Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Avanti (Daisy) 853 Project Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
shawn706 is probably right about the nature of Daisy's business. The big box BB gun sales carry the company, and the 8XX's are an aside. The top of their product line to be sure, but a totally distinct market.

CMP has been a tax exempt non-profit since 1996 (Before that it was administered by the U.S. Army). Daisy's arrangement with them would make sense if they wanted to promote marksmanship and support the CMP, since the CMP no longer gets government appropriations. It would funnel those guns to the intended market without having an impact on their bread-and-butter market.

Daisy isn't alone. CMP offers significantly discounted products (to affiliated groups) from Vogel, H&N, Hammerli, Air Arms, Anschutz, and Walther.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
shawn706
AirGunEric wrote:
It's not 499's I'm talking about ($100.00 rifles)- it's the Avanti 800-series guns ($300.00 rifles)- which are their top-of-the-line product.

Yes, but their top if the line gun is still bottom of the barrel when it comes to sporter rifles. Even teams that stay in the sporter catigory, will eventualy upgrade to Crossman Chalenger, or T200

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Slavia
I shot a 3 position CMP program in the summer of 1989, back when it was a Guard/Reserve/Army affair. O.K., never mind about my qualification score. Shooting M1 Garands all summer with free ammunition was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
shawn706
Slavia wrote:
I shot a 3 position CMP program in the summer of 1989, back when it was a Guard/Reserve/Army affair. O.K., never mind about my qualification score. Shooting M1 Garands all summer with free ammunition was pretty cool.

I'm planning on taking my son to their 3p camp, hopefuly this summer. We want to send the whole highschool team, but the funding isn't there yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's an interesting concept- but what's to stop someone from purchasing a membership (or is there some sort of attendance requirement at meets to get a membership?) and then getting a rather steep discount on a rifle? Saving several hundred dollars on an Anshutz would seem to be a good motivator.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Slavia
It's both membership in an affiliate organization and participation in a marksmanship activity that includes live fire:
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles