Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Daisy Targetpro 953
Daisy Targetpro 953 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I mistakenly posted this in the Q&A section originally, sorry. I can see it belongs here instead.

I've had a number of air rifles over the years including several pneumatics and a barrel cocking rifle with extensive work done to it. One frustration with virtually all of them is the lack of accuracy. In the case of the springer, it is just too damn finnicky to shoot and I've grown weary of it.
In an attempt to start anew I have ordered a Daisy 953, From all accounts this gun should cure my accuracy issues. The only possible concern is whether the low power will suit my needs. I want to use the gun for target and for pigeon size game and smaller. My hope is that the ability to actually place a shot will overcome the detriment of low power. In the case of my springer, it is shooting 880 fps which flat anchors that size game IF I can hit them. I've wounded so many animals with that gun because of the "springer" affect that I just won't shoot at anything anymore.

So here is the meat of my question. I've heard far reaching numbers concerning the velocity of these rifles ranging from 380fps to over 550fps with average weight pellets. The factory spec is 560fps, but those factory numbers are probably a joke. I've gotten the idea that the faster ones have been worked on, but I can't find information about what specifically can be done to optimize the performance of this type of gun. I did find a link to a trigger upgrade.

I think if I can get the gun over 500 with a hunting pellet, I should be fine on all counts. Any chance you guys can help me out with tuning info or resources for parts? Does anyone have any useful info on this rifle?

thanks
Teryx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
I have the 853, and it shoots around 500 FPS. The 953 is the same gun, but without the Lothar Walther barrel. Even without the fancy barrel I have read that it is accurate. Just a little slow.

It is a single stroke pneumatic, with no intake valve - the piston holds the air in. Without the vibration and recoil of a springer it should be easier to be consistent. That, plus it won't be a scope killer (like some springers) so you have a wide range of choices for sight systems.

As far as modifications go - you are right; there isn't a lot out there. Regarding increasing the power: maybe some of our pumper guys have some suggestions about port polishing and piston head shape. Regarding accuracy: Polishing the muzzle crown can't hurt, and it might help. Like any other air gun, it will probably have a preference for a certain kind of pellet - experiment.

If the trigger mod you mentioned is the one I think it is, be careful! The mod works by shortening sear engagement, and you can adjust it almost to the point of release. If you go that route, give yourself a little breathing room so it won't go off unexpectedly.
http://www.pilkguns.com/daisy853tm.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Slavia. Yes that is the trigger mod that I found. I've done a good bit of action and sear work on firearms, so I know your warning is well advised Cool

I debated long and hard over the 853 vs the 953. The 853 is sweet! I settled on the 953 because most of my shooting will be in the field where I doubt I will get the benefit of the better barrel. There was a $200 difference in price. One other differences baffles me and maybe you know the answer. The 953 is listed as having 50fps higher velocity (510 vs 560). Any idea why?

I'm thinking that there are three possible ways to increase the performance if needed. Increase the compression ratio slightly, porting and polishing to deliver the gases faster, and optimizing the barrel length. I'm hoping to get some advice rather than be the first down this trail. I've got a chronograph so I'll take some baseline data when it arrives and let you know where it starts out.

Teryx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
The 953 is listed as having 50fps higher velocity (510 vs 560). Any idea why?

To tell you the truth, I haven't done much with mine - because they are not really mine. I have two that live in my house, but they belong to the county 4H federation. The only thing I've done is to put a scope on one, leaving the aperture sights on the other.

My best guess is that the Lothar Walther barrel is choked, and the 953 is not. Maybe that extra little bit of resistance accounts for the difference in velocity.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/454.php

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Slavia wrote:

My best guess is that the Lothar Walther barrel is choked, and the 953 is not. Maybe that extra little bit of resistance accounts for the difference in velocity.

Myth confirmed.

A buddy of mine owned a HW30S, and as we all should know, Weihrauch chokes all of their airgun barrels barrels. Anyway, he shorted the barrel by about 10 centimeters (5.90 Inch) which has gotten rid of the choke for sure. Accuracy increased, and so did the pellet speed, by at least 50 percent. The pellet became a bit less pellet fuzzy too.

Second case, same guy, Walther Dominator, also a choked barrel. He removed about 10 inch of the barrel (yeah, he really made it a shorty). Short range accuracy increased, and for as far as I know didn't decrease at long range up to 50 yards. He also lowered the power down to 22 Joule or so.

When a case can be repeated, it can be considered proven, unless proven otherwise, isn't it? Neutral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
The pellet became a bit less pellet fuzzy

I'm not familiar with that technical term, and it's not in the Airgunhome glossary. Elucidate, please?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Barrel! I ment that the barrel/rifle became less pellet fuzzy. Actually that should be fussy. Shocked

Dang, I'm out of things. But I did get a good shootin' yesterday, so I'll post up my standing 25 meter groupings after I had dinner. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL, Thanks for clearing up that fuzzy thing Laughing

Broommaster, so eliminating the choke INCREASED accuracy?? I thought the whole reason for the choke was to increase accuracy. WTF? Of course the Walther barrel is the reason for the lower velocity. I should have thought of that!

I'm most likely going to shorten the barrel because this design makes for an awfully long tube. From what I understand, you reach maximum velocity in 12 to 13 inches anyway. Does anyone have info that disputes that?

Teryx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Teryx wrote:

Broommaster, so eliminating the choke INCREASED accuracy?? I thought the whole reason for the choke was to increase accuracy. WTF? Of course the Walther barrel is the reason for the lower velocity. I should have thought of that!

Well, Lothar-Walther barrels have been questioned before. You'r not likely to end up with a bad one though. I'm not 100% certain that a de-choked barrel will cause an increase of accuracy.

It's not like my buddy who shortened his barrel has done it countless times to the same rifle. I have seen several "mods" that included shorting a rifles barrel though, and I can't recall that accuracy went down the drain. I AM talking about RWS/Diana and Beeman/Weihrauch rifles from what I recall.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fair enough, thanks! It's probably one of those things that are individual to the rifle in question. I can choke the barrel if I need to after cutting it. I'll just take it one step at a time.

Teryx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This may be a bit late though:

As to power, the Daisy Powerline 953 I have came from a guy that had filled the cavity in the piston head, and it does around 560 FPS with 7.9 grain pellets according to his crony. I think that is about all that can be done with this rifle to help power.

Using heavier pellets I do use mine to hunt some very very small stuff at very close ranges (under 15 yards). I do not think I would do that if it were out-of-box power though.
Daisy Targetpro 953 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles