Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » Aeon Scope rubber smell
Aeon Scope rubber smell 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
bbshooter
I'm a New Air Gunner and new to the forum. Looks very interesting.

I have a question...I was reading about the Aeon scopes in the Forums and like the scopes, BUT how do you guys get past that terrible Chinese rubber smell. I had two 10-40x56mm and had to send them back. The smell made us ill smelling it. Tried to clean rubber to get the smell out from the ideas on the internet, but no luck. I contacted Aeon Optics in China and they said that I could cut off the rubber. But said that I was the only one that ever complained about the smell of the rubber around the eye piece and scope covers. If more people complained they would consider using German rubber, but won't for one person. What do you think?

Thanks and great info on the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
You're never going to find enough people to make that happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
There are dozens of Chinese-made scopes- "Aeon" is just a name one of the re-packagers slapped on this particular selection.

As has been found out in the past with other companies, the Chinese don't seem to care about consumer complaints- they will only improve their processes and QC when their actual "customer" (i.e. the people selling the line) give them grief and have enough business volume that losing such business would be a problem for them.

That being said, I think the only importer in North America of this "brand" is PA- if they don't complain, nothing will change.

That being said, if carrying these scopes has become too much of a problem for PA, maybe they'll just stop selling them, period.

The "rubber" being made in China or elsewhere is not the issue- it's that the chemical mix making up the neoprene and plastic is obviously wrong and is venting VOC's (which can make people ill) excessively.

For optics, I tell everyone to stick to a "known" brand name with proper warranty coverage if the specific seller where one bought it goes out-of-business (i.e. the manufacturer has a proper office in the country where they are being sold)- yes, you'll probably pay more, but you'll have a product history and reviews galore available to make a judgement- from both fans and critics.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Just for kicks, I went and looked at the PA sight to see how these scopes are represented- and they strike me as too expensive for "no-name" Chinese anything- and they are ALL out-of-stock (is that some sort of message?).

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Aeon Scope rubber smell 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
bbshooter
AirGunEric wrote:
Just for kicks, I went and looked at the PA sight to see how these scopes are represented- and they strike me as too expensive for "no-name" Chinese anything- and they are ALL out-of-stock (is that some sort of message?).

Thanks for replying, "AirGunEric". I agree with you and think I should be looking else where.
I like their ''new trajectory' reticle so well but can't get past the odor. I do like the Hawke line because they are close to being the same type 'tree style' reticle.

Long story short...I contacted Aeon Optical in China...Very nice response. They would made me 2 Aeon scopes without rubber on them, until they contacted the US distributor and he told him out of the 1500 scopes they have sold I was the only one that ever complained. So I get no Aeon scope without rubber. The fellow in China said they even considered German rubber....but distributer here in USA shot that down.

http://www.aeonscopes.com/

The American in the picture is part of the USA distribution....Only US distributor along with the other people in the picture he told me. He is a good guy, he just won't do anything about that. rubber smell.

So much like I said for Aeon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Both of my Trail NPXL 1100 rifles' butt pads left their rubber smell on my shoulder even after a short shooting session, I know where you're coming from. It was nice to reminisce of shooting while often going about the day's obligations but even then it's not a pleasant scent
Aeon Scope rubber smell 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics