Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Benjamin NP Trail issues
Benjamin NP Trail issues 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i have accuracy issues with my .22.

i've corrected issues with the barrel pivot and stock mounting and installed and adjusted the aftermarket trigger.

i've tried numerous varieties of pellets and checked the crown.

still not accurate.

i suspect the shroud as being the culprit. (or at least, a part of the problems)

i suspect when tightened, it generates a 'pulling' stress that is NOT equal.

when i remove the shroud, the POI changes DRAMATICALLY!

i also suspect that the thin barrel (0.513") is subject to harmonics generatd from the violence of the NP that throw off accuracy.

i am going to try a barrel weight of some sort, sans shroud and see what happens.

any ideas? Neutral

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
As I recall a couple years ago- seems that the original Crosman "NPSS" rifle had some issues like this- turns out the shroud 'cap' (or whatever we want to call it- the threaded piece for the end of the shroud) had a hole that was too small for the pellets and airflow to move correctly- as I recall, drilling out a bigger hole in this 'cap' solved the problem.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AirGunEric wrote:
As I recall a couple years ago- seems that the original Crosman "NPSS" rifle had some issues like this- turns out the shroud 'cap' (or whatever we want to call it- the threaded piece for the end of the shroud) had a hole that was too small for the pellets and airflow to move correctly- as I recall, drilling out a bigger hole in this 'cap' solved the problem.

i never thought of that.

but...in line with that thought...the exit orifice is hex shape to allow a hex allen wrench to tighten/loosen the muzzlecap.

maybe the hex shape is influencing the pellets exit behavior?

maybe if i drill the orfice round and mill flats or knurl to tighten?

as a sidenote: there seems to be no audible difference in sound with, or without, the shroud... Neutral

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The shroud is BS- it's cosmetic- there is no baffling, no vents in the barrel and no air stripper- it is completely useless for the most part. Just as a sort-of "proof" of this- in Canada, functional shrouds/suppressors are completely illegal, but the government "approved" the sale of the NP's with shrouds after inspecting them...

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i chucked up the muzle cap and bored the 'hex' out to 5/16" round...i'm gonna try it today and see what it did...if anything. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
mtsheron
Good luck. I had to sell mine because after adding the GRTIII which was a nice piece and then the barrel washer mod and polished/honed/deburred the piston cylinder and cleaned the piston chamber the gun still had fliers! I gave up and bought a Weihrauch and have never been happier. I hate it because the platform for the Trail is nice; just still needs some refinements by the factory to make it workable and most importantly keepable!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the drilling of the muzzlecap did not seem to help.

i am not sure of my next step...but i am going to disassemble and replace the pistons seal, clean and de-burr...etc

like the post above...i like the platform but the Benjamin Trail NP seems to have a "Hit or miss" built into the engineering somewhere...

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
mtsheron
donwalk wrote:
the drilling of the muzzlecap did not seem to help.

i am not sure of my next step...but i am going to disassemble and replace the pistons seal, clean and de-burr...etc

like the post above...i like the platform but the Benjamin Trail NP seems to have a "Hit or miss" built into the engineering somewhere...

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Seems some have great success with these guns while a majority fall on woeful hours trying to make them work. Now mine I sold to a fellow GTA member says it shoots like a dream. I could not be happier for him. Maybe I just could never master the hold sensitivity this gun has according to alot of folks. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
update:

to date, i have:

drilled the muzzle-cap and enlarged the holes in it to slots
replaced the piston seal
honed and de-burred the cylinder and piston
installed a delrin bushing on the NP for the piston to travel on
re-crowned the barrel and chamber

the biggest improvement came from the bushing.

it now cocks and fires very smoothly and there seems to be some improvement in accuracy.

i chose to forego installation of the brass pivot washers for the time being as i believe the plastic washers work ok...but...i may decide to install the brass ones in the future.

at 15 yards, it is highly accurate...5 shots within 3/4"...longer ranges it's still acceptable for hunting accuracy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
Airhead
I had accuracy problem with my trail as well, I check the usual area for problems and didn't find anything. My classic .22 would shoot wood screws at 10m, while my trail just drove me nuts with its accuracy issues.

Benjamin Classsic
Walthers CP Sport

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
bigmoose
I registered just to post "the" fix to my Benjamin Trail NP in .22 Accuracy was all over the place with flyers 4 inches off center at 20 yards. First shot was almost off paper most of the time. I went over everything, multiple times. I installed a GRT trigger, I opened her up and checked the piston and nitro cylinder. I tightened all pivot points... still marginal and inconsistent to the point this airgun was going to be given to someone.

I finally ordered A New-Gamo Tesla Custom Piston Seals Code: GPSTL (it fits my Benjamin). The factory seal was about 0.008 to 0.010 inches smaller in diameter than the Tesla. Tesla measured around 0.997 in diameter and the factory seal around 0.986 or so. The piston would fall free through the compression space with the factory seal.

Put everything back together, and the airgun has become a tack driver. Nickle sized groups at 20 yards are no problem, with a few going through the same hole. No flyers. First shot is as accurate as the 10th. This was hand holding against a post and not off a bench.

If you are having difficulty and cannot find the problem, break your Benjamin Trail NP down and replace the piston seal with something in the 0.995 to 0.998 inch range.

All the best,
bigMoose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
JeJa
Have to agree with Big Moose. I was having the same probs with accuracy. I did a full tune, new piston seal(telsa) honed the chamber, moly, etc, gold trigger and new washers. WOW is all I can say. .25 inch groups at 15 yards.
Modding and upgrading is part of airgunning. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
robert w
have you checked the crown? a few had rough crowns too. use a qtip and just put in in the bore and turn it n see if the cotton grabs on any of the rifling

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
bigmoose
Robert, I did recrown mine. It was one of the first things I did. It did not provide the accuracy improvement that the new piston did. The factory crown was terrible with epoxy spattered over the crown, apparently their form of "loktite" to secure the shroud threads.
Benjamin NP Trail issues 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles