Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Most Accurate Springer not taking into account price.
Most Accurate Springer not taking into account price. 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Slayer1
I was thinking about getting a new springer for squirrel hunting. I was thinking about a .22 or .25. Can you guys give me some advice on which one to get? I was thinking about a HW97K. Is there one out there better than this one? Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
There is not a lot of choice in high quality springers apart from the Weihrauch HW97K and the Air Arms TX200 HC, both are under lever and similar layout, the HK has the "Record" trigger and the TX has the "CD" trigger (Record - CD Get it?) which is a copy of the HK Record, both guns perform about the same, both weigh around 10lb with scope. the TX has a better finish to the stock and no iron sights purely a scoped rifle, where as the HK does have iron sights.

You can argue for ever which is best it's jus a matter which model you like. myself I prefer the TX for the looks and finish. I don't think there are any other Springer rifles which can complete with these carbines for style quality and finish.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Beeman RX/HW90 (go for the HW90 if you want iron sights as they are not available on the RX) series or RWS 48/52.

the RX are gas piston and have an adjustable pressure feature that enables 'tuning'. the 20/22 calibers seem to be the way to go with them as the 25 has only a few more fpe than the 22.

recoil is to be considered as is weight in hand with these rifles but they are highly accurate.

the RWS 48/52 is nearly the same insofar as power and handling but it is a 'true' sidelever cocking, springer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Responsible Fun
So many us, including myself, get caught up in the... What's the The Best or Most popular etc..etc, but Like Alstone said, "You can argue for ever which is best it's just a matter of which model you like." is what really matters at the end of the day.
RF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
redlock
To hunt squirrels you don't really need the most accurate gun, unless you are shooting at long ranges. If it's just accuracy there are few more accurate that the RWS/Diana 54 Airking. In 22 it's a 20 to 22 FPE gun. Plenty of power for squirrels. But - it is heavy. For a hunting gun, maybe a Diana 350 Magnum or 460 magnum would be a better choice to carry around. All are more than accurate enough. Also for a squirrel gun, look at a plain old Diana 34.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
old dad
I consistently am able to down squirrels from 10-40 yards with fixed sites with my cheapo Crossman storm and my Ruger nighthawk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
mr.grimm
My Umarex Octane .22 cal. is able to do 1/2 " groups @ 30 yards if I do my part.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Umarex/Browning Leverage in .22 definitely does the business with squirrel, and costs under $200.00. Trigger is not adjustable, and I'm CERTAIN the build quality isn't on a level with Beeman/RWS/Air Arms, but you also don't have to cringe when you get stuck in the rain, bump it into a tree, drop it in a mud puddle (like I would with a higher-end rifle!). It's not real "hold sensitive," and is very accurate with the right pellet (mine really likes JSB Exact 14.35 & 15.89 domes). That said when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll be looking at the RWS 460 Magnum.
Most Accurate Springer not taking into account price. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics