Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » .30 cal Grizzly Meets Mr. Marmot
.30 cal Grizzly Meets Mr. Marmot 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I took the .30 cal Grizzly out today for it's first hunt.... All the stars aligned, and a large adult Yellow-Bellied Marmot presented itself at about 35 yards, right where the gun is sighted in.... I took aim just behind the shouder and squeezed off a 45 gr. FX at 970 fps.... The Marmot dropped where it stood and in a few quivers it was all over.... It's one of the largeest I have ever taken, about 10 lbs., and boy, am I impressed with the whallop a .30 cal pellet packs at 94 FPE....

I was really curious how the pellet performed, so I searched for the entrance wound, and found it just ahead of at the point of aim....

I rolled it over and searched for the exit wound, and there wasn't one, but I could feel the pellet under the hide so I made a cut and peeled it back....

I recovered the pellet, and pulled back a bit more skin to find the exit wound, just under the front leg on the opposite side....

There was a lot of damage, and the pellet hit something pretty solid on the way through....

I didn't do a complete Autopsy, but I was sure impressed with the ability of the .30 cal to take a Marmot with a side shot to the vitals.... I have shot quite a few of these very tough critters with a .25 cal, and way over half of them make it back to their burrow, even with a really solid headshot.... When you consider the Grizzly has nearly twice the FPE at impact of my .25 cal, and it didn't exit, it shows why a heart/lung shot with a even a 52 FPE .25 cal would be questionable if you hit some solid bone on the way in....

These, like Columbian Ground Squirrels, are Schedule B pests in BC and can be taken at the request of the Land Owner when damaging Private Property.... Our local Rancher has problems with both, fortunately for me....

Bob

.30 cal Grizzly Meets Mr. Marmot 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting