Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » .22 cast bullets???
.22 cast bullets??? 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Bowmann94
Does anyone use cast .22 bullets in an air rifle? I've seen them in .25 just wondering how they preform in .22?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Cast bullets are not common in .22 cal because they are difficult to get perfect.... the larger the caliber the less difference small imperfections in the bullet make.... However, swaged bullet in .224 cal, shot out of a barrel with a 14" twist, are used extensively in Holland to shoot some of the tiniest groups at long range in the wind.... The smallest I have seen is 11mm at 100 metres (7/16" C-T-C at 109 yards).... However the guns are quite specialized, they are tethered PCPs running at about 3500 psi, with barrels about 30" long....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Bowmann94
Ok makes sense... What's the ID of a crosman discovery .22 barrel I wonder? So does that mean .22 lr are swaged as well? I ask because if you could build a survival air rifle the ability to make your own bullets/pellets would be great. Not only would you have a quiet accurate small game rifle but being able to forget about gunpowder would be nice. Oh well guess it's another reason to convert to .25 when the money's right Rolling Eyes the wife will be pleased haha.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Hi there, Benson. Waseca here.

Quote:
being able to forget about gunpowder would be nice

I know what you mean. Survivalist mode aside, it would be nice to not have to wait for the FedEx truck.

Quote:
in Holland to shoot some of the tiniest groups at long range in the wind.... The smallest I have seen is 11mm at 100 metres

When the kids were in 4H we did an exercise with sights on a board, rigidly fastened to a table. The "shooter" would tell the instructor to move a pencil point around on a paper target, marking the "shot" when it appeared to be perfectly aligned in the sights. The resulting "group" could be considered as the tightest that shooter could manage, no matter how perfect the gun. I don't think I could see or hold 11mm at 100m. That's pretty amazing.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of chamber pressures are involved in a .22LR subsonic round?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
shawn706
Slavia wrote:
When the kids were in 4H we did an exercise with sights on a board, rigidly fastened to a table. The "shooter" would tell the instructor to move a pencil point around on a paper target, marking the "shot" when it appeared to be perfectly aligned in the sights.

We do something very similar to teach NPA. Any other tricks you remember from your 4h days I'd be interested in hearing about, perhaps on another thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
rsterne
Both .22 and .25 cal airgun barrels are smaller than the same caliber PB barrels, so the bullets made for the PB barrels won't fit....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Bowmann94
Hi nice to see a fellow Minnesotan on here's. Wish air guns were more popular here in mn...oh well.
Yep I totally agree that waiting for the fed ex truck is no fun, but it sure is great to come home to a bunch of packages. Smile

I've see swaged pellet making kits in .22 but there's no skirt on the ones I saw I wonder how they would fly.
.22 cast bullets??? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo