Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » $50 (usd) chrony
$50 (usd) chrony 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
ginoe
anyone have experience with this device?:

www.catsdomain.com/chrono/index.html

i've recently acquired this chrony after reading up on it in the various forums. i was happy to see that they worked out the bugs on the 1st generation device & started making the ps2 in texas. when it arrived, i was immediately disappointed when i saw stamped on the plastic housing MADE IN CHINA (but after reading capt t review - only the housing is made in china).

i'm glad i made the purchase, the device works well. i've chrony'ed my various ag's through it (which made me disappointed again when i discovered the actual fps is not what the declared fps is). example: my stock 1377 stated 'up to 600 fps', i chrony'ed mine to be an average of 458 fps @ 10 pumps with a 10.5 grain pellet. i guess i have to pay closer attention to the meaning of '...up to...'

i am afraid to chrony my big bore .50 dragon claw with this (or any of my powder burners) due to the harsh muzzle blast. i was considering macgyver'ing up a blast shield to protect the chrony face (see pic of mock up).

for the cats that used this on their powder burners, what was the distance from the muzzle to the face of the chrony?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
RCTrax05
I have one on order -- I hope it works well... I've seen very mixed reviews on various airgun forums, but I thought it was worth a try...

Thanks for sharing your experience -- it gives me hope...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
NZ Shooter
Suspended
ginoe, alot of powder-burner chrony users measure 15 feet back from the chrony face, and calculate the muzzle fps with a formula that can be found online.
It takes into account specific ballistics for specific burner rounds, and works out muzzle velocity @ the crown/muzzle by compensating for the 15ft gap. You type in the cal. used, projectile grains, and chrono type.
I am not too sure where to find the programme, but a quick google search will no doubt pull up the desired result. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
dobiman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had mines for a while now and it is starting to give a lot of error readings (017) and will not register velocity. The sparse manual for it doesn't give any troubleshooting procedures.
When I cleaned the infrared LEDs with a tissue, it started to give velocity readings again. Maybe that was it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
For my Chrony F1 I got some scraps of polycarbonate from the local glass/window place. (Tougher than acrylic - used in safety glasses.) They are held in place with peel and stick velcro.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ginoe
i noticed that on mine too, then i replaced the battery - all is good.

dobiman wrote:
I had mines for a while now and it is starting to give a lot of error readings (017) and will not register velocity. The sparse manual for it doesn't give any troubleshooting procedures.
When I cleaned the infrared LEDs with a tissue, it started to give velocity readings again. Maybe that was it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
ginoe
thanks NZ, i'll start searching...!

NZ Shooter wrote:
ginoe, alot of powder-burner chrony users measure 15 feet back from the chrony face, and calculate the muzzle fps with a formula that can be found online.
It takes into account specific ballistics for specific burner rounds, and works out muzzle velocity @ the crown/muzzle by compensating for the 15ft gap. You type in the cal. used, projectile grains, and chrono type.
I am not too sure where to find the programme, but a quick google search will no doubt pull up the desired result. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good idea Slavia. Can you share a photo or two?

Reflect Jesus Christ-Not your surroundings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I ordered a Combro muzzle mount chrono off Ebay. It cost more, but not that much, and it's very compact. Can't use it for anything but air guns at the muzzle velocity, but darn I get tired of the whole chronograph set up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you have a link to the Combro chrony?

Reflect Jesus Christ-Not your surroundings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
This is what I got on order: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Combro-cb-625-MK4-Chronograph-Mesure-MPS-FPS-Velocity-/370539439953

Considering most chronographs start at about $100, I thought it was a pretty good deal. They seem to be highly regarded for reliability and accuracy in Europe and the UK where are very common.

Downsides: It can't take velocity readings at a distance to see how the velocity maintains at some given yardage, and it can't be used on firearms because the muzzle blast would destroy it.

This will be great to fit into my air gun range bag.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories