little .177 got it done. As you say, you just have to place the shot properly. I have since added a few .22s to the collection for hunting, which do seem to work a little better for larger animals (like groundhogs), but the .177 will still do the job with enough power and a properly placed shot.
Thank you Mentolio 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
AGBug
I appreciate you reading my little pest control story and thank you! The Vantage 1200 NP is a nice .177! I had considered using my Benjamin Trail NP 1200 that night, but the Cat has way more power and much lighter.

I too have added the .22 to my collection since. I was raised using the .177 (Crosman pumpers) for your usual plinking and the occasional tree rat that invaded my dad's garden. I love the magnum break barrels! There's a lot of power and with the right pellet you will definitely deliver the impact power. Smile

It's nice to meet another 'pester' when the job is needed. Great week to you!

Proud member of the National Rifle Association and serving as a two-time enlistee in two branches of the US military (USN/USAF - Currently a USAF Reservist)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Mike Lanum
Banned
I do animal control work and have for years relied on the .177 to dispatch coon and ground hogs when in towns. Shot placement is everything for humane kills. My go to rifle(s) of choice now is my discovery in 22 and my 25 marauder. People can run their mouth's all they want about the .177 being under powered, but people in the know who actually get out and do the work know they are a valuable tool for removing pests.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
AGBug
Mike Lanum wrote:
My go to rifle(s) of choice now is my discovery in 22 and my 25 marauder. People can run their mouth's all they want about the .177 being under powered, but people in the know who actually get out and do the work know they are a valuable tool for removing pests.

The Marauder is lovely PCP and the .25 is surely one hard hitting SOB! HA! Yes, the .177 is slapped around hard as a 'weekend can plinker' and like you, Mentolio above and many others out there know that it can deliver!

Thank you, Mike, for reading my post. It's greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
Mike Lanum
Banned
Keep up the good shooting and let us know when you get to put your shooting skills to work in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
AGBug
Mike Lanum wrote:
Keep up the good shooting and let us know when you get to put your shooting skills to work in the future.

Thank you and will do! Sorry for the late reply; work has had me traveling a lot lately.

Good shooting as well and everyone Smile

3 Pest Raccoons in 5 Minutes: .177 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting