Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Throwning in the Towel / First Shot Accuracy Goto page 1, 2  Next
Throwning in the Towel / First Shot Accuracy 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Bill Cook
I have started two threads trying to find out if a spring air rifle (RWS Mdl 48 .22) can be counted on for first shot accuracy.

This has now disintegrated into just being able to shoot any small group. After about 10 - 15 groups this morning I came back this afternoon and at 15 meters with the best hold (learned by trial and error) led me to draw a 5 shot .923 group. At 15 meters! In the morning practice the bench rest style hold failed. A modest hold failed. A firm hold failed. I finally settled on a firm but gentle hold. BYW. Various grips RADICALLY changed the point of aim.

Folks I looked through a ton of scopes and pulled the trigger tons of time in my life. Before the trigger breaks there is no doubt that there is zero wiggle on the cross hairs. With the 15 power KT Weaver at 15 meters I could hold center on a fly. No wiggle. Zero. The trigger is breaking clean at less than a 1/2 lb. No creep.

Which brings up a side comment. Its a world of fun shooting fly's with a benchrest rifle at 100 yards.

Back to the issue here. I have limited confidence I could hit a quarter at 15 meters with the best of holds and the best of bench technique and bench equipment with this rifle, these two pellets that I tried and with the two scopes I tried.

BTW, RWS says they can shoot one ragged hole groups at 10 meters in their indoor range and I believe them.

I'm using a Leapers scope mount and that I have pulled and reinstalled. I have changed scopes (Leapers/Weaver). My Leupold's won't focus down to air rifle shooting distance or I would have tried them. I have tested two pellets, RWS Super Point and dome field line pellets 14.5 grain.

Could you give me an option of three pellets I could try?

Is there an air-gunsmith you would recommend?

PCP rifles would not fit the purpose I'm trying to fit. The purpose of my rifle was to shoot varmints between 15 and 25 meters that infrequently show up outside my shop window.

I just can't see a PCP holding a charge and expect consistent accuracy if you shoot it once ever few weeks. And besides the RWS was the best choice at the time, or so I though. Side charge, not a break action etc.

You gotta help me folks! Right this minute there's a starling rolling around in the grass laughing at me from about 25 meters away.

Thanks for listening. Bill.

PS. Hmmmm, maybe if I loaded three pellets at a time....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
A PCP should hold charge indefinitely. I only shoot my Discovery every few months and keep it ready and full.

I have not had an issue with hitting a quarter at 15 plus yards from a "cold" springer on the first shot if I do my part, but the POI may shift slightly as shooting continues, or if the rifle's temperature has shifted greatly where it is stored, eg winter and summer in an unconditioned space.

That being said, try Crosman Premiers in the cardboard box of 625. These are professional grade and come from the same die. The ones in the metal can are good, but not great.

Try H&N Match.

Try JSB Exact.

And always, always, always condition your bore by shooting at least 10-15 of any new pellet before judging its capability. The first pellet shot must also be the same kind as the last one the rifle launched before putting it away.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
PCP rifles would not fit the purpose I'm trying to fit. The purpose of my rifle was to shoot varmints between 15 and 25 meters that infrequently show up outside my shop window.

I don't see why not. Granted they are exspendsive and the unshrouded ones can be loud, but a PCP should fit the bill here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
radar wrote:
A PCP should hold charge indefinitely. I only shoot my Discovery every few months and keep it ready and full.

I have not had an issue with hitting a quarter at 15 plus yards from a "cold" springer on the first shot if I do my part, but the POI may shift slightly as shooting continues, or if the rifle's temperature has shifted greatly where it is stored, eg winter and summer in an unconditioned space.

And always, always, always condition your bore by shooting at least 10-15 of any new pellet before judging its capability. The first pellet shot must also be the same kind as the last one the rifle launched before putting it away.

Good luck!

What he said.

Reflect Jesus Christ-Not your surroundings.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
whm1974 wrote:
Quote:

I don't see why not. Granted they are exspendsive and the unshrouded ones can be loud, but a PCP should fit the bill here.

Very true! A PCP would fit the bill better than any other power supply.

They are inherently easier to be very accurate with.
They require less effort to charge (cock).
They are less pellet picky.
Virtually no recoil. Even out of a stock Condor!
No hold sensitivity at all.
Target versions are incredibly accurate. Bugs even make good targets.

Once you shoot one you will understand why people never go back.
Don't get me wrong I dig springers too. To mess around with and they
are a lot more of a challenge to shoot. But if I need accuracy, especially
quickly, I reach for a PCP every time.

Rob.

Thanks 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Bill Cook
OK I now understand the challenge of the springers and that with patience and pellet selection (Crossman Premiers, H&N Match, JSB Exact) I may be able to reach a marginal position with the springer. For POI consistency, first shot accuracy and distance accuracy; the PCP is the only option.

Understanding I'm opening Pandora's box in the center of the town square could someone give me a brief rundown on PCP rifles manufacturers that could be recommended for my application (varmints, ideally 15 to 45 meters), first shot accuracy, infrequent use.

Is there a "go to" web site for air rifles.

Would this lead me to the .25 instead of the .22. Or the other way and go with a .177??

To summarize the questions I have left:
- a recommended PCP rifle manufacturer that would fit my situation
- web source for buying the rifle
- caliper choice for 15 to 45 meters

Thanks again for all of the classy answers. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Some recommendations. Well, I can only tell you about what i owned.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Rifle_Pump/1534

Rifle is great in 22. Pump is a POS.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/USED_Hill_Pump_MK3_Up_to_3300_PSI/4042

This is the pump to go with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am partial to AF and FWB (probably too expensive), but even an entry
level PCP will get you there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
What's your budget?
There are some real pro-grade PCPs out there nowadays.
Research and buy the best you can afford right off the bat. It will probably save you money and headaches.

For your range, I would go with .22 or .25 caliber, but the .22 tends to shoot a flatter trajectory. Pellet selection is much, much better in .22, also.

I am happy with my Benjamin Discovery .22 caliber, and haven't had trouble with the pump that came with it, but the Hill pump is likely the best way to go. (Even PCPs need to find a pellet they "like" and have the bore conditioned to it, but less so than spring piston guns.)

My "Disco" is the hang on the wall rifle for occasional pests, including raccoons, in the wee hours. Benjamin Marauders or Air Force brand rifles are highly regarded, too, but I have no experience with them.

Personally, I have had very good service with Pyramyd Air, Airgun Depot, and Straight Shooters Precision Airguns. I have been unhappy with Airguns of Arizona, but they have good selection of top air rifles and the shipping was OK. I have been unhappy with dealing with them/reaching them when one of my new air rifles was defective though, and don't shop there anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I usually shop Pyramyd as they are stellar in service. If you are dissatisfied
with your purchase they will refund or replace it, no question asked. I have
bought stuff at Airguns of Arizona a lot but never tried to return anything.

Airgun depot is alright but I have been stung three times at Straight
Shooters and ended up with products that were not as stated. I did manage
to receive a refund on one item but I had to have an attorney friend send
a threatening letter to achieve it. Straight Shooters has been rude and
snooty on the phone several times also. If you go to their forum it is very
biased towards their products and there is quite a bit of misinformation on
it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
rsterne
and the bottom line is, whatever airgun you try, be prepared to go through LOTS of different pellets if you REALLY want to find the best one for your particular gun.... I have lots of guns that will shoot dime sized groups at 25 yards, but feed them a different pellet and you'd have trouble hitting a tennis ball at that range....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Robw wrote:
I usually shop Pyramyd as they are stellar in service. If you are dissatisfied
with your purchase they will refund or replace it, no question asked. I have
bought stuff at Airguns of Arizona a lot but never tried to return anything.

Airgun depot is alright but I have been stung three times at Straight
Shooters and ended up with products that were not as stated. I did manage
to receive a refund on one item but I had to have an attorney friend send
a threatening letter to achieve it. Straight Shooters has been rude and
snooty on the phone several times also. If you go to their forum it is very
biased towards their products and there is quite a bit of misinformation on
it.

That's good to know. My experience with them so far has been OK, but very limited. There are too many companies in different business out there nowadays that run understaffed, and act like the customer is a bother. 1. The ecomomy must be doing great and they can get away with it, or else 2. they are just numpties. I'll bet on number two!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
rsterne wrote:
and the bottom line is, whatever airgun you try, be prepared to go through LOTS of different pellets if you REALLY want to find the best one for your particular gun.... I have lots of guns that will shoot dime sized groups at 25 yards, but feed them a different pellet and you'd have trouble hitting a tennis ball at that range....

Bob

True. No matter what gun, it will have one or two pellets that will give
the best accuracy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
robert w
i only deal with p.a. and im very satisfied with them. you have a question, they will give a very in depth answear that ands your quest

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
old dad
I got my crossman storm and ruger black hawk for the same pesting purposes and have found the crossman destroyers ex to be really good for any shot. First, second, etc. most of my shots are 20-20 yards. The crossman hollowpoints aren't near as good for either of my guns. I've probably done in 20-25 with each rifle(2 different locations).

btw, I couldn't sight in the scopes that came with each gun, so I use the fixed sights on both guns now.
Throwning in the Towel / First Shot Accuracy 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics