Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Introduce Yourself » Howdy from the Show Me State
Howdy from the Show Me State 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
Bob in MO
Hi,

I recently acquired a Browning Leverage .177 for protecting my Purple Martin colony. I'm interested in doing a tune-up on it. I've searched the web and have not found much information on doing this. Does anyone have experience on performing a tune up on this particular gun and where to purchase upgraded parts?

Thanks,
bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi, Bob in MO.
Welcome to the forum! If you search the "Rifles" forum, you should find some Leverage posts (some of them mine). It's an easy rifle to work on, and Umarex USA is pretty good with parts. If you shoot them an email, they'll happily send you an exploded parts view and listing. A seal costs 10 bucks, as I recall. A new spring costs about 15 bucks. Really all the gun needed was a nice disassembly and cleaning, a new seal, lube tune, and a sheet metal sleeve inside the piston (decreases clearance between spring and piston, and helps keep grease from contaminating the air chamber).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Maybe polish the muzzle crown - it might not even need it.

When I was in high school my family had a motel. My dad made a scale model of the building for purple martens, except the starlings would arrive earlier in the spring and set up housekeeping. He sat on the porcelain throne with a .22LR and served eviction notices through an open window. Except for that one day when my mom cleaned the glass so well it looked like there was nothing there...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote
Bob in MO
Thanks for the welcome guys.
Going to email Umarex today for the exploded view.
Probably build my spring compressor this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Because of the shape of the "spring block," a spring compressor of traditional design won't work, and is really not necessary. The spring isn't under a great deal of pre-load. I place the muzzle on the floor, between my feet (to keep it from sliding around). Then I just push down on the spring block, remove the retaining pin, and slowly release. To reassemble, just do the reverse, CAREFULLY, and you're fine. Once apart, you'll probably find that the inside is full of rust/grit/greasy-junk. Cleaned up with a new seal, and it will smooth out significantly.
Howdy from the Show Me State 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Introduce Yourself