Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Picture Gallery » 2240 carbine project Goto page 1, 2  Next
2240 carbine project 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A quick shot

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice work so far! I see you cut the barrel huh?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah cut it down to 16 inches. crowned and polished. I will be using the same wood for the stock on a muzzle brake for it. I also changed the way that forearm looks. So far about 24 hours into it it is ready for either stain or oil,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You are going to make a wood brake? I like it...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah I already made the wood tube part of it and tonite I will make the aluminum end caps on my lathe, I'll post some pics later

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Wow that's pretty!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Now chrome the gun! @_@

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah not a big fan of chrome, do like nickle. The multi shot breech will be started soon. Still debating to use steel or aluminum. The debate is with steel I can $7 blue it, I also need to buy a $25 bandsaw blade to cut the steel and with aluminum I have to buy $40 dye and anodize it to get it black and hope that I can anodize it correctly. My first attempt at anodizing failed but I used cheap clothing dye and I dried the part prior to dying and was told I should always keep the part wet after the fact. So I am a little scared to try it again.

Anyway here is the first coat of sealer , was sanded to 150 and then wet sanded the sealer in with 220.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Looks good with the stain! I was thinking chrome if it retained that blonde, but I see its getting darker. That looks like it will look sharp no matter what you decide on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's not stain , that's the Danish oil which over the 2 years I have had it has turned reddish in color.

Here are two future breeches and brake

Getting my lathe chuck dialed in, could only get it within .002 good enough

Had to drill this out on the milling machine as my lathe chuck wouldn't hold the 7/16 drill( for the barrel)

And after about 2 hours on the lathe the end result , still needs a tapped hole for a set screw

Does almost make me want to keep it polished. But the anodized black is gonna look good too. Whew I am exhausted, time to kick back for a few

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
The wood on the brake is a nice touch. You don't see that very often.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The brake looks awesome Zip! I like it polished with the wood better than black.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ya know Ern I will put it all together polished and see if I like it but I am sure I will want the breech to be black and that means everything gets blacked out.

Ok put second coat of sealer wet sanded with 320. Also drilled and tapped set screw holes for the brake.

And the most tedious of all, took measurements and designed the multi shot breech. Here is a pic but please note that it has not been tested yet and on paper looks good but until its made and fired it is nothing. I accounted for the bolt clearing the clip. The only thing I am worried about is it will sit .110 higher. And as you cock it the bolt will hit higher on the hammer's cocking pin, this could cause it to rack inside the tube and make for a harder cocking.

Last edited by ZipSnipe on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ZipSnipe wrote:
Ya know Ern I will put it all together polished and see if I like it but I am sure I will want the breech to be black and that means everything gets blacked out.

Ok put second coat of sealer wet sanded with 320. Also drilled and tapped set screw holes for the brake.

And the most tedious of all, took measurements and designed the multi shot breech. Here is a pic but please note that it has not been tested yet and on paper looks good but until its made and fired it is nothing. I accounted for the bolt clearing the clip. The only thing I am worried about is it will sit .110 higher. And as you cock it the bolt will hit higher on the hammer's cocking pin, this could cause it to rack inside the tube and make for a harder cocking.

Looks pretty sweet on paper Zip, I hope it works out. Can't wait to see it put together, I think you will like the polished look...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok bottom radius is done on the breech. I did it on my milling machine with a fly cutter however I had to flip to part to do each end as I couldn't go all the way the full length. This caused the radius groove to be offset by a few thousandths of an inch. Fortunately I had the extra 2240 tube to wrap 60 grit sand paper to sand out the machine marks.

The next operation is to drill for the bolt and the barrel. I would love to be able to do it on the milling machine since it already set up for center of the breech. Also the barrel measures .428 in diameter not exactly 7/16 which is .437. I am debating if I should do the breeches on the lathe and use a boring cutter to get it to where its maybe .002 bigger that the barrel. Or just drill it and throw some shims in there. Same goes for the bolt is about .008 smaller than a 1/4 inch.

I also been following this guys blog http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/another-crosman-breech-attempt-part-5.html
he also made a multi shot breech and one of the problems he had was that the bolt hole and barrel hole were off center from each other and he was able to fix it but I hope not to run in the same problem. My breech is a inch shorter than his so that helps a little.

More to come.......

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Picture Gallery