Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols » Slightly curved barrel. Ok to leave as is?
Slightly curved barrel. Ok to leave as is? 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
loudhvx
I have a new 2300t, from crosman, and it seems to shoot great. But I'm not familiar with the 2300/22xx guns, and I found the barrel is slightly curved upward. When I maxed the rear sight all the way down, it still shot about 3 inches too high at 9 meters. (I found other reviews saying that some 2300's had a problem with shooting way too high. Perhaps this is why.)

Since I knew I wasn't going to keep the original rear sight I disassembled the sight and made a much lower one out of the parts. Now it's just about right, but my question is, will the curvature somehow make the gun less accurate overall? More flyers? Larger groups? Or will it not matter in those regards?

I actually like being able to use a lower profile sight, and the one I made is much lighter than the bulky original one (but not as easily adjustable. I am modifying this gun to make it lighter for my girlfriend.)

Shooting in the basement, the groups are about 1 inch using a rest, but there are frequent flyers. I'm using cheap Crosman Destroyer EX (wadcutter with a point), and the cheap version of the Crosman Premier pointed pellets. The few Beeman Silversting pellets I tried seem more consistent, so maybe it is just the pellets.

Just wondering what I should expect out of the 2300t.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
As long as you can line the sights up correctly- the actual barrel "shape" isn't of much concern. Look here: http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=301

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
loudhvx
Thanks. Yes, this one is definitely a tack driver, now, at 9 meters. I was getting 1 inch groups with a lot of fliers at 9 meters. Turns out the makeshift rest was messing me up. Just holding it free hand, and letting the recoil happen naturally, I do much better. I'm able to hit a 3/8" square pretty regularly now.

I really like this gun (I bought a second one also), but the trigger was definitely creepy. The 2300 has an adjustable trigger tension, and reducing the spring tension made a big difference. I also took it apart and polished the contact areas on the trigger mechanisms. That made a much smoother pull. The only bit that seems a little rough is where the sear spring pushes on the sear. I may try to polish that up as well, but the trigger at this point is really nice now.

The second one I have also shoots high. I took it apart and the barrel is as straight as I can measure. I may try to shim the breech end of the barrel upward to tip it downward. That seemed to help the other gun as well. I think I'm using .005" shim stock.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I don"t know if this helps but I have had to add a front sight post to two similar platforms so far. usually requires 3/16 of an inch to put the rear sight at roughly 50%. Or to measure it a different way. from the top edge of the barrel to the top of the post you need 1/2" total.

For the sear spring to sear area. smooth the corners of the contact area to a slight radius and put some moly....etc on the area. This gets rid of the crunchy noise/feel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
loudhvx
I missed SMP's reply 3 years ago...

Belated Thanks for the tips.
Slightly curved barrel. Ok to leave as is? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols