Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns » Webley Senior restoration problem
Webley Senior restoration problem 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
Old silver
I purchased this gun [.177 and .22 barrels] many years back at a yard sale and it got put aside after I stripped and cleaned it. I recently started assembly and could not locate the barrel joint screw or the keeper screw. After searching , and of course blaming the missus ,I broke down and ordered these and 2 BSA trigger springs from John Knibbs Int in the UK. Service was great, [6 days by air for 10.00 UK ] To make a long story longer here is the rub. The #S21 joint screw will not thread into the RH side of the gun frame. I assume the internal threads in the frame need chasing so emailed JKI for the thread type,pitch etc. . They replied ,sorry, no specs. By my crude calipers I read 4.5 Mil x 0.5 pitch on the male thread of the screw [ I have a metric pitch gauge ] but can't get a proper read on the female. I dont think this Post War model , prior to 1964, would be metric. Maybe the screw has the wrong threads. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might not want to hear this but some manufacturers will make their own threads so that you would always have to get the parts from them.

Hopefully yours is not this problem.

What about re tapping and using a standard screw ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Hi
The Tempest probably has a UK, BSF fine, BA finer or ME Very fine, I am away from home this week so I can’t look at mine, but if you don’t get sorted by weekend I’ll get back to you.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Old silver
Hi ZipSnipe -- Thanks for the reply. The "screw" [ suppliers term] may be an OEM as you suggest. I don't know if John Knibbs Int stock OEM or aftermarket for Webley but the Chambers site states genuine Webley parts. I was going to order from them but they were out of stock of 3 of 4 items I needed. I will email JKI again to verify if OEM. The part in question should not be called a screw .In my opinion it's a hinge pin, approx 13/16" long with a threaded shoulder at the head . After the shoulder it is stepped down to a plain pin approx 5/32" dia. wiIh an internal thread for a lock screw. I think it would be very difficult to modify.

Last edited by Old silver on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Old silver
Hi Al - It appears you are right in your idea that it is UK ME Very Fine. This AM I checked it with my US Standard gauge and its finer than 40 TPI ,the finest on my gauge, so its likely 50 plus. The way it looks I will not have this solved by the week end so would appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi
Sorry for the delay I only got home yesterday.

OK then the screw data you require as far as I can make out is 2.65 x .5 pitch metric, or 0.104 inch dia x 50 tpi which is a Number 37 drill or 12g wire size, It doesn’t match any UK thread ME stops at 40 tpi and BA is to coarse. So it looks like a webley special.

You could try Tamiya the RC car maker who make a 2.6mm thread for their Cars, but I do not know the pitch. Or you could re tap to 3mm x . 5 pitch and use a standard screw, which I think is your best bet.

Al

Webley Senior restoration problem 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns