Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » Newbie needs sound scope advice
Newbie needs sound scope advice 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi all,
I have a Crosman Vantage NP with the stock (bundled) 4x36 scope. My first scope wouldn't hold zero (kept moving in the rings, AND the rings themselves moved also) until I started using a one piece mount, and i always use the artillary hold (never resting the rifle on anything harder than my hand). Once finally anchored in one spot, the reticle broke (split diagonally right down the middle). Crosman customer service has been great all through the process, sending me two sets of rings and one replacement scope in an attempt to remedy the issue. Now that I've broken a second scope, I'm not sure what to do. Are the bundled scopes just "that bad" that they all break on spring guns, and if so, why keep bundling them on guns with such "fierce" recoil?
I guess my question is: do I BUY another scope? Is another scope going to prove more resilient against recoil, or would I be throwing money away? It seems unlikely that another (third) bundled scope is going to survive on my rifle; and I'm sure my rifle isn't some fluke "magnum gun" that will break any scope (tho that might be cool;). I have a Centerpoint Adventure Class scope (don't remember model, but is 3-9x40, with a dual color illuminated mil-dot reticle). Should I worry that my Vantage NP in .177 is going to kill that scope as well? What would you put on a spring gun that you never plan on shooting out past 40-50 yards at the absolute most, and only really have about 100 bucks to spend (shock-proof!). Sorry this post is so long, I try to give as much info as I can think of to a avoid "what about?" responses. Thanx in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Hi mentolio! Well to be honest, that adventure class is made differently than the scopes you have been stress testing for crosman. lol They have a piece of very thin metal cut out for the crosshairs. Your adventure class scope has the crosshairs ground into a lens. That's how they get that cool lighting effect. They shine the LEDs into the side of the glass. If you break THAT, then you need to go elk hunting with that rifle. lol I've got 2 centerpoint scopes and they both perform flawlessly on my Titan and my Beeman. And the beeman is particularly punishing on recoil since it's supposed to be a magnum airgun. With that said I make no promises. good luck! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
Well I had an Gamo IGT Stalker that broke 2 UTG 3-9x32 Compact CQB Bug Buster AO RGB Scopes. Amazon credited my account for the scopes. I returned gun to Pyramid but in the process learned a little about guns/scopes/scope mounts.

You need an airgun rated scope of which there are a few, I ordered a couple of "Hawke Sport Optics 3-9x40 AO Sport HD Rifle Scopes. 75.00 a scope.

Then I bought a couple "Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Mount w/1 Rings, 3/8 11mm Dovetail mounts"

These were installed on an HW50s and a Gamo Whisper and when mounting I used Blue Loctite on all mounts and ring screws.

This is just the way I solved my problems.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The scope with the Vantage is the same, lower-end 4x32 Crosman has included with the lower-priced break-barrels for the last 10-15 years- and it is only useful on the lower-powered products in my experience. The CenterPoint 3-9x40 should hold up better.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanx guys, I'll try the other scope I have and see how that does. Perhaps I'll look into the Hawke line as well...doesn't seem to be much, if any, negative press about them. When the new 4x32 comes from Crosman, I'll put it on my Model 1 multi-pump. Other than the act of pumping (which is probably enough to kill this junky scope) the Mod-1 has zero recoil. Crosman Rep says "all our scopes are tested from break-barrels to a .416 Rigby." That's just silly...why can't they just say: "sorry, our bundled scopes are crap. That's why we bundle them. Buy something better..."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
It's not only Crosman, Gamo sends similarly made scopes. Pre-newbies think they are getting "such a deal"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Not all the bundled scopes from Crosman are bad- just the two lower-end units (a 4x20 unit and the 4x32)- the rest are generally A-ok.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
AirGunEric wrote:
Not all the bundled scopes from Crosman are bad- just the two lower-end units (a 4x20 unit and the 4x32)- the rest are generally A-ok.

Well, they say the fun is in the pickin.
Newbie needs sound scope advice 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics